PDA

View Full Version : Blips - How long can they last?

Arclite
12-02-06, 19:19
I've been on Citalopram for 9 weeks now and was making really good progress. I started off awful and was nearly bed ridden for the first week. I'm now back to work and getting better with time...

...however, on wednesday night I had a panic attack. I got up to the toilet and came over abit funny, I felt alittle sick and that sent my vomit related anxiety into overdrive. I went into a full breakdown, shakeing and irrational behavior. Eventually it subsided and I was able to fall aslepp, but since then the anxiety is back as strong as it was during those first few weeks.

It's now been about 3-4 days since that attacka nd I'm still not feeling any better. I took Thursday and Friday off work, but I don't want to take anymore, but if I feel like this tomorrow I'm not sure how I'll be able to go in.

I think I have a mild cold as I feel quite tired, groggy and I have a stiff neck. This could be the cause of some of the anxiety I suppose...

Urgh!

I'm contemplating going to the doctors to see if my dosage needs to be increased as I'm only on 10mg per day.

Will I ever feel normal?!

Tomimo
12-02-06, 19:46
I always find that if I am physically ill or run down the symptoms are very similar to those of panic and I am never quite sure how anxious I am.

It sounds as if you were doing much better. If I were you I would give yourself another couple of days to try and get over this blip, make sure you eat well, get enough sleep and go about your normal routine as much as possble and you may find it just passes.

If it's too much or doesn't improve then I am sure your gp would be more that happy to see you to discuss your dose etc.

I know it's hard but it is just a blip and although they make you feel rubbbish, they do pass. having a taste of normality makes you feel the effects more when they happen.

Try and stay positive
Annie x

jackie
12-02-06, 20:56
hi

hope you dont mind the advice as it comes from someone who is still trying to recover, but along with the meds you must try to accept even set backs as a part of your recovery. you must try not to panic then feel you are back to square one and start the whole fear cycle again. accept your cold and your blip as part of recovery and normal reactions and move on if you can.

above all dont despair, dr claire weekes says blips are almost essentail for true recovery, so just accept what is happening now and let more time pass until this blip is over

hope im of use, wish i could practice what i preach for acceptance and patience in recovery are the key of that i am sure

jackie

henri
12-02-06, 22:27
hi there,
blips are a nightmare, aren't they? especially when you have cold symptoms. i'm like annie - whenever i have a cold or something coming on, i always associate it with panic and it makes everything worse.
i always just try to stay calm and follow the clare weekes thing of accepting, floating and letting time pass. nice warm bath, cup of herbal tea and an early night. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, you know what it's like. but blips do always pass.
really hope you start feeling a bit better,
henri

sal
12-02-06, 22:31
I am on the same meds and it is the second time round for me as after 2 weeks the first time i gave up. Totally appreciate how you are feeling but my advice would be to persevere as they have helped me so much and after trying them and other meds i actually believe they nearly brought me back to myself. It does take time and it does make you feel worse but if like me the benefits are worth the side affects in the first few weeks. Really hope it works out for you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Arclite
13-02-06, 09:41
Thanks for the repies everyone.

I'm feeling a little better today. Not perfect, so I've taken today off work to rest.

I got a better night's sleep last night so that might have helped alittle.

I felt really bad phoning in sick for work again though, I've not done a full week of work since before christmas. Luckly though I have told work exactly what's happening and they have been very supportive.

Meg
13-02-06, 13:26
Arclite

Glad you're resting and looking after yourself

Try to do a bit more around the house etc today

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
13-02-06, 15:24
Glad to hear you are feeling a little better today.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Karen
13-02-06, 18:26
Glad you are feeling better Arclite. It is good to have understanding employers too.

Karen

"I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for in my life you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you."

henri
13-02-06, 19:56
Am so glad you are feeling better x