PDA

View Full Version : Dissociation - Please Help!

Dissolved girl
11-06-10, 14:32
Does any one know how i can learn to dissociate a bad experience from panic attacks?
I had a bad experience at the dentist and now even if i have a tooth ache my heart sinks and i end up panicking.
It's an absolute nightmare.
I was having little panic attacks before so something else obviously started them but my brain has decided to associate anything to do with my teeth to then cause a panic attack.

Does any one know how i can teach my brain it is not my teeth that is causing panic attacks? I can deal with the panic attacks alone but this association is turning into a phobia and on bad days i think ridiculous things. Sometimes i am too scared to eat or want to pull my teeth out.

Please help!!!!!

keta
11-06-10, 14:39
Hi

The best technique is CBT which can be done through your GP tho you might be on a waiting list for a while it teaches you about the basic cycle of how panic attacks works and they will try to teach you how to break the cycle by relaxation and learning to break your thoughts. I had it about 3 years ago and it can help tho i'm unable to put it into practise right now as hit my axiety low so i'm on medication. But it's worth a go :)