PDA

View Full Version : Brain tumour and other fun stories

pringle
16-06-10, 21:13
Hey all,

I apologise for the length of it, please just skim read and/or skip to the bottom if you so wish!

As someone who is (hopefully) just about pulling himself out of a draining, life sapping 3 month health anxiety episode I thought I'd post a message in case anyone is going through anything similar and is on the lookout for reassurance.

2 years ago I went through a few months where I'd managed to convince myself I had bowel cancer or something equally nasty after finding a tiny bit of blood in my stool. The panic that this caused took me massively by surprise as I hadn't felt anything like it before, exacerbated by the near constant googling of symptoms (I know, I know). I won't go into the details of that period but basically I had a seemingly never ending string of symptoms conveniently queuing up to take over my life and my thoughts - I'd wake up with completely numb hands and arms most days, a strange dizziness, ringing in one ear almost constantly, back pain (had to bring a cushion into work), constant pain in my right arm, stiff neck, really bloated, abdominal pain where it felt like I had a lump beneath my rib cage, nausea, numb foot for 2 weeks, the list goes on! I should point out that these symptoms tended to usually just be one a time, as I'd be fixating on one at a time. As someone who had never experienced anything like this before, it was terrifying and seemingly self perpetuating. To cut a long story slightly shorter I ended up having all manner of blood tests, ECG, x-rays, ultrasound and general probing. My mum even drove me to A&E one night because she was so worried about me. I couldn't quite believe all this was linked to the discovery of the blood. This culminated in me having a particularly uncomfortable flexible sigmoidoscopy. When I was given the all clear with this, it almost immediately triggered a recovery and over a few days the symptoms dried up almost completely. It was about this time I became more and more convinced this was something to do with health anxiety, as I've always felt like a very anxious person generally and this seemed to fit. I discovered this site and began to realise the true havoc that anxiety can wreak on people. My parents were still unconvinced and still thought it was some sort of mystery virus.

Anyway, other than a few slightly minor episodes which I won't go into in this post, the past 2 years have been relatively symptom free. This was until the end of March when I suddenly got a strange bout of dizziness as well as a feeling in my head like I was always on the verge of a headache. This developed into a particularly nasty headache after a week that was unlike any I'd had before, it lasted for 3 full days and absolutely no pain medication would even touch it. This put my anxiety through the roof, I couldn't sleep, I could barely eat and all I could do was google symptoms, despite how much I knew I shouldn't and immediately came to the conclusion I had a brain tumour. After these 3 days I still didn't feel right, I had a remaining pressure in my head which refused to go away at all. I found it hard to describe to anyone, other than it being like the space in between my brain and skull was filled with glue. The sensation would change all the time as well, sometimes feeling like someone was pushing down on top of my head and other times like a tight band all around. There were numerous other weird sensations on top of this. Obviously the fixation kicked in and the last 2 and a half months have again been pretty bloody horrible with a constant pressure/pain of some kind in my head as well as various other symptoms that I'd read about related to brain tumours which suddenly sprang to life like magic. Anyway this ended with me having an MRI scan last week where they found precisely nothing. Guess what, suddenly the symptoms have all but gone. I feel shame and embarrassment about obviously wasting the medical time, but I really felt like I had no way out.

I believe I'm generally a rational, logical person- but yet I am never able to fully convince myself that it's just the anxiety. I can keep on telling myself this over and over again and to some extent that knowledge is comforting but it's like my brain never fully believes it and until I have the hard evidence on a piece of paper in front of me, then these things drag on and on basically putting my life in limbo for months on end. I sympathise with all you fellow sufferers.

My aim of this message was to

a) potentially comfort someone who may be having similar symptoms and is worried about them. I know this can be comforting because I obsessively spent hours trawling forums looking for people with similar symptoms.

b) Ask a question about medication- Obviously I've been to the doctors about this a sack load of times and the inevitable question about medication as one possible aid with this is going to come up when I go next week. I've taken diazepam a few times, mainly to just help me sleep and I was considering asking for some more of this, if only just so I know its there. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other medications that may be better for someone in my situation? I really don't want to have to start taking something regularly.

Anyway, that is all. Phew.

If anyone does want to PM me, please feel free to do so. I don't know anyone in my personal life that can really understand what it's like so am keen to discuss further.

Luke

leeann
16-06-10, 21:33
Thank you for taking your time to write out your experiences with health anxiety :)

Im not on any medication I try to cope on my own which is REALLY HARD! But I worry so much about taking tablets :weep:

And im like you can never find reassurance Till I have it on paper! then my mind switches to some thing else! never ending

xx

Humly
17-06-10, 08:36
Thanks for your post. Incidentally, my health anxiety was awakened big time following a bit of blood in my stool. Then I moved on to one thing after another. I can relate to what you are saying. Even though you know that there is probably nothing really wrong, the thing with having health anxiety is that you are telling yourself "but what if" and the trick is to just accept things and get on with life. This is very difficult when you have physical symptoms. I havent really managed to do this myself but have had quite long periods of calm. I've driven myself crazy over the years worrying about one thing or another and the same as you, as soon as the tests come back negative, then the symptoms disappear virtually overnight.

Have a chat with your doctor regarding medication as everyone is different and he/she might be able to suggest something that is right for you. Never tried diazapam (too scared) but in extreme circumstances I know it can help. Good luck. Sounds as if you are heading in the right direction. Let us know how you get on.

hugs
17-06-10, 09:29
Hi!! I really enjoyed reading your post, my anxiety has been ongoing for almost 2 full years now without a break! My main symptoms are all head related as my original fear was anything brain related, tumour, anuerysm etc but because I was pregnant when it first started other symptoms started to develop after I had my baby. I've recently finished CBT and I was told I would never get an MRI because it was quite clear to them that my symptoms were all psychological. Althought I have suffered from every single head sensation for a wopping 19 months non stop I do genuinely believe (thanks to my gp and therapist) that there is nothing physically wrong with my brain but yet my symptoms remain consantly. The head pressure gets so bad some days that I feel like my head is literally about to explode!! For the past week I've had a bad case of my whole face, jaw and scalp tightening I have to chew chewing gum to help me cope with it. I'm not frightened anymore but just wish I could have a 'normal' head again, I can't remember what it's like not to have a headache. Is it possible that my body is doing this just out of habbit? I'm trying meditation tomorrow, I've looked at hypnosis but it's too expensive. I went back to the docs last week to see if any medication would ease the pain but he gave me 20mg of Cit but I'm just too frightened after Reading the leaflet and I don't see how it could stop my scalp from tightening

XxxX

jessicalittler79
18-06-10, 04:17
omg i am so happy to find that someone has had head presure befor ,,,ive got head presure so bad that i can barley set up i have to lay down when it gets bad ,ive had blood test also ,ekg, but ive never had a brain scan and i realy want one to put my mind to rest...please pm me if u find anything thing out my doc tells me its anxitey also i do no how anx can make my head feel so tight

anthrokid
18-06-10, 06:27
Luke thank you so much for that post. I get these icky horrible head pressure and gloopy feelings too! It was really nice for me to read that you've also felt what you seem to describe as the exact same thing and have nothing wrong with your brain :) I too have had scans and they reassured me so much, just sometimes I still get the feelings when i am stressed (which clearly indicates to me that it's only anxiety) and start to worry again. But nothing like I used to, it's mostly just the discomfort and icky feelings that bothers me and the 'what if they never go away' rather than 'what if they are something bad'.

Thanks again for the post! :)

blueangel
18-06-10, 09:11
Hi Luke

Another fellow sufferer here. I would guess that I've had just about every weird anxiety symptoms it's possible to get, as I've been anxious for a long time. :D

This is just a quick note to say that I'll get back to you a bit later today, but I wanted you to know you're not alone!

Boxerharvey
18-06-10, 09:36
Im struggling big time this week with head symptoms which are making me feel so bad im convinced they cant be anxiety related. I keep getting aches and pains and like a falling feeling inside my head which last a few seconds. Also pressure/ache that seems to always be there sometimes dull sometimes as if im going to just black out and it seems worse when im trying to sleep. I keep telling myself this is just anxiety symptoms as ive suffered with anixety for years and had lots of tests that have come back negative but this time i just feel so bad. Last night i just felt so overwhelmed with the pains,tiredness and panic i thought i was going to have a breakdown. im just finding it so hard to think straight too i just feel like im going to lose my mind or die any day now.

pringle
18-06-10, 20:30
Hiya,

Thanks for all your replies. Boxerharvey, I'm sorry you're going through a particularly nasty patch at the moment. The overwhelmed feeling I can relate to- there were a few days when I couldn't quite believe what was happening to me, I truly felt like my days were numbered and I really wasn't functioning as a human being. I hope you manage to move past that stage soon.

I didn't realise quite how common head symptoms are, but from reading through your replies and looking at the sheer volume of brain tumour related posts on this site, it obviously is!

Temenos
23-06-10, 21:14
Pringle, I just read you post and nearly cried with relief!!! I can sooooooo relate to so many of the experiences that you have had. I am "kind of" just getting through a really bad episode of HA. After a long period of stress in various different areas of my life I suddenly awoke in March convinced that I have a Brain Tumour. I had some really bad headaches and went crazy "Googling" and I then began to experience a number of symptoms that I had read about.

I remember shopping for a new Dining Table with my Partner and Child and literally felt that one of my legs was failing me and that I would fall over at any point. (I didn't)!!!!! Since then I have noticed every single pain in my body and particularly in my hands and feet and again been worried sick!!!!

I was lucky and in April went on a dream holiday to somewhere I have always wanted to go to and now I look back, I don't feel like I was there, I know I was of course but the extreme anxiety was tearing me apart.

I managed to keep it together but I feel very sad that it got such a grip of me. Anyway prozac has not really helped me that much this time, I think time has been the great healer and Diazepam helped in the early days, far from spacing me out it actually made me feel more like myself but of course don't like taking too many of these, thanks for this post it has really helped x