PDA

View Full Version : Can I mix valerian and SSRIs?

pd
11-06-10, 11:51
I've just started taking sertraline, and I've relied on valerian for ages to get me to sleep, I forgot to ask my doctor if I could mix the two, and I don't want to start poking around on google.

pammy1944
11-06-10, 12:05
i dont think its a good idea to mix herbal and prescription stuff

annette1
12-06-10, 15:34
I'm not sure PD, but will be asking my Gp this very question on Tuesday. I'll let you know what she says. I'm hoping it will be to give it a try as she won't prescribe sleep meds but my psych wants me to try to get 8hrs sleep a night.

annette1
12-06-10, 15:35
pd
do you use Valerian to get you off to sleep or to stay asleep? I get off fine but awake for 2-3 hrs during night.

Jannie2948
12-06-10, 15:37
Hi pd
I've been on citalopram for 8 months and I take valerian and have had no problem. I did ask the pharmacist and they said it was ok and I've taken them for some time now.
Jannie

suzy-sue
13-06-10, 01:15
Try taking half the normal dose to start with ,as it can have a doubled effect with ssris .If it doesnt have the desired effect then try the normal dose .It s ok to take but can make some feel extra drowsy and slow the heart rate down more .So its better to try the smaller dose first ..Sue

annitsa
29-06-10, 12:39
You won't have problem! I am on cipralex for over a year now and my doctor told me that I can use valerian and my ssri whenever I feel I need it!

annette1
29-06-10, 18:23
confusing isn't it when we get so many different opinions!

I asked my GP about this & she said I should ask the surgery pharmacist as they would have more information. She also gave me a prescription for Amitriptyline 10mg.

The pharmacist advised me to take the Ami as it would be a more stable option, with very few side effects, so I'm on day 5 of them & sleeping quite well, I still wake up during the night but go straight back to sleep & wake around 6 feeling refreshed which means I get up feeling less grumpy & lethargic.

His thoughts on herbal meds were that they can vary brand to brand & many have side effects as prescribed meds. also that if I wanted to go down that route to take the advice of a herbalist.

I also spoke to my homoeopathic dr who advised taking the Ami to be sure of good quality sleep.

Hope that info helps
Annette