PDA

View Full Version : so scared

smady
17-06-10, 16:42
i am a 34 mom of twin daughters, i had my first panic attack when I was 13, after many visits to the doctors and tests coming back that nothing was wrong, the feeling of major panic went away. When I was 22 i had my girls and 6 months later started to feel something I had never felt before. I felt totally detached from reality, almost like I was losing my mind. i was prescribed 20mg of paxil, which I'm not sure really helped. once I was able to deal with the panic attacks on my own and stop worrying about them is wheni found the feelings went away. I hadnt had a major attack in 12 years uo until 3 weeks ago. The same feelings are back as before< constant feeling of surrealness, afraid of driving, major heart pounding, sweaty palms, feeling like I am going to die. I went to the doctors and he prescribed citalopram and asked me to start with on 20mg, i was so afraid of the side effects that I avoided taking them, i lied to my friends and said I had started them, embarrased to tell them otherwise( how would they understand I was afraid to take something that is supposed to help) I found myself at the emerg room yesterday, so helpless, so scared, only to wait 3 hours and be told that a trauma had come in and it would be another 3 more to wait. I left there and went to my family doctors and talked to him anout my fears of being on meds. We went tru the possibl side effects together, and he asked me what is worse the side effects or feeling this way. I agreed and started taking the meds this morning, the doc and I agreed that starting of slow at 5 mg, and working my way up, would be the best for me. Hope this works, i just wanna feel like myself again

nomorepanic
17-06-10, 16:44
Hi smady

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

stomper1999
17-06-10, 17:36
Don't give up. I started on Cipralex 10 mg about a month ago, and after a horrible adjustment period of about 10 days .. . started to get some mental peace. . . it seems like you have to push through the first few weeks . . . .
before it starts to get better.

My "heart pounding" has subsided and the anxiety is abating, I am able to function, although quite tired, I am getting some good sleep and not waking up with the "severe sweats" . ..

My doctor has told me that I too need to let go of the "stigma" of using meds , (I am a 48 yr management professional, always "had it together" . .. . so this is embarrassing for me . .. ), and she is right, it is like any other disorder . .. .

Try to let the meds do their work . . when they start to work, you realize it is worth the wait and the adjustment .. . . .

Richard

smady
17-06-10, 19:04
thanks, did u have any surreal feelings, thats my biggest scare of all. The constanst feeling like you are losing your mind

stomper1999
17-06-10, 19:25
Somewhat-- in the worst moments, I have caught myself thinking that I was going to have to be institutionalized as I would not be able to look after myself or think rationally any more .. .

however those feelings have passed since the medication started working . .. . .

smady
17-06-10, 20:36
i'm glad to hear that, knowing there is a light at the end of this very dark tunnel.
Terra

jojo235
17-06-10, 22:26
hello every1, im new 2 this site an im findin it very helpfull.. i also suffer with anxiety an panic attacks an also depression :( im off work at the moment with it an does anybody ever feel drained an tierd all the time with these symtoms? jojo x

stomper1999
21-06-10, 17:49
Being very tired is something that I feel on a daily basis. I am managing it carefully by trying to get proper rest, and I am finding that excercise is key . . . .I go for a brisk walk every day, and it helps . .. seems to be building up my stamina.

I think my fatigue may be due in part to the toll of stress / exhaustion and the resulting anxiety, everyone's situation may be a little different, but you may want to look at incorporating more excercise and healthier rest habits into your routine, if you can.

Hope this helps.

RBD

Vixxy
21-06-10, 17:53
Im exactly the same with medication. Im currently weening myself onto seroxat, im on 5mg a day now, going to try for 7.5 mg soon. You can do it :D

Neo
21-06-10, 20:29
Being very tired is something that I feel on a daily basis. I am managing it carefully by trying to get proper rest, and I am finding that excercise is key . . . .I go for a brisk walk every day, and it helps . .. seems to be building up my stamina.

I think my fatigue may be due in part to the toll of stress / exhaustion and the resulting anxiety, everyone's situation may be a little different, but you may want to look at incorporating more excercise and healthier rest habits into your routine, if you can.

Hope this helps.

RBD

I do kick boxing 3 times a week which is good stress relief, but I am still tired all the time. :(

I find I get a build up of tension in the back of my head and neck, shoulder blades and upper back particularly to the left. Massage is good - if you have someone to do it for you all the time. :weep:

Neo
21-06-10, 20:32
thanks, did u have any surreal feelings, thats my biggest scare of all. The constanst feeling like you are losing your mind

I have those - I ride a motorbike instead of driving a car, and I get those feelings then. That's when they're scariest. :(