PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine and Weight Gain

Antipodes
11-06-10, 02:04
I have been A/D med free for a couple of years and preferred to rely on CBT and Meditation due to numerous side-effects of the pharmaceutical meds.

My psychiatrist has urged me to try this med. I have researched it and see about 50% of users experience weight gain of 7% body mass or more.

I'd be interested to hear from other users about how I can be one of the 50% that does not pile on weight or any tips / warnings from those that experienced weight gain about carbohydrate / sugar cravings or whatever leads to the hazard of weight gain.

Danath
11-06-10, 02:17
you just have to exercise self control and keep getting exercise im afraid matey, though you have to weigh up the pros and cons, ask yourself, will putting on a little weight be so bad if you benefit from this medication?

JT69
11-06-10, 10:03
Hi I gained half a stone which being over-weight in the first place was not good but it just happened and I cant say that I was pigging out either.

For me it was take the meds and feel better mentally and worry about the weight issue later on once well again.

I am still trying to get to that stage...I take three steps forward and then two back so on the rocky road still but the meds have helped me back to work and at least able to cope with the day to day issues of life and have a really good nights sleep.

The decision has to be from yourself.

Take care.
Jo.

Abs79
11-06-10, 10:11
I have only been taking it for 6 or 7 weeks but I haven't gained a single pound! So you might be one of the lucky ones... I do generally eat healthily and do a moderate amount of exercise but for about the first month on the mirtazapine I felt quite ill (got plenty of other side effects!) so didn't do much exercise at all - still no weight gain. So don't worry about it too much - you might not have a problem with this side effect at all and if you do, I'm sure that eating healthily and keeping active will at least minimise it.

Antipodes
11-06-10, 10:50
Thanks for these replies - I see it's the 50/50 some do and some don't. I will be very careful to ensure my diet remains the same and be alert to cravings for carbs and sugar (which may not happen). I have been on many meds over the years and am consenting to this one because they have found I have too much histamine and too little of the neurotramsmitters (from a blood test). I just wasn't alert to press for details of the potential side effects of this med and thought I'd check it out. Let's hope it works eh? Looks like I might not be needing Zopiclone for helping me sleep.

JT69
11-06-10, 10:56
Hi Antidopes,

No you wont need zopiclone cos the mirtazipine will take care of the sleep issues...I have no trouble getting off to sleep now and sleep for a good 8-9 hours every night!!!

The side effects I suffered were drowsiness/drunkness feeling heavy feeling for the first few days but it does settle. I was sick from work as I couldn't of coped going in feeling as I did. So its best you cancel any plans you have etc just incase you feel the side effects.

You might be lucky and not suffer. Who knows!!!

Wishing you well anyhow and any support you need we will be here for you.

Take care.
JO.xx

Vixxy
11-06-10, 12:01
Hi Ive been on them for nearly 2 years and found it basically enhanced my sweet tooth. I wouldnt just want to eat 1 cake, I would want more. And this is so not like me! I did put on weight,but I was doing my degree and eating chocolates at my desk, so it might have been that too lol!
I reduced my dose last year and had started to lose weight, but then my anxiety kicked off again so Im now on 45mgs. Ive actually got a fear of being sick so I dont eat much now, so it kinda proves that you can control the increased appetite.

moomintroll
13-06-10, 02:57
I have been A/D med free for a couple of years and preferred to rely on CBT and Meditation due to numerous side-effects of the pharmaceutical meds.

My psychiatrist has urged me to try this med. I have researched it and see about 50% of users experience weight gain of 7% body mass or more.

I'd be interested to hear from other users about how I can be one of the 50% that does not pile on weight or any tips / warnings from those that experienced weight gain about carbohydrate / sugar cravings or whatever leads to the hazard of weight gain.

i am on a 15mg dose of this tablet at the moment

i asked my doctor about weight gain and the tablets, she said to me that its not the tablets that cause the weight gain its one the side effects that causes it by increasing your appetite in some cases, she said to me aslong as i stick to eating a balanced diet like i do, it should be fine and to watch if i am craving certain foods, which i have noticed i am doing but i am trying to be sensible about it

what i have noticed though is that i am not hungry during the day and hardly eat anything but when its night time or early hours in the morning all i want to do is eat :scared15:, so i have been eating at weird times which i know probably does not help my metabolism as i also do not sleep well either

BubbleBonce
13-06-10, 03:07
Hi Antipodes,

I was curious about the blood test you had for the histamines & neurotransmitters? Can you explain some more please?

Thanks

Bubble

BubbleBonce
14-06-10, 13:37
Not sure you saw this Antipodes...

Antipodes
15-06-10, 00:05
Thanks for inputs to all my peers. I am still gauging the weight gain issue and trust my intended self-discipline will protect me.

I have only now caught up with posts again. BubbleBonce - yes the Histamine connection is "new science". I live in New Zealand and have had to have my blood sample sent to Australia for this proprietary test which I have to pay for. I have a very modern switched-on psychiatrist and after 10 years of psychiatrists and psychologists (and a substantial cost) he is the only one that has ordered a full range of blood tests (have been tested earlier only for liver function prior to change of med) aswell as this proprietary Histamine one. The screening skin test (for high histamine) the psychiatrist did on me "blew me away" as even I could see the Histadelia (high Histamine) was a possibility. If the blood test confirms what he suspects there is cause for me to be hopeful. He gave me four pdf files on how histamine interferes with neurotransmitters. The source of three of the papers was Carl Pfeiffer in Australia but since I was alerted to this connection I have found several confirmation sources via Google. I am crossing my fingers the Mirtazapine will interfere with the (suspected) high Histamine production and will permit the hormones and neurotransmitters to swish around and do their job and let me start enjoying life. Ordinariily I would decline anti-depressant meds as the side effects have been worse than intended benefits. I have good reason to believe Mirtazapine might be the one that works (if any do for me).

The authority for NHS subsidised prescription came through yesterday and I have picked up my first months supply today (Tues). 15mg for 7 days thereafter 30mg. I have my fingers crossed and take my first tablet tonight (no more Zopiclone?). Feel free to pm me if you suspect high histamine or can't find good info on Google. I used a search string like Hisadelia+Mirtazapine and from there I did some supplimentary searches. I noticed some references were at NMP in the anxiety section.

I hope this helps.

Antipodes
15-06-10, 02:01
** had inadvertently replied twice as first reply did not appear **

BubbleBonce
17-06-10, 14:19
Hi Antipodes,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I'm having trouble finding where I posted. I only found a little info on google so will drop you a PM. It looks very interesting though.

How are you finding the Mirtazapine so far?

Bubble x

Desprate Dan
18-06-10, 09:10
My weight has become an issue for me and i am starting to worrie about it leading to other health problems, heart attack/stroke etc. I get so hungry and crave sugary snacks and think sod it, you know what i dont really care anymore and pig out afterwards i feel so ashamed and i am filled with regret but only untij my nxt hunger pain or sweet craving.

Antipodes
20-06-10, 01:09
Deperate Dan, I'm sorry you are experiencing these cravings. I am only on Day 5 and so far all is good. I had my first 30mg dose only last night though. In the meanwhile I have increased my physical activity and am being very vigilant about what and how much I eat. I am sleeping well and this is a blessing.

JT69
20-06-10, 10:35
Hi Dan,

The cravings do pass...I cannot remember exactly when but they do and your appetite will begin normal again. I just try to be careful and exercise as often as I can.

Try not to worry too much for now, once you feel mentally stronger than you can tackle the weight issues.

Take care
JO.xx

ElizabethJane
03-09-10, 21:20
Hi i'm responding to an old thread in attempt to get some insight into the problem of weight gain whilst on mirtazapine. I am currently taking 45mg and trying very hard to diet. I am a stone overweight or over my desired weight BMI is 25 so maximum for my height/weight ratio. I am eating really healthily and am taking very low point soup into work. I had porridge made with skimmed/semi skimmed milk for breakfast and a salmon salad a fresh peach and a fig from our tree in the garden. Just come in from choir practice and I'm HUNGRY. I'm going to get weighed tomorrow so the temptation to binge is being cancelled out by that. I have lost weight whilst on mirtazapine before and need some advice as I am on lithium as well and need to maintain a healthy diet. Do other people who are taking mirtazapine and or lithium have trouble losing weight and for it to stay off? I swim as well and did twenty minutes yesterday.Thanks in advance. EJ. Perhaps I had better add that I am female 49 years 5Ft 11ins in height and currently weigh 12st 11lbs. I should weigh 11st 12lbs. Thanks.

MadJam
04-09-10, 17:21
Hi EJ! I have the same problem. I was underweight when I started the mirtazapine, due to an adverse reaction on another antidepressant (lost 8 pounds in a week)! This is why the doctor put me on mirtazapine. I weighed myself the other day and have put nearly 2 stone on! I have never been this heavy and all of my clothes are tight and uncomfortable. I do try and eat as healthy as I can, but it's still piling on. I wonder why this is?

JT69
05-09-10, 10:53
Me too!!! Gained 2 stone on mirtazipine and pregabalin!!! And over-weight to start with...not good...I just dont seem to have the motivation to try and lose any at the moment either...not in the place I should be just yet....but have reduced to 15mg mirtazipine at present. Like you say you try to eat healthy and be careful and I certainly dont over eat at all if anything eat less than I used to and still its piled on!! Not fair!!:mad: Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
05-09-10, 15:50
Hi Jo hi Madjam. I'm sorry Jo that you are still not in the place that you want to be. I have tried to face my weight problem head on and have re-joined the classes that I went to previously. I can also access an e-community and chart what foods I have eaten online. Already getting headaches though so something not quite right. I'll let you know how I get on with it. EJ.

JT69
05-09-10, 16:01
Hi Ej, I get headaches too when I cut down on food....I do try to drink lots of water but since on these meds I just seem to find it hard to drink alot of water...very strange. I go away at the end of the month for a week and when I am back I am going to try to cut down the mirtazipine even further and come off them...dont know how I will be but can only try. Not giving up on the pregabalin yet though as I feel they really help me....but have gained weight on those too!! I wouldnt mind if I sat down all day but I never stop!!! My nature is to rush around but my metabalism must just be so slow??? I dont know. Good luck to you anyhow...you have more will power than I do! Lol.

Take care.
Jo.xx

ElizabethJane
05-09-10, 16:37
Dear Jo as we both know mental health is more important that a little bit of weight. If you need to be on the mirtazapine for while longer then so be it. I know I had trouble coming off them .You might need that extra support for a while longer. I seem to be sleeping less well now I'm trying to diet. Don't jeporadise how far you have come if you are not ready to come off the mirt yet. EJ.

octave28
06-03-11, 20:01
hi there, i am starthing back on mirt as escitalopram and citalopram tend to stop working for me. Do the cravings subside, as i had terrible cravings for doughnuts everyday, and could never stop at one!!!