PDA

View Full Version : what happens if you ignore health anxiety??!

randomworry
14-06-10, 17:59
has anyone ever just ignored there fears and not gone doctor about it or refused to worry about it here?

what was the outcome.........im just curious as that is what i am attempting to do?

Neen
14-06-10, 21:26
I'm trying to! I'm trying not to go to A&E! Still in two minds? I hate feeling like this. My throat, pain in my neck, lump/debris in my throat is ruining my life! As I say... I'm trying not to rush up the hospital. But I bet if you did ignore them, they would end up niggling at your subconcious! Or it could go the other way? And you could be on the road to recovery? I wish you well... Keep us posted. God bless

Neen x

stressbunny
14-06-10, 22:03
Hi random,

I have recently finished CBT and am quite well at the moment. Regarding ignoring HA, the advice from my therapist was the opposite of this. She said that the key to getting better was not ignoring fears or sensations, cos you can't, but more acknowledging them. So for me, I was trying to ignore burning ears and tingling face, but when I started to think yes my face is tingling but it is anx was when it started to get better...hope that makes sense

daybyday
14-06-10, 22:28
I have read other views about not ignoring fears because that just keeps us thinking...."I won't think about______" So really we are keeping the cyle of thinking about_____going on and on. That now makes sense to me.
Maybe that is what my husband does. Symptom of anything, and he acknowledges it is there, not denial of it. And chooses to go on with whatever he has to do. And it goes away, while I am sitting there keeping his symptoms going over and over in my brain long after he is better.

crazyhayz
14-06-10, 22:39
100% spot on stressbunny x

randomworry
14-06-10, 23:03
i guess it depends on what you are scared of though because i am scared of 'lumps' on my neck so i cant really say it the anxiety! although i could tell myself its because i am so self focused i notice these things! i dunno im just fed up really!

daybyday
14-06-10, 23:13
It does depend on the reason of fear. And we all have our many areas and reasons those specific ones worry us.
And I know randomworry, I am darn fed up with it too.

Zee
15-06-10, 08:32
Ive tried ignoring it and also accepting it and nothing has worked so far:shrug:.
Ive read books, relaxation tapes, tried distraction with hobbies etc. Positive thinking. Ive tried so much and it doesnt want to let go. I think it may be because ive had 3 or 4 days at a time when out of the blue i have felt that I was coming out of it only to find it came back and had to start all over again, each time feeling more despondent.
I beat HA 10 years ago, though it took 7 months..no medication.. I just thought after a break of 10 years inbetween that I had got a hold of it.Now I am working on why? after 10 years has it returned?.. there must have been a trigger back then as there has been a few months ago.

heather xx
15-06-10, 09:49
For me it got worse when i got the internet back nearly 2 years ago when i discovered google. It made me alot worse i always had a niggly thought if somthing was wrong but it is google that is making me worse. ive not googled my syptoms since joining this site and everyday its making my life that little bit easier. I still have the worry and the anxitey but im staying away from google when it comes to HA it handy when you want to find somthing out and how to get somewhere.

MightyPC
15-06-10, 09:58
I have never really worried about my health, but the appalling way I have been treated by a dr (NHS) & surgeon (private) has caused my HA since January.

Zee
15-06-10, 11:02
I have never really worried about my health, but the appalling way I have been treated by a dr (NHS) & surgeon (private) has caused my HA since January.

Ten years ago it was doctors who started off my HA and then after a break of 10 years no problems inbetween, they started it off again a few months ago:ohmy:

MightyPC
15-06-10, 11:27
Not only has it caused HA but it has had a knock on effect with certain friends, it affected my relationship to a point that we nearly split, the Dr signed me off for 2 weeks, which I didnt want, and that has had a detrimental effect on my career, as I am in middle management and for sure will not get any further promotions now. The Dr put me on citalopram which I have now been told by medical profesionals that I should never had been on, as a result of this I have gain 5kgs and my blood pressure has shot through the roof. And we are told trust your Dr.