PDA

View Full Version : help, i'm in a sick house

marie257
11-02-06, 10:53
hi, most of you probably know that i have ematophobia(fear of vomit and vomiting). well my 8 yr old daughter has been vomiting all morning. i dont want to catch this bug and i'm terrified. my hubby keeps having a go at me as i'm panicking. what can i do? please help me. love marie.
p.s i cant stop washing door handles, light switches, and my hands for fear of catching this bug. i'm lost and no one to talk to as no one understands.

feege
11-02-06, 11:10
Hi Marie

It must be really scary for you but just remember kids get these things all the time and you almost certainly won't catch it. Does your husband really not understand? Ideally try and find something to distract yourself from it with, phone people and chat or whatever - it's like any other fear, distraction would help if you could get it...

I'm sure your daughter will soon be better and the whole thing forgotten!

Good luck!

fee
xx

marie257
11-02-06, 11:57
thanks for the reply. no my husband doesnt understand. he thinks its stupid to worry about it. i thought he would understand by now as ive had this for 8 yrs. she hasnt been sick for a while so i'm hoping its not the bug. she said she had a really bad tummyache before she was sick but she says she feels alright now. i'm hoping it was something she ate instead. love marie

nomorepanic
11-02-06, 12:55
Marie

I was just wondering if you have thought about getting some help to overcome the fear? CBT can really help. Did you read the other posts on here about it? I can post links if it would help.

Nicola

marie257
11-02-06, 13:01
i really want some help but the cbt posts ive read where you have to watch people being sick i know i couldnt do it. i watch my kids throwing up all the time but i still have the phobia

nomorepanic
11-02-06, 13:23
Marie

That does sound like torture therapy to me too! I hate seeing people being sick and I don't have a phobia of it so I can understand that.

I think other parts of the CBT that Mark did really helped him though so some of it must work.

Nicola

marie257
11-02-06, 13:54
how do i go about getting cbt therapy?

nomorepanic
11-02-06, 14:56
You usually need to be referred by your doctor to get it on the NHS but you can contact therapists directly and pay for it privately.

Nicola

marie257
12-02-06, 10:49
update: my daughter didnt have the bug. she was just sick twice and then was fine. she used to do that all the time when she was younger. she started eating yesterday about 5 hrs after she was sick and was ok. she has had some pop this morning and keeps saying shes hungry. so thanx for the support and replies during my panic attack. love marie