PDA

View Full Version : Flying on Saturday morning and having severe anxiety!

GirlAfraid23
10-06-10, 15:44
I'm flying with my boyfriend for a holiday from the UK to Portugal (Maderia) on Saturday morning. It is a 3 and a half hour flight apparently - my longest! I am so scared. The last time I went on a plane was last summer and I had a mini panic attack on the plane where I couldn't move and it felt as though water had been thrown over me. I went all weird and just stared at my friend and she thought I was mad. My heart was beating extremely fast. Apart from that, I did pretty well.

The problem with this time is that my anxiety and paranoia seems to have got alot worse in the last year. I am now scared of going on the underground (tube trains) which I was fine with before. I also hate crowds now and don't lock public toilet doors :( this is a horrible one but I am so scared of being locked in. Especially if there isn't an opening at the top or bottom. My boyfriend thinks I'm mad.

I am scared of the plane crashing, I am scared of being in an enclosed space and having no escape. At least when you're in a train or car or even a boat you have SOME chance of survival. I am scaring myself so much. Plus I'm worried there will be a strom or the ash cloud will come back and ruin the engines or something.

I am also on the contraceptive pill, I am worried about the DVT risk, I know its silly and I'm young and have no history of this but you never know. I'm taking precautions. For example, not wearing jeans and moving my legs around throughout the flight.

Does anybody have any advice for me? I'm so worried!

shell24
10-06-10, 15:53
Hello, I have a fear of flying too!!! Try not to get worked up about it, always just think of the worst thing that can happen and the liklihood of this happening. So if you get a panic attack........what will you do? Just let it come and ride the emotion. Its so much easier said then done but think of the holiday and the enjoyment. I always tell the air hostess of my fear before we take off and the majority are extremely supportive. Sit on the aisle seat and when you take off and the seat belt sign comes off go for a little walk up and down the aisle, this always helps me feel less claustraphobic. If you need to use the toilet, bring your boyfiend with you to the loo to wait outside so you dont have to lock the door. Your chance of getting a DVT on a 3 and a half our flight is rare. Just wiggle your feet and legs regularly and you will be fine! drink plenty of water and enjoy your holiday!!!!!:yesyes:

hallam11
10-06-10, 16:21
I agree with the above comment. Firstly you have had panic attacks before and have come out of them fine if even a little shaken but more or less ok right? So what if you have one? I'll bet there's others on the flight or find flying a difficult ordeal DVT on a 3 1/2 hour flight isn't an issue. I went on a 4 hour flight a few weeks back and I am extremely overweight as well as on the pill and If I was ok then you will be fine.
The claustraphobia is a harder one to deal with but try and remember that you are more likely to be an accident in everyday life than have an accident on a plane.
Have a look on the net and get some leg exercises and you will be fine. I would take a book, a puzzle book and maybe an ipod to help you. These saved my life on my flight....also I can't handle a lot of noise so I took these foam ear plugs and they helped lots!!!!

Enjoy it! xxxx

Anxious_gal
10-06-10, 18:32
ask your doctor for a sedative maybe? to help keep you calm.
I personally found that reading a few books on fear of flying really helped me feel more confident.
another things that help is talk to the trolley dollies :)
they can be really reassuring and sometimes they can just tell your nervous and will smile at you, which really helped me!

daybyday
10-06-10, 18:38
Hope knowing that we are all thinking about you will give you the comfort that you need, and to enjoy the beauty of the land and waters of God's creation. If you need a mild sedative just to take the edge off ask your dr. who knows you and your struggles.

GirlAfraid23
11-06-10, 14:34
Ok so, I am flying tomorrow as the subject title says.

I am scaring myself by looking up things like "how likely is a crash?"

All this stuff came up about "how to survive a crash" and all the experiences that people have had.
My head really hurts and I keep bursting into tears.
I have just told my boyfriend I'm not sure if I can go tomorrow and he's really upset.
Please help!
Just took some anti-stress herbal tablets...havent really helped

Anxious_gal
11-06-10, 15:11
the honest answer is planes rarely crash. you have more of a chance of getting hit with a golf ball ! or getting into a car crash.
Flying is not dangerous at all I promise.
the plane has high tec equipment and most of the time runs on auto pilot.

Horse
11-06-10, 15:22
As a brother of a retired airline captain with over 40 years flying experience, I can assure you that there is nothing to worry about!

Firstly, DVT is highly unlikely with someone of your age on a three and a half hour flight.

The aircraft you will be flying on will have had more regular checks than your car does.

No pilot will fly an aircraft unless in his opinion it is safe to do so.

Consider the amount of road traffic accidents everyday compared to airline crashes, it's safer up there than it is down here.

Take plenty of reading matter and mention to the crew that you suffer 'extreme' anxiety. They will probably look after you a bit more than normal.

You have flown before, so you know that aircraft don't travel in straight lines and therefore have to turn, which can be unnerving for the traveller. Also, you will know all the strange noises you hear whilst up there because you've done it already.

Therefore, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Go and have a lovely time.

margaret jones
11-06-10, 16:11
Bless you a lovely holiday and you are feeling so stressed , it is a horrid feeling but you no it will be ok :) because you have been there and survived try and let the advice everyone has given you help to assure you that you will be ok and go away and have a lovely time .
We are all anxious about travel and yours is air mine is to but i went to America and survived .
Take Care Maggie
PS Dont forget the suncream :winks:

hallam11
11-06-10, 17:37
Don't look up crashes or anything like that because it will only act to fuel your anxiety. There is no chance that you will crash at all.....all of those of which you hear about are in other countries who do not properly check their airplanes. You will be flying with an approved fda aircraft. Do not worry..... the worst thing I had to deal with on the flight was a screaming kid! But I just had to put my ear plugs in and was grand. Take care, you can do this xxxxx

joans60
11-06-10, 18:51
Hi There
I dont like flying but I have just come back from Turkey and also Florence we also was sent home on the Sunday because the airport was closed so I thought Oh no I am not going to make it but I did. We had to turn up again on the Monday.
Have you tried rescue remedy I find it very good.
Ask for a seat on the end not by the window also have you got any relaxation music take that on with you and when the plane has set of you can put it on and that will help you.
Do not go you will do it think positive
also take a book with you.
Good luck let us all know how you get on but you will do it and the time will fly bye on the plane.

Joanx

tiresmokinad
13-06-10, 07:57
I'm flying with my boyfriend for a holiday from the UK to Portugal (Maderia) on Saturday morning. It is a 3 and a half hour flight apparently - my longest! I am so scared. The last time I went on a plane was last summer and I had a mini panic attack on the plane where I couldn't move and it felt as though water had been thrown over me. I went all weird and just stared at my friend and she thought I was mad. My heart was beating extremely fast. Apart from that, I did pretty well.

The problem with this time is that my anxiety and paranoia seems to have got alot worse in the last year. I am now scared of going on the underground (tube trains) which I was fine with before. I also hate crowds now and don't lock public toilet doors :( this is a horrible one but I am so scared of being locked in. Especially if there isn't an opening at the top or bottom. My boyfriend thinks I'm mad.

I am scared of the plane crashing, I am scared of being in an enclosed space and having no escape. At least when you're in a train or car or even a boat you have SOME chance of survival. I am scaring myself so much. Plus I'm worried there will be a strom or the ash cloud will come back and ruin the engines or something.

I am also on the contraceptive pill, I am worried about the DVT risk, I know its silly and I'm young and have no history of this but you never know. I'm taking precautions. For example, not wearing jeans and moving my legs around throughout the flight.

Does anybody have any advice for me? I'm so worried!

I think you should relax yourself and trust that there will nothing happens to you. Or you should pray to God so that He can give you strengths in you flight. :yesyes: