PDA

View Full Version : One sided headache

dodo
19-06-10, 12:17
Hi all

This is my first post - I was recommended the site by a friend.

I am currently suffering with a pain in my head but it is only on one side and I'm quite concerned about it.

It's happened three times now. The first time I woke with it. It was on the left side, just above my ear, into my temple and felt like someone squeezing the inside of my head. A little while later I started to feel a little dizzy on that side (maybe me just getting anxious) and my face was a little tingly. I started to worry I was having a stroke. Mentioned it to my Dr who dismissed it without checking me over.

A week ago it happened again - just the squeezing pain - and then went after about 10 minutes.

Today it is back, I woke with it again and it is again in the same place and isn't there constantly. It will do it for a couple of seconds, go away for perhaps a few minutes, come back, go away, come back, go away.

I have taken paracetamol but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

So is this something sinister or just tension etc?

I am worried it's either a tumour, an anyerism, or temporal arteritis.

I'm not seeing Dr till Wednesday :(

Peter_Scott
19-06-10, 13:39
Hi,

First as you may or may not know Temporal arthritis, is very rare below the age of 50+ and this gives you a very tender temple, normally swollen and too saw to touch, so I suspect you can rule this out.

An anyerism, you would not be in any fit state to type this or read this post, so I suspect you can rule this out.

Your description sounds a bit like a migraine type headache, most are one sided and are in a temple, and above one eye, there is often a tender point above one eye mid point on the eye brow.

There is a golden rule with head pain, if it is new and continues for more than a few days and does not respond to OTC meds then you should see a doctor.

Peter

Belfry1973
19-06-10, 13:49
Hi dodo

It could be something as simple as 'sleeping funny'. I changed pillows a couple of weeks ago, and nearly every day woke up with a stiff neck and a headache. Make sure you are comfortable in bed, the pillows are supporting your head and neck properly, etc.
I still havent changed back to my old pillows yet and its still happening, but they're definately coming back tonight!

dodo
19-06-10, 22:28
Thanks guys :)

The *pain* went away about lunch time. I did wonder if it was some sort of strain from my neck but couldn't replicate it by moving my head etc in a certain way.

It doesn't affect my eye or come that far onto my face, it's literally just the side of my head about a cm above my ear.