PDA

View Full Version : scaley head with mitazapine

jv
15-06-10, 20:02
Hi..can anyone help me pls!!!
My brother has been on citalopram or yrs and has now changed to mirtazapine 30mg. He's been on them now for 4 wks but has developed a very thick scaley scalp and excema like patches on his torso.
He is finding this very distressing but cant seem to find out any info from his gp/mental health unit as to how long this might last or if it is just for a short while.
Could any one offer me any insight to this as he doesnt see his psychiatrist for another 2 wks and i really want to try and help him

thanks in anticipation!!!

jaded jean
15-06-10, 20:26
Hi. I have just had a quick look on skin conditions associated with the Mirtazapine and it says that Mirt actually reduces the itching in some skin problems So it may not be responsible. Try your pharmacist, they are always happy to oblige with anything like this . tell them that he has changed from citalopram to mirtazapine as well . it could be the changeover.
Good luck.

jv
15-06-10, 20:32
Thanks Jean..
we'v tried the pharmacist for advice and all we got told was that it was a side effect and to wait until the next pyschiatrist appt!!!
Just seems strange that hes had no skin probs until he started taking the mirt few wks ago..im just wondering if hes had a reaction to tabs cos his scalp is in a real mess and if he dont get some advice soon hes on about stopping taking tabs!!!

jaded jean
15-06-10, 20:57
Could he use some coal tar shampoo. I cannot think of the name- my memory is still rubbish , vosene even. It might help Tell your brother to be diligent with his meds. this is just a transitory moment it will stop.
Good Luck