PDA

View Full Version : Family history of breast cancer question?

MOMINPANIC
16-06-10, 04:40
I have posted on here a few times, but it's been awhile as I have felt generally pretty well. My biggest fear has always been that of getting breast cancer. I am 36 years old with large, fibrocystic breasts. I have never had a mammogram and was told by my doctor that I didn't need to worry about it until I was 40; however, I have friends who are getting told that they need a baseline at 35 and then start getting their regular yearly mammograms starting at 40.

I have no family history of breast cancer on my mother's side of the family; however, both my mom and grandmother have history of breast cysts. My paternal grandmother, however, has had bilateral breast cancer, I think 15-20 years between each one. She is alive and well now. If I remember correctly, her sister died of breast cancer as well. I have no paternal aunts, but I am worried that maybe she carries some sort of breast cancer gene and what are the changes of it being carried down to me being she's my paternal grandmother and all? I have had doctors tell me in the past that I will most likely take after my mother's side when it comes to this, but I can't help but worry about it.

I am tempted to call and make an appointment with a different doctor and see about possibly getting a mammogram, but it absolutely scares me to death to get one!! I have a nice family vacation planned in October and what goes through my head is that I can't get a mammogram now because when it comes back that I have breast cancer, I'll have to cancel my plans. I know this sounds crazy, but that's what I'm thinking.

Anyone have any knowledge about familial breast cancer risk? I also worry about colon cancer because my mom and both of her brothers have a history of colon polyps, not cancer, just polyps. :huh:

zippy
16-06-10, 08:57
Tell the doctor your concerns about it. My auntie died from breast cancer and the doctor examined me a few months ago i am 41 and she sent me to the breast clinic and i had a mammogram and it was clear.
If you explain they will send you and put your mind at ease and it will be over and you can enjoy your holiday.

blueangel
16-06-10, 09:53
Hi there

The systems here in the UK might be different to the US, but over here it's possible to be tested for two genes that give a predisposition to breast cancer. They are called BRCA1 and BRCA2 if I remember rightly.

However, I think the figures over here state that only about 15% of cases have a genetic link, and at the moment they still don't have clear causes for a lot of the cases that occur every year.

Hope this is helpful.

BKF1515
18-06-10, 21:10
I thought it was something like 27% of cases have a genetic link. But they take you quite seriously here if you have a family history - first line is mother, grandmother and sister and second line is aunt. I am 38 and have had three mammograms already without more than a second line family history. You can look it up however--what your chances are. Good luck. :)

crazyhayz
19-06-10, 12:25
This is an interesting thread, just out of curiosity, is there a heightened chance of breast cancer if it runs in ur fathers side?? My nan (fathers mum) had breast cancer 5 years ago, and recovered. Shes been fine since & is in her 70s. I dont fear cancer, it was more a question of knowledge really, as i always thought it was ONLY the mothers side that doctors worry about???