PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! stress and a jelly leg

piggywiggy59
09-06-10, 14:33
hi there!

i suffer with GAD and lower back pain to boot and suffer the general symptoms of this - stress headaches, back pain, neck and shoulder pain, palpitations, pins and needles (plus a numb tip of my big toe through my trapped nerve in my back) and am a constant worrier.

as i am typing this, my hands have decided to shake too!!

the symtoms come and go (especially if i am occupied they do tend to disappear, like when i'm at work) but i'm off today and my jelly leg has come back.

i've been to the docs a couple of months ago and he said it was just stress and i told him i had a jelly leg and he said this was stress too and can cause all sorts of symptoms, but i wondered if anyone else has a jelly leg (only one side!)

any help or advice would be appreciated so much! thanks! xxx

Angelai
09-06-10, 15:18
Hi

I do get this, but in both legs (and arms, usually :weep:). It tends to sort of wash over me, and I feel like I've been injected with something. Not a nice feeling! I also feel like I'm trembling inside.

Hope this helps x

Bill
10-06-10, 02:55
I've no idea as to the exact biological reasons as I'm not in the medical profession unlike some others on here but my guess is that when we feel anxious it affects our nervous system so affects the whole body in different ways such as tingling, ibs etc.

I know when I've felt very anxious my legs have felt like jelly but also for the past few weeks I've also been suffering back and leg pain causing tingling in one leg. It literally is a pain!:mad:

the symtoms come and go (especially if i am occupied they do tend to disappear, like when i'm at work)

That's because you're not thinking about feeling anxious. When we think about our anxious feelings, we make them worse because they make us worry causing more anxious feelings. In other words we feed our anxiety. When you don't think about anxious feelings, they starve which is why they go away and we feel much better! For instance, alot of panics occur because sufferers are so frightened of them. Their fear then creates anxious symptoms because they keep feeding their anxiety.

I find the best defence against anxious feelings is to ignore them just as you do when you're occupied at work. If we try to fight them it means we're focusing on them trying to make them go away but this then creates tension because we're trying to put up a barrier against them. It's counterproductive because the tension then causes stress making us anxious so creating more anxious feelings. If we can ignore them just as we do about a sneeze, they go away because they're not getting the attention they're after.:hugs: