PDA

View Full Version : Why do we always link minor symptoms to major diseases??

Girl_Interrupted
10-06-10, 14:01
I have been going through a HA flare up in the past couple of weeks and have been plagued by minor health symptoms, from poor concentration to a rash on my legs!!

Why is it though that EVERY health symptom I get is something major, of course none of them have been and all my concerns have been normal!! So why do we get things out of perspective and freak out??

oneofus
10-06-10, 14:12
Or to put it another way why did my doctor think my crippling abdominal and back pain was merely a minor upset stomach, when it was in fact my gall bladder giving me a major kicking.

Next time I have a major does of flu or whatever, I'll tell myself it's just a runny nose and then all will be well with world:-)

Zee
10-06-10, 14:21
My flare up has been going on 3 months now. Started as indigestion and eversince have had all kinds of things come and go.

Helen1973
10-06-10, 14:26
I would say it is because, unfortunately, some major diseases have symptoms that are also very common, everyday symptoms of other far, far more common minor conditions etc

Not helped by evangelical medical campaigns that massively highlight these common symptoms, thus flooding the NHS with 'just in case' diagnostic tests all driven by a paranoid insurance led response to people sueing their doctors right and left for not being practically psychic. Plus, the media's obsession with convincing us all that the NHS is incompetent and couldn't diagnose a pimple properly.

Have you never wondered why doctors are so reluctant to give a full opinion without a dozen disclaimers added on? If you try and get one from them they wriggle and squirm like bait on a hook. Possibly their indemnity insurance won't cover them if they do state something definite.

oneofus
10-06-10, 14:41
Awww! Come on Helen, give the poor NHS some credit.

I did go back the next day, and the doc said "Oh! I thought that might be the problem but you you didn't say the right words":)

Mmmmm.....

Helen1973
10-06-10, 15:13
Awww! Come on Helen, give the poor NHS some credit. I did go back the next day, and the doc said "Oh! I thought that might be the problem but you you didn't say the right words":)
Mmmmm.....

Funny in a sad sort of way. I'm glad it was sorted out for you.:yesyes:

I'm honestly not too hard on the NHS. I blame the media and the medical councils, as well as folks that sue to the point that almost every aspect of our society is paranoid about even the tiniest risk, in case of being sued. The NHS and local councils respond to demands from their insurance companies who've had to pay out in the past when negligence wasn't even an issue--all thanks to ambulence chasing over the last two decades. As such, doctors have to reassure their insurance company that they will not say such things as..."Look, your symptom is as common as muck. The likelihood of it being cancer (or whatever) is astronomically low. I really don't think you need to worry about this."

They can't.

No wonder we get anxious!:wacko:

shell24
10-06-10, 15:43
The NHS would be a fabulous system if resources were made available but unfortunately the government doesnt find it important enough. It would help though if people understood how much things cost to run in a hospital. It really makes me laugh that ambulances are called for people who have a cold and have a temperature because they cant get an app with their GP or in some cases dont have a GP because they have just arrived in the country and realise the system is free. I dont think people really understand that it cost thousands for an ambulance to go out on a call and can also leave someone who urgently needs medical help waiting for this because their busy explaining the flu to certain people who are ignorant to the fact. Im not surprised doctors and nurses have lost faith in the own system they work in. People are so ungrateful and demanding and find it an inconveinaence to wait two hours for a non urgent scan because the drs are saving someones life in the other room. I agree with Helen that people expect Dr's to be pyscic! If people dont trust the NHS.......dont use it!!! After all its your health, pay for it if you think you will get a "better" diagnosis. Although this never happens, people would rather use the system and compalin they had to wait 3 hours in A&E!

Maybe we should adapt Americas theme and pay for healthcare!