PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a new Pregabalin taker!

Belfry1973
17-06-10, 19:07
I've started this diary as after being prescribed it I looked for posts which talked about people experiences on it, but couldnt find anything in-depth so decided to start one that covers the first few weeks of taking it, so I hope some people find it useful, so any criticism will be useful!

A little background about me ! I've had depression and anxiety for years, most of the time it will be fine, but occasionally it becomes very severe. I also have epilepsy and will occasionally have a seizure, this year I've had three causing my anxiety to become very severe.
I've had diazepam in the past but spent 18 months getting off the vile stuff. I also cant take anti-depressants because they can lower your seizure threshold.
I take propanolol but that doesnt quite do it, so after a bit of research Pregabalin seemed to be the perfect thing, an anti-convulsant and used for GAD, so I decided to give it a go!

I'll continue the start of my journey on another post!

Belfry1973
17-06-10, 19:47
Please read the first post if you havent already! Thankies

Day 1 -No effect today at all, but then I wasnt really expecting it to! :D

Day 2 - I'm very surprised, they seem to be making a difference already, my mood does seem to keep lifting. I'm still having low points, but then I'll feel very cheerful for no reason whatsoever and that hasnt happened in a very long time.
I cant be too bad, I went to a Green Day concert with thousands of other people :yesyes: I did get visual disturbances which can be part of my epilepsy, but instead of freaking out and demanding to go. I tried to wait it out, even if I did have to hold tightly onto my partners hand and do breathing exercises and try to ignore my jelly legs.
I do think the propanolol, breathing exercises, my essential oils roll-on, my partner being there and the band playing did help though!
But hey, I was the person who couldnt go in Tescos by herself on Day 1!

Day 3 - :D That sums up my mood, I feel like a whole weight is off my shoulders, I dont think these tablets are supposed to be a stimulant but they feel like it.
I have had the first downside though, I slept right through till 12, and got up feeling awful, like I'd had no sleep at all. I staggered downstairs feeling very drowsy and it took a good hour before I felt normal. I can see why they recommend you dont drive, I'd have been lethal.
I also had my first falling into the wall :roflmao:Apparently this can also be very common, bumping into things and misjudging where things are. On the upside I havent suffered the dizziness which is one of the most common side effects.
Oh forgot the second downside, it warns you about weight gain, the weight gain is due to the fact that you just dont feel full! I went to Pizza Hut, ate 12 slices and coleslaw and potato salad and didnt feel stuffed at all whereas I would normally stop at about 5! I'm going to have to get some fruit in. I also feel very dehydrated, I have a very dry mouth.

But so far the positives are far outweighing the downsides! I'll keep you up to date as to whether this is a temporary thing or if it continues to help.
And if you've managed to read it all good on you, I'll try to make it shorter next time!

JT69
17-06-10, 20:25
Hi Belfry,

So glad you have decided to post your experience on here...I too have just started taking pregabalin for general anxiety. Could I ask what dose you are taking?? I started on 2x50mg and then after a week increased to 100mg at night and 50mg in the morning, this will of been a week tommorow at that dose. I must say I have had a bit of an up down week and more downs then ups....so have made an appointment with my Gp to discuss tommorow. I also take 30mg of mirtazipine as I had previously taken citalopram successfully in the past but it didnt work this time for me. Am not convinced the mirtazipine is helping so am thinking of starting to reduce the dose an perhaps coming off but will be interested to know how you get on with the pregabalin and keep your posts as long as you like....I for one will be following your journey.

Take care and glad you improving.

Jo.xx

Belfry1973
20-06-10, 12:13
Well I'm updating on day 6 , but I've been busy!

JT69 I'm on 75mg twice a day.

Day 4 - Today I woke feeling quite flat, certainly not the euphoria of the day before, I've realise now that that was probably more due to succeeding going to concert than the pregabaline by itself.
I've already put on weight, but thats not surprising given my capacity to eat, I never feel full so I suggest anyone going on this stocks up on healthy food and I'm going to have to learn to like fruit and veg :D
I do keep having highs which is quite pleasant, but the downside is then dealing with the come-downs, they arent bad enough to make you depressed, but to the outskirts of anxiety where its always just twitching at the edges!
No other major side effects though, no sleepiness, no drowsiness, just some light-headedness that passed quickly.

Day 5 - Woke up with the flatness again, well I think its flatness, I've been anxious for so long, even waking up anxious, that this might actually be 'normality' :roflmao: I've discovered a new feeling though! Feeling anxious about being anxious, or rather the lack of anxiety, I'm a little bit perturbed as to why I'm not tense and I rather suspect I'm actively looking for reasons to be anxious, which is of course, self-fulfilling! I've even take more propanolol to deal with an anxiety which isnt there.
Pseudo-anxiety perhaps!

Again no major side-effects apart from the food things, some light-headed but nothing anyone couldnt deal with, I'm not dizzy or doing the walking into walls thing. I have a dry mouth which I've had almost from the start, I am constipated, and my brain seems to be working quite slowly. But the last two could be down to something else entirely, or my seizure medication being increased.

All in all, the benefits ae far out-weighing the niggly bits!

C'yall on Day 6 and 7!

JT69
21-06-10, 18:09
Hi Belfry,

Sounds like you are doing well...may it continue.

Great you are posting.

Jo.xx

Belfry1973
21-06-10, 20:48
Day 6 - Well, what a day! I feel normal..................yes normal, not flat at all. And I had a huge rather unexpected test!. Me and my partner went down to watch the Manchester Day Parade which I was looking forward to. Fast forward I ended up on my own! I watched the parade with no problems surrounded by people, no wobble legs, no twitchy hands, yes I did have thoughts, mainly around shouldnt I be nervous, but I wasnt.
When it finished I had a wander round the shops in the Arndale Centre, bought a few things and went to find partner.
Now usually if I do manage to do things I get to a safe place, i.e the car and fall apart where I've been holding it in, no such thing occurred.

Now 2 weeks ago I couldnt go into Tescos on my own, now I'm wandering around a huge shopping centre with no problems. a huge step forward :yesyes:
Side effects: Not noticing any, capacity to eat huge amounts is still there, but no sleepiness or drowsiness, dizzyness and light headedness are non-exist, so nothing really.

Day 7 - Nothing to report! Have spent the whole day relaxing round the house, my mood is good!
Side effects: None at all, even the hunger thing has receded a bit!

Lets hope this continues and I'll be back in a couple of days!

JT69
22-06-10, 07:12
Hi Belfry,

So you are not on any anti-depressants?? Do you just take pregabalin and propananol?? Are you staying on 150mg daily of pregabalin?

So glad that you are feeling so well, it is an inspiration to the rest of us taking pregabalin....I have suffered for 11 years with depression/anxiety and tried some different types of AD's but the anxiety has always managed to come back.

Currently am on mirtazipine 30mg and 150mg of pregabalin but hope to come off the mirtazipine if the pregabalin continues to help me.

Worried a bit about the weight gain though, gained half a stone with mirtazipine which I am over-weight to begin with...I find I never feel full since taking pregabalin???

Take care and hope you continue to feel well.

JO.xx

Belfry1973
22-06-10, 11:22
Hi Jo

I dont take any anti-depressants, they can lower seizure thresholds and I'm not prepared to risk it, nor am I actually depressed!
I am just on 150mg of pregabalin and 80mg of propanolol, which I can up to 100mg if necessary. I did try mirtazapine, but I was one of the very few unlucky ones for whom mirtazapine did more harm then good, I was back off it again within 3 days.

Oh and the food thing, nope I am never full and I can eat for England, not healthy when you are already 5 stone overweight! All I can try to do is not indulge in it. I eat my 3 meals a day and try to stop it at that, I've cut out take-aways at the moment and resisted going to my favourite Indian buffet, I'm also going away this weekend and decided to go self-catering so we arent eating out every day. I cant suddenly go on a diet because that just wouldnt work, I hoping that the little things I'm doing will help!

BubbleBonce
22-06-10, 13:07
Have a great break Belfry. I'm reading your diary with interest and cheering you along from the sidelines.

Bubble :flowers:

Belfry1973
23-06-10, 23:07
Day 8 - All in all a pretty quiet day. I have discovered one of the bad side effects that I didnt realise had gotten that bad till I went shopping. My sister is getting married soon and she insisted I got to a shop to try these dresses on (thankfully she wasnt there!) so I got usual size and the only way I was going to get it on was to tear it, so next size which also wouldnt even do up :weep: At that point I was informed that I was not going to fit into that style of dress, and the only one I could get into was another size up!
I've gone up 2 dress sizes in just over a week! When you are my size already, putting on that much weight isnt good!
BUT I dont find that a reason to consider giving or give them up, I'd happily become 40 stone if these things work!

Side effects - Apart from the above, none, nil, zilch

Day 9 - Having what I call a 'twitchy' day, one where I can feel the anxiety underneath the surface without it really coming through, I have had my max of propanolol as well.
Whether I would have actually had a pa or been really anxious if I had gone out earlier I have no idea. I have just spent a couple of hours out this evening with no problems.

Side effects - little bit of light-headedness, but my memory and concentration have been shocking, I'll be looking at tv, then out the window, then my book, then back to the tv! Hopefully this will calm down!

So, into the 2nd week and its looking good so far!

Belfry1973
24-06-10, 23:41
Day 10 - Has been rubbish :D Twitchy again, eating for England, etc, but cant honestly say this is down to the medication or me getting a bit anxious about going away for the weekend. Meeting lots of people I dont see very often and going out to the pub :scared15:, we'll see how it goes!

Just also to say I'm doing Day 10 actually on Day 10 because I wont be back till Monday, and I'll be sure to update you all! :yesyes:

JT69
25-06-10, 07:06
Hi Belfry,

You will be fine once you get there....its natural to feel a little anxious and twitchy!!

Hope it goes well for you.

Take care
JO.xx

duck1
29-06-10, 16:07
Hello Belfry
Hope you are still doing O.K Hope you don't mind my question, my husband has just been prescribed Pregabalin for serious rheumatiod pain so I am a little confused at it appears to be an anti anxiety med. We were led to believe it was a pain killer. Thanks Duck1

Belfry1973
29-06-10, 16:38
Hi duck

Pregabalin is foremost a painkiller, or should I say helps to relieve pain, it also an anti-convulsant and more recently found to be effective for anxiety. I take it for the last two reasons, I do also have rheumatoid arthritis but havent found it effective for that, but I'm sure you know there are many different types of rheumatoid arthritis!

I shall be updating my diary shortly, due to being on a lovely holiday! :yesyes:

Belfry1973
01-07-10, 00:31
My hugest amounts of apologies for leaving this for so long, what with the weekend away and then catching up with everything its been mad!

If you read the previous post you'll know I was going away, so firstly heres the weekend!

Friday - I was fairly nervous, out of my comfort zone and going to meet old friends, but also people I hadnt met before. But the evening went fine and I didnt even feel the need to drink a lot to calm my nerves as I have in the past! Even after seeing some poor chap get thumped unconciousness didnt have me stressing other than to help him

Saturday - In the day time we went off to a very busy market and small theme park, 1000s of people around us, but it was ok, I even wanted to go on the rollercoasters which I havent done in months. The evening was a bigger group of friends, some I hadnt met before so I was a little introverted but soon opened up.

Sunday - Got thoroughly depressed watching the England match, but then I wasnt the only one, I did feel the need to spend the time with my partner though rather than with friends. At this point the whole weekend had taken its toll!

Since then I've been fine, went shopping this evening and my partner wandered off but didnt feel the need to keep him in sight or worry about him. I'm also taking a big step tomorrow by getting the bus into the centre of Manchester and I aint really stressing about it, nor am I about going back to work next week! But we'll see!

So the meds seem to be doing the work, not woken up anxious recently or got anxious in my own home, the visual disturbances have almost stopped (this is more likely due to my epilepsy though), and I dont stress about having a seizure everytime I walk out the door!

Side-effects - Oh they are annoying me now! My mouth just does not always work the way I want it to, words can come out wrong or I'll just stop dead when talking because I cant remember the words! But as mentioned before its a small price to pay for the place I'm in now!
The weight thing, its better, I'm no longer eating all the time, but when I do feel hungry it will come one all of a sudden and hits really fast! The weight gain has slowed down, but no sign of that extra 10lbs coming off anytime soon!
The dry mouth is liveable with, you know that cotton wool mouth feeling you get when you wake up? Well, its like that and mostly all the time, thankfully I dont have full sugar drinks or I'd be huge! :D

So its all good guys and I want to :yahoo: cos I'm damn happy! I'm going to pick back up in a week or so, but will check for posts, but keep well and keep taking the meds!

Bel
X

JT69
01-07-10, 07:06
Hi Bel,

Really glad you enjoyed your weekend...you did really well and it is very encouraging for you. I can relate to the hunger thing...it just comes on??..I havent been on the scales lately as I know I wont like what I see...but like you say a small price to pay to get your life back.

I hope the good journey continues for you and you go from strength to strength. How long have you been off work?

I hope it all goes well for you next week.

TC
Jo.xx

Belfry1973
01-07-10, 11:04
Thanks JT

I've been off work for 6 weeks now, its going to be difficult going back because they have been the biggest source of my anxiety but I'm on half-pay and I cant afford not to. So I'm just going to suck it and see and wait for them to give me my notice!

Belfry1973
04-07-10, 14:48
well, if you had read my first post you would have seen that I am also taking the Pregabalin in the hope of it also stopping my seizures, well it hasnt! I was lucky enough to have another one last night :mad:

But the every so slightly teeny weeny spark of light is that I dont feel so nervous about it! I got up got dressed, went out on the town, went into the bar myself leaving OH outside, etc, without a panic attack!

And yes I'm almost constantly thinking about it, but its more on a bugger bugger bugger basis, rather than a omg, I cant go out, I'll have one in the street, people will rob me, they'll laugh, etc

Long may this continue, going to speak to my GP tomorrow though about increasing the dosage.

BTW still got the dry mouth, but the weights dropping back off again! :yesyes:

Belfry1973
07-07-10, 19:25
I shouldnt be so pessimistic!

If you had read my above posts you will have seen that I was going back to work this week, well it wasnt entirely a success and they are complete :banned: but I'm still there! The low dose of pregabalin I was on obviously isnt enough to let me cope with the stresses and strains of working, and I've spent the past 2 days in tears and panicking!

So, the dose has been doubled to 300mg a day and I shall still carry on my diary to let you know if it works, and whether the side effects come back or change.

Love ya all

Bel

rambler
11-07-10, 12:06
I do keep having highs which is quite pleasant, but the downside is then dealing with the come-downs, they arent bad enough to make you depressed, but to the outskirts of anxiety where its always just twitching at the edges!

I so agree with you, Belfry. I'm on day 4 of 100mg twice daily and I feel exactly how you describe. I'm feeling better than I have in ages and I think it's a wonder drug...but I'm so physically twitchy. I can't sit still, I can't sleep, I can't eat. I'm going to read on with your post and see what I have to come!

Belfry1973
13-07-10, 22:54
Well I dont think I can give a proper analysis of how its going. Work is so unbelievably stressful I cant think straight, and am in a permanent anxious state! :mad:

However I dread to think what it would be like without the pregabalin! For the most time I can go on the buses by myself, not panic in work or clients houses, etc, so I think they are definately working and if I didnt have the work stress I'd be fine!

Side effects: Nil, though I do still have the dry mouth, everything else is fine.

Will still keep you peeps updated, and hopefully all the crap at work will stop soon and I'll be able to give you a clearer update :yesyes:

brownbread42
22-07-10, 16:26
Hy its me Kath watching how you are doing Emma, and you are an inspiration to get about on the bus after all those horrible panic attacks and things, keep in touch I have had some of those feelings myself after the past events, so cheering you on lots of love K

Belfry1973
27-07-10, 08:41
Hi all

Well, I'm back again, sorry its been so long!

Its probably still not entirely fair to talk about the effects of the pregabalin because of the other stresses in my life, but the anxiety is still down a hell of a lot! What I think it is doing is allowing me to think about whats going on, and attribute problems to 'real' things rather than what my imagination is doing!
And my imagination can run pretty riot at time!
For example I had 2 massive panic attacks last week, but was able to recover pretty quickly and carry on with what I was doing!

Onto our fav subject, side effects! The dry mouth is still with me, but I'm used to carrying drinks around with me now so thats not too bad!

The slight euphoria and what I call 'whoooaaahhhh'ness my head does is back, perhaps I've noticed because my nervousness has pretty much died down. Now most people wouldnt be happy with this but I am! Why? Because I've finally realised that that sensation is not me about to have a seizure but the pregabalin! Many wouldnt see that as a good thing, but seeing as my panic and anxiety is directly affected by my fear of having a seizure being able to attribute to something else is great! :yesyes:

Seriously though, its still going very well, I'm still doing stuff I couldnt before I took them and the pro's are def outweighing the cons!

Keep well people, I'll keep you updated!

Bel

Belfry1973
03-08-10, 16:08
Hi all, time for the weekly update!

Well, things are much the same as before, no side effects other than the dry mouth, as rusty has also realised taking them with food is the way to minimise the side effects. My stress levels are massively high, but the pregabalin is most definately working to keep that anxiety down.

Had the most unbelievable thing happen to me today! Went to the neurologist, as regular readers will know my anxiety is caused by my epilepsy, and having had 4 seizures this year it sent my anxiety rocketing, well, its not my epilepsy!
The neurologist thinks it is non-epileptic seizures caused by stress :ohmy:
I'm still shocked as to whether this is good or bad, I've decided its good! The epilepsy I cant do anything about, but the stress I can!
So with the help of the propanolol and the pregabalin I'm going to make sure all of my life is now stress free!

Keep well

Bel

JT69
03-08-10, 16:29
OMG!! What suprising news for you Bel!! I didnt realise you could have non-epileptic seizures especially caused by stress?

Yes thats all you have to do then (easier said than done) stress free life!!

What dose are you currently on pregabalin?? I am currently reducing my mirtazipine dose and thinking of increasing the pregabalin to 200mg (my GP suggested this a while ago), my anxiety did get better but last few days has been pretty tough again!! Mind you have had some stressy days dealing with family matters, so it may be due to that and also visiting my family (my father was the initial cause of my anxiety) so I will wait to see if it settles over the next few days.

Glad for you anyhow.

TC
Jo.xx

rambler
03-08-10, 16:35
Belfry and JT69....how long have you both been taking Lyrica?

JT69
03-08-10, 16:52
Hi rambler,

I have been taking pregabalin since end of May...started on 50mg now on 100mg at night then 50mg in the morning.

Jo.xx

Belfry1973
05-08-10, 00:35
Hi rambler

End of May for me as well, I think! Started on 75mg in the morning and at night. Currently on 150mg in morning and at night. I was doing really well on the lower dose, but then went back to work prob earlier than I should have done and had to have it doubled!

Since finding out my seizures are non-epilepsy related I've actually become quite a bit calmer so we will see how it goes from now on!

JT69
12-08-10, 09:03
Hi Bel,

Have just read back through your post to see if you had any extra side effects when you doubled your dose from 150mg to 300mg...other than dry mouth it looked like it went smoothly...is this the case?? How are you doing at work now? I have currently reduced my dose of mirtazipine to 15mg but kept the pregablain at 150mg my aim is to get myself off the mirt and stick with the pregabalin. My job is stressful and I think it adds to my anxiety..I had a pretty bad day yesterday and this morning feel awful. When I saw my GP some time ago he said I could increase to 200mg at that time but as I seemed to be managing I didnt do that. I am thinking of taking 100mg at night and 100mg in the morning....do you think the increase will effect me at work?? Dont want to have to take time off again.

Thanks.
JO.xx

Chez99
13-08-10, 10:37
Hi there,

I am increasing mine to 300mg on Monday too. I Have only been on 150mg a day for a week. Would be interested too to see how the increase affects anyone. I am in the same boat not wanting to take time off again :O) By the way Belfry your diary is great and a real help.

Chez99
13-08-10, 12:46
Hi Bel again,

Are you able to have a drink with Lyrica? I am off out for a meal tomorrow and would like a glass or 2 of wine. I am going to ask my GP this afternoon (I am not driving or anything). How (if you do drink) do you find the affects of alcohol?

Cheers Chez

Belfry1973
13-08-10, 17:22
HI chaps, sorry the update has been so long but wrote a whole load yesterday then the power went off!

JT - The doubling of the dose did go very smoothly, less than when I actually started, but I could very much notice the euphoria after taking, but as I've said before definitely helped by taking it with food. I found that I suddenly became quite chirpy and gabbled on a bit. I would have a word with your supervisor/manager, etc and explain that might happen.

Chel - I have certainly drunk with them and found no ill effects, I certainly didnt find the effect of the Lyrica or alcohol was any stronger than before. Saying that I actually drank less when I did go out, but that was because I found I didnt need so much 'dutch courage'! :roflmao:

Anyhoo, the past week has been quite positive! I've realy cut down on the propranolol, taking it as needed rather than as a regular twice a day dose. What I havent liked is having to deal with the euphoria feelings, obviously the propranolol was hiding that!

Highlight of the day was going to a big science centre, lots of high walkways with quite big drops, for a long time I've had problems with walking across bridges of any height, so stood peering over the edge was an acheivement, it didnt quite stop the thoughts in my head but they were bearable!

Dry mouth - Did I even have to say this?

Although Lyrica worked almost straight away I do think it is properly working now almost 5 weeks on. I cant be positive its just the drug that has made things better, I've also had to make some other changes, such as reducing stress, going for counselling, etc I've still got a way to go, but Lyrica is definately helping with that! :yesyes:

JT69
14-08-10, 07:15
Hi Bel,

Glad you doing so well....thanks for the advice....I find it so hard to eat first thing in the morning cos thats when my anxiety is at its worst so often have to take the meds with a banana or a cereal bar. Have found the increase really helping me but have been feeling a bit spaced out a while after I take it so am trying to get used to that.
Jo.xx

JT69
14-08-10, 07:16
Hi Chez,

I drink in moderation on the occasional time so you will be fine...I take mirtazipine as well as pregabalin at the moment.

Enjoy!!!

JO.xx

Chez99
14-08-10, 11:40
Thanks Bel :yahoo:

katyw66
21-08-10, 20:43
thanks a lot your diary is very helpful.Ive been on lyrica and cymbalta for over a year now and my son has started on lyrica too,for alcoholism. \i see these changes in hnd Ive forgotten how iit was at the beginning.I must say it helps my depression a lot b ut not all the time.sometimes Im back in my room with the curtains closed.But I must say this is the best combination Ive taken so far. Good luck to you

Belfry1973
03-09-10, 20:10
Oh blimey its been too long since I updated, but I've been a bit busy!
Anxious me who could barely go out the house in June, didnt like different places and didnt like crowds went to my sisters hen weekend at Manchester Pride. 17 of us dressed up as drag queens with 20k other people was a baptism of fire! But it was fabulous! and Yay me! :yesyes:

It is working, and I'd say its probably taken this long to get the full effects. It helps me on a day to day basis, to go to the shops, take a walk, etc, but its not helping with the major stresses like dealing with my work place, but the counselling is doing that. However I've not had any stress-induced seizures since taking it so I'm hoping its fixed that! I do still have days where I become anxious and panicky for no reason and I end up tearful, but they are a lot less than they used to be.

For me they have been a lifeline and made a world of different, they let me look at the world objectively, for example lets me look at why I'm anxious and work out a solution, but I also need counselling as I cant work out the major issues by myself but the two combined are doing really well so far.
Its like all medications I guess, for some people it might work on its own, but for others they are going to need some kind of counselling, etc

Keep well all

Bel
X

Belfry1973
05-10-10, 21:06
~Dont stop believing......................hold on to that feee eee ling'~ :whistles:

Dont mind me, I'm having a good old sing along to Journey! :yesyes:

A month on peoples, hows it going?

Flipping heck I'm cheerful! And I really shouldnt be! Tomorrow I'm off to the neurologist to get the results of my MRI scan and see if I can have my driving licence, and on Thursday I go to Dublin. Spose the second would cheer most people up, but I have an absolute phobia of the sea and boats, first time I went on a ferry 5 years ago I had to have valium to get on it. But now I'm going to be stuck on the thing for 7 hours sailing from Liverpool!:scared15: Terrified? I should be, instead I just have the normal butterflies from it, I'm sure getting on it I will be quite anxious but before I would have been very anxious even thinking about it!

Ok, the Lyrica, well its working rather well I think, my counselling has also done wonders. The side effects, i.e the 'whooshing' and the spaced outness has pretty much gone, I think thats because, in some part I've been taking them with food, but still.
I'm just used to the dry mouth now, annoying though it is. The speech thing is rather annoying as well, I dont let myself get frustrated by it, if I cant remember the name of something, some flappy kind of sign language will have to suffice! :D
I've also cut the amount of propranolol right back, when I started Lyrica I was on 60 - 100mg a day, over the past 7 seven days I've taken 60mg...............in total! I think thats a good indicator of how good I'm feeling!

I'm also planning to go back to work now but on a planned return to work plan!
I hope you're all feeling good, and long may it continue!

In the mood for a bit of jig around the living room now!
~Since you've been gone...........since you've been gone......~ :whistles:

:bighug1:
Bel
X

JT69
07-10-10, 10:54
Hi Bel,

So glad you sound so buzzing!!! Hope that your scan results were o.k and I wish you a great trip to Dublin.

Are you on 300mg of lycria now?? I know you increased but cant remember what dose you are currently on.

I am having a bit of a blip again and am waiting to see if it settles and if not will go back to see my gp about an increase on the lycria...I am currently on 200mg (100 at night and 100 in the morning).....I dont want the anxiety to continue too much and end up making me depressed again!! It doesn't help the feeling that its coming up to almost a year ago when I crashed....sound silly but it just seems to be in the back of my mind!!!

Keep in touch let us know how you go....

Take care
Jo.xx

geejaybee
10-10-10, 10:45
Hi,

I was prescribed pregabalin after I developed a sleep disorder (comiong off mirtazapine. However it just kept me awake all night and I had to discontinue.

SuziDusk
15-03-11, 15:13
Wow Bel I have just read ur diary and it was really good to read. You certainly have done well from someone similar to me who was scared to leave ur house, to the person you are now.
I am on diazapam 40mg and 150mg Pregabalin tds. As I have agoraphobia and GAD I guess maybe, my anxiety levels are pretty extreme, I go pick up my meds daily which is good as I have to go out I have no one to go for me, so it is something that I am happy about. OK it takes me til around 12.30 to get together enough to go and I spend a few hours on here or another site to try and get my head in a decent state so I am able to do the 10min there and back walk. I come back in a total sweat and shake, but I do it and I am proud of being able to. I also go into town with my daughter on a Weds to get my shopping. I live alone so again its the fact I have no choice as if I dont go I dont eat simplez!!!! I do have to go in occasionally on my own, I struggle, big time, I do exactly what I have to do in exactly the same order and generally exactly the same time and get the same things, hmmm slightly OCD maybe, I dont know, but thats how I have to do it. I walk with my mp3 player on and look at the ground and other than talk to the shop assistants I dont even notice anyone else. Once done I jump in a taxi, up to the chemists, and then walk home. Either alone or with my daughter I am a sweaty mess, and its into the shower. And then I just have to chill for the day come online or watch telly or read. But I will never answer the door unless I know its my daughter, once I am in, and thats ever. If someone has to come round I must have a phone call first.
Sorry, I am taking over your thread here, but basically I just want to give u props as you are amazing, I would love to be able to achieve the things you have. I am awaiting CBT and Occupational Therapy but there is a long waiting list so its just persevere, but with you saying how much it has helped, is given me a big boost knowing that its helped you, and I cant wait to start. All I want is to get back to work and to start a life again as at the moment it consists of visiting my daughter and granddaughters and the computer. So thanks your diary has given me hope, I apprecaite it greatly!! xxxx :hugs:

ISLASMUMMY
01-04-11, 23:58
Hey guys,

Just wanted to add to the experience really.

I am diagnosed with GAD, Panic, & Hypochondriasis (like very severe health anxiety)

I have spent years trying meds & counselling, and getting nowhere fast.....until I discovered pregabalin a fortnight ago! I am terrified about meds, and it took a huge leap of faith to try them and already I am seeing great results (tbh i saw them after 48hrs), im not 100% yet, and have just had my dose increased as my psychiatrist has said that 75mg BD quite often isnt enough......so were trying 150mg twice a day as from today, so I will stay in touch as to how I get on.

I do also take Citalopram 20mg.

Main side effect I am noticing is increased appetite, I had the fuzziness for a few days at the beginning but that has all but gone now.......hope it doesnt come back lots with the increase - lol

Take care everyone xxx

sunset30
07-05-11, 13:33
Hey there
I started taking this medication 3 weeks ago starting with 25mg at 1st week
2nd week 50mg at night, 75mg 3rd week and starting on this dose for the next 2 weeks till i see the doctor.

I have found your diary very interesting to read as i can see that i am not the only one getting some of these effects and certainly everyone is effected slightly diferent.

I found at the 1st week i felt really doppy and a bit scatty and agitated like i should be doing something b ut when i did had wave s of extreme tiredness.
I was a bit wobbly on my feet like i had been drinking alcohol. Also tried putting cooking oli in the freezer and realised what i was doing half way through. Other things putting coffee into a cup of tea which made me laugh. Aslo had a moment when i was thinking but didnt realise i was speaking allowed my thought. The odd moment of laughing or euphoria.

I feel it has a got better at calming down my anxiety but not so and a bit of the GAD i have. But still finding i am getting extremely sweaty hands and feet but phases of dryness. I don't get as aggitaed as i use to. But if i get push enough i can snap at people mainly my partner.

I do get a moments of feeling very cold or hot flushes but hoping over time this will pass.
Think i may need to have my dose increased if the doctor allows it.

I get very vivid dreams some nightmares at the start but not sure if thats to do with the tablets i'm taking fot insomina. Noticed the pregablin has not relaxed me enough to stop the annoying thought i get before trying to sleep yet. also i lost my sex drive ompletly but it seems to have brought it back which is great!

I do have moments of down daysto but no like before and no crying:yesyes:
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if pregablin has to me in your system for a long time before you get the full effects? Or have i been having the full effects?

sunset30
07-05-11, 13:52
I forgot to mention i have noticed my body feels slightly bloat especailly on my period more so than i would be. I do Have extreme craving for bad a carbs and sugary things and my wieght has slightly creeped up the 3 weeks i have been on these pregabalin i so hope i dont put to much wieght on as i dont wont to obsess anymore than i already do about how i look. I have been taking a herbal tablet i got from my local heath and herb shop called CHROMIUM i have started today which stops you craving sweety things and carbs starchy foods. Perhaps that might be worth trying ladies, check with your doctore first though.
Not feeling as hungry in the start of my day which is about 11-12 but as the day goes on i could quite easily eat a horse covered in chocolate!

Its does take me ages to wake up properly to start functioning but my day mainly consisting of a bit of tidying up going on the internet/tv or the odd walk to my local town 10 mins away from my home.

I have got interested in starting photography but starting to get a tad nervous that i may mess it up or fail and wont be able to constantly do it as a profession due to my GAD,Drepression,Anxiety. Socail phobia and Agrophobia and obsessiveness.

So hope these meds can help i so want to be aproductive memeber of society :shades:.

loufitz
30-05-11, 17:20
Hey
I started on 75mg three days ago, I ached the first day, was great the second day but the second night I was really sick and today feel like I have a bug which I may well have but as a result feel really anxious, anyone know if this will cease ?
L

eight days a week
25-07-11, 19:15
Thank you very much for posting this diary it's really useful info :)

kevbros
07-08-11, 08:09
Hi Belfry ... Does this fit in OK with your work ??

JT69
07-08-11, 11:16
Hi kevbros,

Not sure if Bel posts anymore but I take pregabalin and am fine at work with it...when I first started and whenever I have increased a dose I do feel a little detatched/spaced out but manage to carry on regardless.

I take 150mg in the morning and 100mg at night along with 7.5mg of mirtazipine.

Hope that helps you.

Jo.x

Belfry1973
08-09-11, 14:47
Oh my good golly Gosh!

It's been nearly a year since I last posted and over over 16 months since I started the Lyrica! :ohmy:

Sorry its been so long, but I have this weird thing whereby if I'm not feeling anxious and doing ok I have to stay away from any kind of anxiety websites, books, etc. I think it just acts as a reminder of what happened and starts up my old 'getting anxious about being anxious' thing!

So whats happened? No more seizures since July last year which is excellent. The anxiety is so much better its untrue, I've also stopped getting the persistant headaches and visual disturbances. And I put this down to one major factor! I QUIT MY JOB! :yesyes: Once that monkey was off my back it was like a huge weight was gone and I recovered a lot more rapidly.
Not to say it was plain sailing though, it was most certainly not. I didnt manage to get another job till the beginning of August which started stressing me again and my anxiety started to twitch, I do now have another job but without being snobbish it's like once I was the manager of a company, now I'm the cleaner, but it pays! And I got my driving licence back and I've been back driving nearly 2 weeks. I was driving when I had my breakdown and the anxiety got too much, so I'm trying to change my thinking again as I'm getting a little nervous the more I drive, my use of Propanolol has increased but its very much as and when now. But it'll come together eventually.

What the past years events have taught me is that the Pregabalin certainly helped, but it didnt cure it, I had to look at the outside stresses and problems that were causing my anxiety and change it. I havent had to have the Pregabalin increased!

And hows the Pregabalin, well I still have the dry mouth, thats never gone away, its a pain but now I'm used to taking a drink everywhere. It makes the effect of any alcohol I drink super strong so I'm almost tee-total. The getting dizzy and feeling a bit off if I dont take it on a full stomach or just before eating is still there, and yes on occasions I can eat to bursting.
But it's all about management, which is important with any meds.
I do still have trouble with word finding occasionally or saying the wrong word, but nowhere near as much, and I'm not entirely convinced its all down to the Pregabalin as it is too any memory problems caused by having seizures. Both the word finding and short term memory issues have increased over the years.

Am I cured? No, will I ever be? I hope so, but maybe not entirely. But now I know what to do if there are issues again.
It can be done people, I did it! Loads of love, lots of hugs and thank you for listening! :bighug1:

Bel
X

petram
13-12-11, 14:35
hi peeps im thinking of starting this meds as ssri s make my anxiety go through roof , hence why im having a rough time now !!! been off them 9 weeks was on em 8 !
does this med satbilise your anxiety would u say ?? xxx
well done for posting diarys on this , im sure its been a great help with many <3

robinbrum
14-12-11, 13:04
Oh my good golly Gosh!

It's been nearly a year since I last posted and over over 16 months since I started the Lyrica! :ohmy:

Sorry its been so long, but I have this weird thing whereby if I'm not feeling anxious and doing ok I have to stay away from any kind of anxiety websites, books, etc. I think it just acts as a reminder of what happened and starts up my old 'getting anxious about being anxious' thing!

So whats happened? No more seizures since July last year which is excellent. The anxiety is so much better its untrue, I've also stopped getting the persistant headaches and visual disturbances. And I put this down to one major factor! I QUIT MY JOB! :yesyes: Once that monkey was off my back it was like a huge weight was gone and I recovered a lot more rapidly.
Not to say it was plain sailing though, it was most certainly not. I didnt manage to get another job till the beginning of August which started stressing me again and my anxiety started to twitch, I do now have another job but without being snobbish it's like once I was the manager of a company, now I'm the cleaner, but it pays! And I got my driving licence back and I've been back driving nearly 2 weeks. I was driving when I had my breakdown and the anxiety got too much, so I'm trying to change my thinking again as I'm getting a little nervous the more I drive, my use of Propanolol has increased but its very much as and when now. But it'll come together eventually.

What the past years events have taught me is that the Pregabalin certainly helped, but it didnt cure it, I had to look at the outside stresses and problems that were causing my anxiety and change it. I havent had to have the Pregabalin increased!

And hows the Pregabalin, well I still have the dry mouth, thats never gone away, its a pain but now I'm used to taking a drink everywhere. It makes the effect of any alcohol I drink super strong so I'm almost tee-total. The getting dizzy and feeling a bit off if I dont take it on a full stomach or just before eating is still there, and yes on occasions I can eat to bursting.
But it's all about management, which is important with any meds.
I do still have trouble with word finding occasionally or saying the wrong word, but nowhere near as much, and I'm not entirely convinced its all down to the Pregabalin as it is too any memory problems caused by having seizures. Both the word finding and short term memory issues have increased over the years.

Am I cured? No, will I ever be? I hope so, but maybe not entirely. But now I know what to do if there are issues again.
It can be done people, I did it! Loads of love, lots of hugs and thank you for listening! :bighug1:

Bel
X

So glad to hear of your positive experiences with Pregabalin. Interestingly my GP has told me that it is only a short-term medication and yet you have been on it for over a year now. I am just about to start it.
Maybe i should think about changing my GP.

JT69
14-12-11, 18:17
Hello,

I also have been taking this med for well over a year??? My gp said it is fine to take long term if necessary.

It has really helped me in terms of general anxiety...I also take 7.5mg of mirtazipine.

I would really reccommend it to anyone!!!

Jo.x

robinbrum
15-12-11, 00:12
They don't want to give it to me because it costs too much and apparently there is little evidence that it is successful that it is effective as an anti-depressant...completely contrary to almost everyone I have spoken to on here.
I don't see the pint in putting me on it for just 3 months.

Andrea2607
30-06-13, 19:18
Hi Robinbrum,

Glad to hear that things are getting better for you and the Pregabalin seems to be working. I have had depression and anxiety disorder for about fifteen years and have tried every drug out there and I can say that Pregablin has made a huge difference the only downside being the weight gain. I am trying to control that and am going to the gym tomorrow (if I have the courage to go out the door). I am curently on 100mg Pregabalin twice a day, 300mg Venlafaxine in the morning and 20mg Olanzapine at night. It's a lot of meds but I think I have finally found a combination that helps me. Are you on any other meds?