PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do?

MidnightCalm
12-06-10, 14:13
When you feel your anxiety rising, when you know you're going to have a panic attack or you know you're going to have some major anxiety symptoms?

I grab my shoes straight away and go straight to these fields near my house and go walking around for 30 mins, it really really does help. I have to go alone otherwise it doesn't help.
I used to go to bed but now I do that instead, what do you do?
What helps you?
:D:D:D:D

Hope you're all well!
:yesyes:

jothenurse
12-06-10, 17:56
I try to distract myself - I may do a crossword puzzle and do some things on my laptop. If I am having a real fast pulse, I sometimes will take a drive in the car, because I find that I have to concentrate on my driving and then my pulse rate usually comes down.

Anxious_gal
12-06-10, 18:15
I breath, I slow down or just stop, and try to use the logical part of my brain!
it can help if I'm walking alone, if kinda agoraphobic. so instead of walking extra fast and getting worked up I do the opposite :)

MidnightCalm
13-06-10, 18:20
I've found that if I walk alot and tire myself out I'm usually too tired to get anxious.:shades:

Bluebelle
13-06-10, 23:03
I do the activity thing as well-either take my tiny little 5 lbs dog for a walk , do dishes, fold clothes, brush my cat anything that involves moving.

If I am in a situation that doesn't allow me to do these things I trya nd play the "What if..." game in my head. Oddly enough this is a magical cure for anxiety for me- I just work it through in my head.

What if ....I slip and fall. Then I'll just get back up
What if.....I'm hurt and I can't. Then someone will help me

I just keep going until all the what ifs are answered and I calm down. I would never have believed this would work for me but it does.

discoshoes
14-06-10, 10:45
I don't think I have any coping techniques. :(

Baggie
14-06-10, 11:36
I was walking into town this morning & began to feel really uncomfortable, hot and anxious, so I tried counting backwards in 5's from 500. I made myself concentrate on doing this and it did help take the edge of how I was feeling (I also promised myself a small treat if I could get into town and back, which I did) I think the trick is to try and keep your brain busy doing anything other than thinking about how you're feeling, to avoid panic rising. I appreciate that this isn't easy though, but I keep chipping away at it lol!

When I'm at home if I feel a bit down, I usually try baking. That way I can put my feet up with a cuppie and something nice to eat when I've finished.:D