PDA

View Full Version : Xanax..Doctor will not listen! Help.

kellynwv
13-02-06, 20:01
My doctor has had me on xanax for 3 months. I have also gave up smoking, drinking, caffeine, and sugar. I have taken up yoga and working on many other things to reduce my anxiety. I do feel a little dependent on the xanax, I take .5 mg 2 times a day. I called them last week to get my refill and they said no more and that I HAD to try Paxil. I do not want to be on Paxil, I am getting better everyday and I will take myself off the xanax when I am ready. I am so angry that they will not allow me to take a medication that helps me. It's my BODY! I am not a druggie I take it because it helps.

Needless to say I found a new doctor but can't see her until the end of the month. I will be out of xanax before then. I know that you can have bad withdraw from just going off of it, but I do not have much choice. From what I have read online.. it is actually dangerous. I can't believe they did not want me to cut back at first.

I just wanted some opinions on this.

thank you!

florence
14-02-06, 08:24
Hi Kelly

3 months is longer than the recommended period. I agree with you, your doc should have advised you to cut down first at least.
I once stopped benzos suddenly, I certainly made a big mistake there!
I hope that your new doctor will help you with your recovery.
Take care.

Florence.

*** Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. ***

Yvonne
14-02-06, 19:24
Dear Kelly,

I don't think you can just stop taking the Xanax just like that. Your body has become used to it. I cannot believe your doctor. I know you are going to see a new doctor but I do think that you must contact the old doctor and tell him that there is no way you can just stop taking it just like that.

As for Paxil, I am not a big fan because I had a severe withdrawal from Seroxat last year. It does work well for anxiety and depression but a lot of doctors are avoiding the medication now for the reason that it is so difficult to come off.

There are lots of other medications out there other than Paxil that your doctor could give you.

Take care
Yvonne

Y Goble