PDA

View Full Version : Battle

beebutterfly91
21-06-10, 02:26
Hello, I need some help.
I've recently, very badly, taken myself off Citalopram. I was getting so fed up with the terrible nights sleep i was getting and , i know it sounds silly, but mot being able to drink alcohol. Im a social drinker and i love just having a drink with my friends and things (as im only 19) but the citalopram stops that.

First Does anyone have any advice/experiences on Alcohol + Citalopram

and Second, has anyone else come off it suddenly? It's making me feel dreadfull. Dizzy spells, random sweats, nausia, some strange feeling paranoia and generall zoned outness. Being on it made me down and now im down without it! urgh help.

JT69
21-06-10, 07:26
Hi Beebuterfly,

It is not a good idea to stop taking citalopram suddenly...the best way is to taper the dose down very slowly, I had to stop in a week so I could start a new medication and felt terriable for around 3 weeks.

If you can reduce the dose slowly and then you will have minimum withdrawal effects, I have taken it in the past on and off for around 9 years and each time I came off it I found reducing the dose slowly and I mean slowly i.e. if you are on 20mg take 10mg on alternate days to the 20mg for about 2-3 weeks then add more 10mg into the week before reducing to 10mg then after been on 10mg for around 2 weeks slowly reduce down from that until you no longer need it. I used to find if I reduced the dose too quickly I would feel brain zaps so would up slightly again until it stableized at that dose.
Bit complex and I am not a doctor but that is my won personal experience.

Also re: alcohol, I found I was o.k drinking alcohol whilst on cit but only in moderation but I know some people cant.

I hope this all helps.
Take care.
JO.xx