PDA

View Full Version : Im new, i need reassurance, please somone tell me im not alone!

FABRIC
10-06-10, 22:47
Basically, Im a 19 year old boy, my life has certainly not been a structured one, however i will not go into this. Over the past 2 months alone, a friend from work, the same age as me died suddenly in his sleep. I had a pretty horrific car crash and then my girlfriend of 3 year's brother killed himself.

It's hard enough to stay strong through this stuff i know, but what bothers me most i think is my mum, she has severe depression and has been on medication since i was born. however; she means the world to me and she is my rock.

NOW TO MY ACTUAL POINT! i swear i have hypochondria,

I have a heaviness on my chest, almost like its a slight effort to breath. Ive been to the docters and he said i had a perfectly normal blood pressure, heart rate and lungs. after i went from the docters i felt uplifted and it went away for a week. However, yesterday it came back again when i started thinking about it, and it really scares me. IM IN A CONSTANT STATE OF PANIC!

Does anyone else get these feelings, is it normal? will it get better, any suggestions to get my mind off it?

Going home
10-06-10, 22:55
Hi Fabric and welcome to the forum. Well first of all you'll find that most people on here feel these symptoms too so you are definately not alone. Secondly, have the symptoms only cropped up since all the trauma...so sorry about all the things you've had to go through, its enough to make anyone feel as bad as you do right now. The reason I ask is because there is such a thing called post traumatic stress disorder...ptsd, and can cause all the symptoms of anxiety and depression. or have you always been a sufferer?

Anna xxx

MeToYou
10-06-10, 23:01
Yeaah I know what you mean
Somebody I knew died in a car crash on sunday him and his girlfriend
Now im scared to get in a car
they were both only 21 and theyre both dead
ive not been in a car since
I mean ive always heard of car crashes but ive never really thought about it til it happened to somebody that i was close to.
My grandma also died 2 years ago in november and she was only 62 she just randomly dropped dead from a heart attack so whenever i feel a pain in my chest i start to panic and think im just going to drop
Its normal when you hear about things happening to the people close to you to feel like its going to happen to you aswell but the best thing to do is just not think about it and try to think of your future, because im sure your not going anywhere anytime soon and neither am i hopefully! im younger than you! lol
Good luck hope you feel better soon xxx :D

Going home
10-06-10, 23:06
MeToYou, so sorry to hear about your friends...god thats so awful. Its good that you can think of it in such a positive way and give positive advice to others even in the middle of your own grief.

Many thoughts with you matey
Anna xxx

...and what a great avatar, who doesn't love a butterfly.

FABRIC
10-06-10, 23:07
The reason I ask is because there is such a thing called post traumatic stress disorder...ptsd, and can cause all the symptoms of anxiety and depression. or have you always been a sufferer?

Anna xxx[/QUOTE]

well ive always been a worrier and ive had lots of different shity reactions to stress, about 2 months ago i had a dull stomach pain for two whole weeks i went to the docters about 3 times cause i was so scared and then it just went!. the docter told me it was either stress or a virus all along, and clearly they were right. i just dont know why after every symptom and disorder that has been brought on by stress that i still cannot get my head round the fact that im not terminally ill or something really bad is wrong with me.

MeToYou
10-06-10, 23:08
Thanks Anna xx

Fabric....Yes there is such a thing as ptsd... google it. Best wishes xx

Going home
10-06-10, 23:12
Because when we're in the middle of all the anxious thoughts its hard to think rationally about it. If you read the threads and posts on here you'll see the pattern repeated many times over. What we then lose sight of is the fact that its actually ok to feel anxious in certain situations, its normal and we cannot strive to get rid of anxiety completely...our bodies are made to produce adrenalin and cortisone when we are faced with stress and these produce symptoms that range far and wide beleive me.

Anna xxx