PDA

View Full Version : Positive report on citalopram

rachelb
12-06-10, 10:15
Hi all,
I've read some horror stories about citalopram so wanted to give my experience to give people some hope!

I too was prescribed 20mg for depression and anxiety and after 3 days ended up in hospital with the side effects they were sooo bad, I had pretty much every one on the list. So I stopped, and 2 days later had recovered enough and returned to my GP. We decided to try again but this time with 5mg (10mg cut in half). So I started on 5mg with the only side effect of mild nausea. After 1 week and the nausea gone (taking them in the morning with my breakfast helped), I increased to 10mg, with no more side effects. 2 weeks after that I increased to 15mg. I started to feel confused after a few days so reduced back to 10mg for another week. After the confusion settled I returned to 15mg and that is where I have stayed.

From the mental point of view, I can say WOW. I used to hate waking up, in fact hate going to sleep knowing I had to wake up, I still get the thoughts in the morning, but then they go and I also think about what I can achieve this day. I haven't cried for a month! I still get stressed but it doesn't pull me down in an endless cycle, I am able to start thinking about how to deal with the stress. I haven't had any bad nightmares for a month either (which for me is wonderful). Basically all the negative thoughts I am able to reason with and tell to go away and they do (mostly)!

So in summary, my recommendation is start small and increase only when you feel your body has adjusted, and then oh boy, is it worth it!

All the best
Rachel

Raindog
12-06-10, 10:45
Hi Rachel,
Welcome to NMP and it's good to hear that you made it though the tough part of taking Cit, my first week was quite unpleasant with the increased anxiety but it felt worth it when the meds kicked in.

Like you, going to sleep became something that meant I'd be waking up with the anxiety and those thoughts of 'oh not another day to get through' but now I'm out of that it's nice to wake up and roll over for an hour more, which was a real luxurious feeling that first week being able to snooze and not wake up feeling so negative.

As you said, it's nice to see some positive stories when there are so many negative ones on the forum with people getting scared about the side effects and the like.

Thanks for dropping by Rachel, good to hear from someone else who can offer a bit of hope to people going through this.

Shaun

JT69
12-06-10, 10:48
Hi Rachel,

What a lovely positive post!!! I totally agree having taken citalopram myself in the past that less is more....and its best to start on a low dose and work yourself up. Just goes to show that the drug is excellent once it gets into your system...but needs to happen slowly.

Thanks for sharing this.

Hope you continue to be well!!!

Take care.
Jo.xx

rachelb
13-06-10, 09:34
Hi,

Thanks for your welcome and positive and encouraging responses.

When I took my first few 20mg and had the awful side effects, I found this forum and felt oh no, I don't want to take this drug anymore, so many people are having problems with it. But I was persuaded to start again on 5mg and I'm really pleased I did. So I wanted to respond to tell people how it worked for me and how it could work for them if they start with a lower dose.

I continue to be impressed with this drug and the difference it is making for me - encourage others to keep going and remember to start on a lower dose and increase only when your body is ready.

All the best everyone
Rachel

steveo1980
13-06-10, 10:39
An excellent positive post. The ones I like reading. Well done you!
I'm currently on 10mg for the last 3 months and can have good or bad days. Just deciding whether to up the dose or try and stop altogether.

posts like this are good to read for us all as so many are negative and we can all assume that we will also feel negative because that's what anxiety does.

Raindog
13-06-10, 10:39
Hi Rachel,
I was very much the same, I consulted good old Dr Google™ and found a number of sites, including the NMP thread on Citralopram Side Effects, and had the same negative thoughts. After reading other posts, like the Survival Guide, I realised that people often only post the negative while they are going through it, looking for reassurance and help. You often only see one side of the story as there aren't as many positive stories from people who have gotten through the worst as they tend to leave sites like this behind once they start feeling better.

I'm feeling much improved and still hang around on here to see if I can offer some advice and help to those having problems, plus I don't expect to feel 100% all of the time, I may have blips and it's nice to know that I'm making a few friends on here that might be there when I'm having an off day.

Better days people
Shaun

lizzie29
13-06-10, 10:50
Hi

I'm currently on citalopram, 20mg a day, and think it's brilliant! The first couple of weeks I did have a couple of mild side-effects - slightly increased anxiety, sweats in the night, loss of appetite - but all these were bearable and didn't last long. It has definitely done me the world of good. I've obviously got a way to go still, but in a month I've gone from struggling to travel an hour away on my own to doing that 3 or 4 times a week, and staying away a couple of nights a week.
I appreciate there are people for whom it hasn't had such a good effect, but if people are worrying about trying it I'd def give it a go, but as you said, take it slowly. I started on 10mg and didn't feel much difference after a month so then increased. Possibly that's why my side-effects were low, because it was already in my system.
Good luck to everyone on it or about to try it!

JT69
13-06-10, 14:13
Hi Ikenny,

Its definately best to start on a low dose and increase when ready with citalopram...you have proved this and its nice to read an encouraging post. Alot of us post negative things cos we are searching for help and advice and feel terriable but reading posts like that encourages others that there really is light at the end of the tunnell.

I am glad you are feeling well...long may it continue for you.

Take care.
Jo.xx

Dragonsblonde
22-07-10, 14:34
Know I am a month late in posting here, but just wanted to say how nice it is to read these positive notes.

On day 9 of 10mg and the anxiety has lessened (usualy now bubbling away underneath) and some side effects (so exhausted today).

Been having some "oh when will it kick in and let me rest" thoughts today, but seeing some positive feedback is great and makes some difference in the keep fighting on spirit

Thank you

Jo
xx