PDA

View Full Version : Finally admitted to my GP I'm feeling a bit low

Baggie
16-06-10, 12:39
Today I went to the doctor to get the results of my abdo scan & bloods carried out recently as I've been having IBS symptoms. She told me all the tests that they ran were clear, which was good news. Then she asked me "how are you?" and I knew it was time to admit that I've been feeling a bit low. It was a relief to be honest, just to be able to tell someone. I haven't even been able to tell my husband how I've been feeling as he's been so busy with his job and extra study relating to work. Plus I feel I've got to put on a brave face for the kids, even when I'm not feeling 100%.

I'm not the type of person who finds it easy to admit to being like this and in a way I'd felt a bit ashamed of it, which is pretty silly I know. I was brought up in a way where there was always someone worse off than yourself and I just tend to shrug my shoulders and get on with it.

My GP thinks that I could be heading for an early menopause given the symptoms that I've been experiencing. I've to let her know how things go and she may carry out a blood test to see what my hormone levels are as I could be a candidate for HRT. I explained that my own mum had a difficult menopause and that I ended up having to leave home as I couldn't live with the atomosphere. My mum has a different personality from me and can be difficult in nature anyway, so the menopause just made things worse.

I told my GP that I've signed up to do a CBT course online in an attempt to make myself feel a bit more positive. She would like to know how I get on and has asked me to go back and see her again, which I will do in a couple of months time.

I'm glad that I've spoken to her about how I feel. It's a bit of a weight off my shoulders.:)

BubbleBonce
16-06-10, 13:12
Well done you Baggie. It's the first step to getting well. :)

I know what you mean about that stiff upper lip attitude, but in the end if you just soldier on it can get worse and for sure you won't get any help. I wish you luck with your online course and really hope it helps.

Bubble

Baggie
16-06-10, 13:22
Thanks for that Bubble. :D

Kerry B
16-06-10, 15:01
Hope you start to feel better Baggie.

Speak soon in the Chat Room

Take care Kerry x

Baggie
16-06-10, 18:52
Thanks for your kind words Kerry. Haven't ever tried the chat room, but will give it a go soon.:)

daybyday
16-06-10, 18:59
:hugs:A big hug to you. You made a brave step. Wow, a dr. that actually looks at you and asks how you are. That is wonderful.
I also was brought up to believe someone else is worse off than me. That learned thinking makes us stuff down our struggles.
To everyone here. Your struggle is important. I validate it with you. And I want all to be whole.

Baggie
17-06-10, 09:59
Hi daybyday

Thanks so much for your kind reply. I woke up this morning feeling just that little bit lighter. I think it's because I finally opened up and admitted how I feel. Hope you are feeling ok yourself. Take care. :)