PDA

View Full Version : Letter From My Therapist, PLEASE READ :)

crazyhayz
12-06-10, 11:35
Hi everyone, just a little follow-up from me really!! This morning I received a copy of the letter that has been sent to my GP following my discharge from the NHS Mental Health Team that have been giving me my CBT treatment over the last 6 months. Reading this letter has really hit home to me how much this stupid anxiety has wasted the last 6 months of my life, and also i feel quite embarassed with myself reading this letter, but its also the best thing ive ever read and im so thankful to my therapists as they have been amazing.. But anyway, I really wanted to share it with EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU, as i think it will help some you ALOT... xxx

So here goes..... :) xx

Dear Dr Kelly,

You will be aware that the above pleasant 22 year old young mother has been experiencing marked anxiety disorder since January of this year.

Her numerous episodes of panic were followed by physical symptoms such as: pounding heartbeat/ectopic heartbeats, hyperventilation, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision, tremors, chest pains and general body pains. She worried that these episodes were symptomatic of a sinister health problem and in consequence visited A&E on multiple occasions aswell as calling out ambulances. She has had a number of investigations such as blood tests, CT brain scan, X-Rays, Eye Casualty examinations, Audiograms and numerous ECG's. None of which found anything wrong.

Following your referral, Hayley attended our Anxiety Management Workshop and our monthly Anxiety Clinic. She has also completed one-to-one Cognitive Therapy appointments.

I am so very pleased to report that Hayley has recognised the links between anxiety and the physical symptoms she was experiencing and how her cognitions with regard to these events was a maintaining factor. She has been extremely proactive in her own treatment and has shown she has used taught anxiety management techniques to good effect.

At her last appointment on the 8th June 2010, she presented as hugely improved. Hayley is no longer experiencing panic attacks or has a tendency to catastrophise events and symptoms. She has set herself realisitic goals for her future with her baby son, and is clearly working towards achieving them by starting college this September, with the prospect of then attending University to study a Social Work degree.

It was mutually agreed that she would now be discharged from OT (Occupational Therapy). However, she is aware that she will remain open to the team for a further 6 months and can make direct contact with myself or a Duty Manager, in the unlikely event that she has a relapse. We are so very pleased with her.

I trust this is sufficient, but please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

Yours sincerely,

Advanced Mental Health Practioner (OT)
NHS Adult Mental Health

:yesyes: xxx You ALL can beat this if I can!! Good luck to everyone xx

JaneC
12-06-10, 11:44
Well done Hayz, you should be so proud of yourself :yesyes: Stay well. x

Typer
12-06-10, 12:16
How wonderful, well done for seeing the therapy through.

Are all your physical symptoms gone now? This gives a lot of hope to many people here, thank you so much for sharing.

I hope I can clear off these stupid ectopics - I know they are stress related. What an inspiring post from you, thank you

Veronica H
12-06-10, 13:35
:yesyes:Thanks for sharing this with us. This is an uplifting post. Wishing you and your son a bright future.:bighug1::flowers:

Veronicax

crazyhayz
12-06-10, 13:36
Thats ok no problem and thankyou for the replies. I rarely get any physical symptoms now, if i start thinking about my anxiety etc I used to get symptoms but now ive learnt how to stop it getting to that level. Its all about firstly accepting it is just anxiety, noithing more! It cannot harm u in any way! Then secondly its about controlling your thoughts. Because its your thoughts and inner self that cause all of these symptoms. If i feel a bit lightheaded (which is the only symptom i still do get) then i dont think 'oh my god its this or that' or to be honest i dont even think about it, i mean, its just a bit of dizziness!! Its most probably my medication im on but i never used to think that. And i do have alot of stress in my life being a lone parent with hardly any money, so that can cause physical symptoms, any amount of stress can cause symptoms. It is true that some people are more susceptible to getting symptoms, and anxiety and nervous breakdowns run in my family, so im not suprised that I have had it too after a particularly stressful period in my life. Its also how good you are at over-riding your thoughts, and thinking positive. Its no good to keep thinking ur not guna get better and not put any effort into getting better (cbt, meds, talking through it with counselling, trying different techniques, reading books, ive done it all). The more everyone does to help themself, the quicker they will get better. I believe in all of you. I was literally bed ridden, having 8 to 10 panic attacks a day, and all through the night, i couldnt eat sleep talk...nothing. I completely broke down. And now im high as a kite. That is proof that with a bit of hard work and the right therapy, meds and positive outlook, u can all get better. Take care x

margaret jones
12-06-10, 16:40
Well done to you a big pat on the back for you Hayley , you are a inspiration to all who suffer from these horrid things :Dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Take Care Maggiexxxxxxxxxxxxx

jothenurse
12-06-10, 18:11
Very well done. I know my counselor tells me that I catastrophise things. How did you work through that? We don't have any CBT training in my town, though my counselor has gone through some of this with me. I also read books.

Typer
12-06-10, 19:20
jothenurse, there are a couple of on line CBT sites, which you could use and go through things from it with your counsellor if she is willing

daybyday
12-06-10, 19:42
As I read the letter, I cried with joy for you. And for your care for us to show us we can be better by staying on the pathway.
Be blessed crazyhayz as you have been a blessing.

crazyhayz
12-06-10, 20:33
I worked through it by just trying so hard to totally ACCEPT i was exaggerating and there wasnt anything sinister wrong with me!! Its hard, but u will get there!! Its just being rational really, i mean, just because uve got tingling in ur hand, doesnt mean uve got MS, or chest pains doesnt mean uve got a heart defect, or a particularly bad headache with tingling face doesnt mean uve got a brain tumour. Its all about thinking rationally and also getting into ur head that SO WHAT IF IVE GOT THIS OR THAT, MAYBE I HAVE, MAYBE I HAVENT, BUT WHAT IS THE POINT ON WASTING MY LIFE AWAY DAY BY DAY WORRYING WHETHER I HAVE OR HAVENT, AND WORRYING ABOUT THINGS THAT HAVENT EVEN HAPPENED AND ARE SOOOOOO UNLIKELY TO EVEN HAPPEN ANYWAY!! At the end of the day, we are all guna have something wrong with us one day, we cant stop it, if its guna happen its guna happen. Youve all got a LIFE TO LIVE. Why waste it?!!!!

YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE. i dont wanna get old knowing ive not fulfilled my life or lived it as i wanted to. I wanna be happy and living a life as best as i can, for not only myself but my SON.

This is what i kept telling myself and over time, u will start to feel better. With regards to people who have anxiety about going out of the house, or being around people, then the only thing i can say to help you, is...what harm is it going to do? Will it make your life better and happier? Can u beat this? tell yourself u CAN!! :) xxx

Thanks for all the messages, i feel on top of the world i really do.

Take care and again, good luck to each and everyone of u xxxxxx

Temenos
12-06-10, 20:57
CrazyHayz how brave and thoughtful are you to have shared this personal letter with us. It has really helped me in terms of how much I can relate to the pain that you have experienced and you now sound so positive, you've left me thinking could I get there too????? Thanks x

stressbunny
12-06-10, 21:45
fab hayley congrats to you!!!

Interestingly, I too finished CBT this week. I am really well too, and most symptoms gone. I still have the odd twitch or tingle, but realise that we all get these, and I always have got them but just not noticed them!!

I found CBT a massive help and it distresses me that there are people here it would help, but, for whatever reason, they dont have access to it...

The key to it for me was alternative thinking. I just never considered that the twitching was anything other that a neuro problem...probably with thanks to Dr Google! Now I can see that the only way forward is to consider alternatives... and to be honest, the alternatives are much more likely...
eg
headache = brain tumour...no more likely to be...a headache!!! Check out all the pain relief for headaches..they must be pretty common

Well done Hayz, I am pleased for you and I am bloody pleased for me...!!! And everyone else, you will get there...xxxxxxxx

crazyhayz
12-06-10, 22:21
Thats amazing stressbunny :) Huge congrats to you that ur on the road to recovery :) xxx You are 100% spot on with the alternative thinking, i was taught changing negative thoughts into positive one, and more realisitic ones!! Its helped so much :) Good luck to u, and again, to everyone on this site xxxxx

Ronny
12-06-10, 23:47
Well done Hayley,:bighug1:Very proud of you,and all the best to you and your lovely son
Rhonda xx:flowers:

BubbleBonce
13-06-10, 01:21
Really pleased for you. Nothing seems to work for me, nor meds and am just waiting seeing the mental health team, so will have to see....

crazyhayz
15-06-10, 12:05
Just bumping this thread for any new members looking through front page x x

Andy699
06-04-15, 16:12
Ahh, that's fab! Congrats :-)