PDA

View Full Version : Frightened Newbie

redphoenix
10-06-10, 18:39
Hi I'm Teri. I've just found out I've got panic disorder and social phobia and spent the last few weeks thinking I had some terrible dangerous illness that the doctors had missed because my stomach was very bad. I would get dizzy and my whole body would tremble. I burst into tears at the moment when I get nervous.

I'm also due to try a phase back to work on monday morning but I have to go into a meeting first thing to work out the details which scares the hell out of me. I don't deal well with uncertain situations anyway and I have no idea what hours to suggest when they ask me. I'm afraid I will just have a nervous breakdown and have to go home again. Any suggestions?

Hello.

:unsure:

diane07
10-06-10, 18:42
Hi redphoenix

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

redphoenix
10-06-10, 18:46
Thank you very much. I was making good progress and then when I spoke to my boss she sounded fed up and I started worrying again. I guess I hadn't fully thought through the phase back to work.

Jonathan05
10-06-10, 22:19
Hi Teri, I'm new too

I only signed today after reading alot of the help articles the the left of the page, dunno if they will but they might help you get to the bottom of why the panics start.

Hope you can keep your cool for your interview,
Your already stronger than I am =]

Going home
10-06-10, 23:50
Hi Teri and welcome. If you type in 'returning to work' in the search bar at the top of the page, and then tick the box that says 'Title threads only' you will see alot of posts by other members on this subject and how they coped with it.

Best wishes
Anna xxx :flowers:

Veronica H
11-06-10, 23:35
:welcome:Teri.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Mindfulness? Both also good for us overthinkers. Another book which has really helped me is;

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3.He is a French Buddhist monk and a very accomplished man....here is a link to one of his talks.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ri...happiness.html (http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html)

This will get better. Veronicax

redphoenix
12-06-10, 16:07
Thank you very much for all your advice. I'm getting a better grip on my morning anxiety and I've got an appointment for some counselling monday evening as well. I'm finding the worst time at the moment to be at night before I go to sleep. I start feeling panicky then and worry that if I don't manage to calm it down then that I will wake up feeling like I can't breath - which is what happened to me before.

Thanks for your support everyone.

:)