PDA

View Full Version : When do i need a doctor

davey
13-06-10, 14:17
Hi all and thanks in advance for reading.

I am new to this site and I have only just admitted im suffering, but a big question im wandering is how do you know when you need to see a doctor?

Basically I have scary pains at least 3 times a week in my chest,neck,arms etc, I have been checked by my gp and hospital and told it is anxiety but when dealing with anxiety and panic at what point do you say ok this pains too bad now I need help? How long do I ignore chest pains for? What if I ignore my pains for too long resulting in making myself worse.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Baggie
13-06-10, 14:55
Hi davey

Welcome to NMP. :welcome:I hope you will find it as supportive as I have.

Although I do experience panic and anxiety, I've never had any pains like those you have described (although I did have palpitations). You say that you've been checked out by both your GP and at hospital. Did you have an ECG? Perhaps you should go back to a GP again and ask to have a 24 hours ECG done (I had one a couple of years back and thankfully it showed everything was fine). I know you've been told that it's anxiety that's causing these things but you probably need to be reassured to put your mind at rest. I don't know if the GP whom you saw originally was helpful and supportive as it doesn't sound like you've been given a lot of information. If you didn't find them to be, maybe you could try another GP. Chest pain isn't something that should be ignored and I hope that your GP will help you through this. Hope you get on ok. Take care. :)

davey
13-06-10, 16:07
Thankyou for your advice, I have had all those tests a while back and thankfully like yourself I got the all clear but I still panic and get really even when I just have a twinge. I am due to see my gp tomorrow morning to discuss with him where I can go from here with my anxiety as I have been denying it up until today.

oneofus
13-06-10, 16:16
Chest pains are a common anxiety symptom. There's good advice elsewhere on the site http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack/ including this "Do not go to your doctor and demand all these tests, however, be advised by what he suggests and accept that he will give you all the test he deems necessary".

If you get into a cycle of panic -> doctor then you will start to reinforce the cycle and become dependent upon it, and even if the doctor says you're fine you'll not believe him because what you are wanting is to be told that you are ill - which you are not. Break the cycle by any way you can. The panicattack link has many good ideas.