PDA

View Full Version : Got the dentist in an hour worried about adrenaline

Robbs
14-06-10, 13:08
i've got the dentist in a hour and i cacking myself about it, im not bothered about dentists or pain etc its just the injection with ADRENALINE thats bothering me, i've had this reoccuring absess for 7 months now but this time it really hurts and i've had enough so i've got to get the tooth pulled cos i cant carry on like this, the thing is the dentist point blank refuses to give me the injection without the adrenaline in it !!!!! he said he would for a filling but not for an extraction, now i've not had a dentist injection since i was about 12 and this was way before i had any anxiety, i was fine then but this time im worried its gonna make me have a massive panic attack !!!! can anyone who's had this injection tell me how long the adrenaline stays in your body for and is the panic it can bring on any worse than a usual panic attack, i've just got it in my head its gonna be really bad

:ohmy::weep:

Robbs
14-06-10, 13:20
sorry just bumping to top as i need some reasurance quickly :weep:

margaret jones
14-06-10, 13:26
Hi Robbs there was a post about the adrenaline in injections at dentist last week i think they said that it was short time it stays in system ???? sorry cant find it look in posts maybe ???

Take care Maggie

Robbs
14-06-10, 13:58
well i was all ready to go and just grin and bear it, was just about to leave and i've left my car keys in my mrs's car :mad:, now i cant go so im gonna have to try to get one for tomorrow and put up with the pain till then GRRRRRRR.

phattgal
14-06-10, 14:29
Hi last week I had an injection for a filling with adrenaline in it I only felt the rush while I was about to have it done then while he was actually doing it I was fine. The numbness on the other hand was there for a good few hours, the numbness lasts longer you see if you have the one with and for an extraction that's probably best as it will be a tad sore (had one myself last year) just get yourself some veganin painkillers from over the counter at the chemists. But honestly adrenaline doesn't last long, well it didn't for me it was just like a natural adrenaline rush.
Hope it goes well
Jo x

Robbs
14-06-10, 14:35
cheers, yeah im not worried about the numbness or pain, my only concern is with the adrenaline and the fact it may make me have a panic attack but if it doesn't last to long and is not that severe then thats all cool.

nomorepanic
14-06-10, 18:10
Last time I had a filling I asked to have it with the non-adrenaline injection and it wasn't so bad.

I hate the numbness afterwards though - it freaks me out.

pollyanna
14-06-10, 20:00
I always have the non adrenaline injection,( called citanest), i have had it for fillings and extractions., i have had it for many years now, and it suits me much better, and my dentist doesnt have a problem giving it to me.

Robbs
15-06-10, 14:56
i got some anti biotics from the doctor yesterday so thats helped with the pain, its just swollen up at the mo, today i found a nice private dentist who said its no trouble to extract the tooth using the injection without adrenaline so im booked in for next week, gonna cost me £160 though !!! the things we do to avoid panic eh lol.

spikey0377
15-06-10, 19:28
Hi,

Would you be so kind as to let us know how you get on at the dentist have the same thing coming up and it would be nice to know how it goes for you.

Good luck

CJ

daybyday
15-06-10, 19:36
I didn't know dental numbing has adrenaline in it. Why would it. I had better ask about that next time work needs done. I have never felt a rush from a novacaine shot before, so maybe my dentist doesn't use it.

Keep us posted about your appt.

Robbs
15-06-10, 20:45
apparantly the adrenaline makes the shot last longer and also it constricts the blood vessels so you dont bleed as much, the dentist today told me that as long as the injection doesn't go into a vein then the adrenaline wont even effect me and he's pretty certain he can make sure it doesn't, i said i'd still rather avoid it and he said fine but warned me i will bleed more.

ro44
15-06-10, 21:04
I never have the shot with the adrenaline anymore. They can numb you just fine without it. Just tell them you don't want it. I also take a xanax or valium one hour before a procedure like a filling or something. My dentist will prescribe me a few if I ask her. (if you do take the valium, you might need someone to drive you to and from the appointment)

Robbs
15-06-10, 21:18
i dont take any meds at all only pain killers or whatever for pysical illnesses, i took a betablocker once, it slowed my heart rate right down which was nice but i still carried on hyperventalating which freaked me out, it didn't feel right overbreathing without my heart thumping as the pounding heart sort of gives a reason to the overbreathing.

fretty freda
15-06-10, 23:21
cant believe your gunna pay that for your tooth out rob there is no reason whatsoever your dentist cannot use adrenaline free anashetic can you please private message me his name i am going to report him to the general dental council that is quite simply wrong as he has a duty of care wrong wrong wrong !! hope ur ok

Robbs
16-06-10, 09:14
the dentist who refuses to give me the adrenaline free injection is one at the local nhs emergency access centre, i dont have a regular dentist, but i'll deffo be trying to find a decent nhs one now.

yeah its a bit of a bummer cos at the access centre it'll only cost me £16 to have the tooth out but privately i got pay 10 times that !!!!!

fretty freda
16-06-10, 12:29
whats his name i know for a fact he is simply doing wrong

Annabelle
16-06-10, 12:50
hi rob

I had one tooth extraction with the adrenalin shot and one without. The one with the shot gave me a rush for about 30 secs - 1 min. As i knew it was coming it wasnt so bad because i was prepared for the rush and knew that nothing bad was happening it was just the shot, after about a minute the feeling went and it wasd fine. The dentist had to tug so hard to get my tooth out that i was glad i put up with it!
The second time i had a tooth taken out i took diazepam ( i didnt the first time) and had the non adrenalin shot and ended up passing out - which freaked me out much much more than the adrenalin rush!!
it really isnt that bad and as you know its coming you can let it wash over you for 30 secs rather than thinking 'oh my god what was that?!'. I have to say the bleeding and pain was much less with the adrenalin one than without so if you can bear it for 1 min i would go with it!!
good luck - oh and take your ipod - great distraction!
anna xxx

Robbs
16-06-10, 15:29
whats his name i know for a fact he is simply doing wrong

i dont know his name, i can find out though i spose if i make a call

Robbs
16-06-10, 15:33
hi rob

I had one tooth extraction with the adrenalin shot and one without. The one with the shot gave me a rush for about 30 secs - 1 min. As i knew it was coming it wasnt so bad because i was prepared for the rush and knew that nothing bad was happening it was just the shot, after about a minute the feeling went and it wasd fine. The dentist had to tug so hard to get my tooth out that i was glad i put up with it!
The second time i had a tooth taken out i took diazepam ( i didnt the first time) and had the non adrenalin shot and ended up passing out - which the feeling went and it wasd fine. The dentist had to tug so hard to get my tooth out that i was glad i put up with it! freaked me out much much more than the adrenalin rush!!
it really isnt that bad and as you know its coming you can let it wash over you for 30 secs rather than thinking 'oh my god what was that?!'. I have to say the bleeding and pain was much less with the adrenalin one than without so if you can bear it for 1 min i would go with it!!
good luck - oh and take your ipod - great distraction!
anna xxx

oh thanks thats very helpfull :doh: now im concerned about the non adrenaline shot.

nah the dentist has assured me that it wont be anymore painfull i'll just bleed more.

fretty freda
19-06-10, 14:50
nah rob dont go out your way its k i was just thinking how i know hes doing wrong by his patients i could report him but as long as your ok

Robbs
24-06-10, 14:04
well i've just had the tooth out and it was fine bit of anxiety but the dentist was brilliant really put me at ease, the actual expiriance was totally pain free, i feel more anxious now about my numb face than i did when he was pulling the tooth, haha its freaky i really dont like it, hope it doesn't last too long lol

and i've been told not to smoke for the rest of the day, dont think i'll manage that :shrug::D