PDA

View Full Version : Please read! Scared and worried! Need some re-assurance

Natalie x
21-06-10, 08:37
Hi. You may have seen my posts about headaches the past few days. As you can tell, I have a phobia of anything to do with my head. Last night, I kept on forgetting things that I had done like 2 seconds before and I couldn't remember what they were. I tried to sit down later and think back, but I was just getting myself confused. I'm not sure if that was just down to the fact that I was trying to hard to think about things. I had a headache for a few days last week and then felt a little sick and dizzy on Friday and now I'm worried that they are all connected to a brain tumor or annyursm. I googled (I know, worst thing I could have done!) and I'm going out of my mind with worry. I'm only 18 - do you think that this is unlikely?

doodah
21-06-10, 09:54
Hiya Natalie,

I think what you're describing is due to anxiety. When my anxiety starts I get exactly the same as you, trying to remember something and not being able to. Then, when I can't remember what I'm trying to remember:blush: this fuels the anxiety and the more I try to think, the more I can't!! I hope this makes sense!! I'm sure you'll find a lot of people here have the same thing.

Take care and try to stay positive - it will pass, I'm sure.

Wendy :hugs:

Natalie x
21-06-10, 10:04
Thanks for your reply Wendy. The thing is, I wasn't feeling anxious at the time, but do you think that it is still possible to get the symptoms even when you don't feel anxious?

doodah
21-06-10, 10:20
You're very welcome Natalie. For me this can happen when I'm not anxious, usually if I'm tired or even very, very busy. Trouble is, once it DOES happen, I think it can trigger my anxiety! Then I get very fed up with myself because it "shouldn't" be happening!! What I've learnt though is when I'm trying so hard to remember something I've forgotten, I try to distract myself and stop trying to remember - easier said than done - but I usually find myself saying out loud "Oh! Of course! That's what I was trying to remember!"

Wendy

PS: I've been replying to a few threads just recently about lots of different symptoms people are getting - I'm thinkin I must be a right old hypochondriac cos I see myself typing "Oh I've had/got that"! Oooerr!!:wacko:

gypsywomen
21-06-10, 10:24
i do but i you dont feel any better always best to have a word with your docter ,, but i am sure its anxiety ,,x

Natalie x
21-06-10, 10:24
Thanks Wendy. Yeah I'm the same - I'm the biggest hypocondriac out! Once I have an idea planted in my head, I can't seem to get it out. You don't think that it would be a brain tumor or an annyursm do you? I'm just worried becuase of all the other symptoms that I had, but you would know if sioemthing was wrogn wouldn't you? My boyfriend keeps telling me that you would be in agony if something was wrong.

doodah
21-06-10, 10:31
Aww Natalie - I really don't think you have a brain tumour but it wouldn't do any harm to see your doctor and explain what's happening with you with your doctor. I'm sure they'll tell you it's "only" anxiety.

I was thinking - I'm 56 now (eeeuuuww) and health anxiety for me didn't happen until quite recently. When I was your age (Gawd! I can't believe I just typed that haha!) there were no TV or radio programs concentrating on health etc. I think we see and hear lots of stuff on TV and in the papers giving detailed symptoms, which is great in some respects - it makes us more aware - but for nervy people it can make us look too deeply into each and every little ache and pain - grrr!!

I'm waffling now:blush: - I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, but if you carry on being scared about your memory etc, why not have a chat with your doctor? They may be able to offer you some talking therapy which could help you.

Stay positive :)

Wendy xx

Natalie x
21-06-10, 11:21
I currently attend CBT every two weeks, and I told my therapist about the headaches and he said that it just sounds like tension headaches and that you would know if something was wrong with you, but somehow I just can't seem to get this out of my head! It's so irritating and can't help thinking that something is wrong!

Electric Blue
21-06-10, 13:12
Hi Natalie,

I'm 24, and my anxiety started back in my teens and I know how you feel.

I too have convinced myself recently I had a brain tumour as I had been suffering headaches for quite a number of days.
Googling is the worst possible thing you can do, I know it's hard to try and stop yourself because you're trying to find something that will convince you that there's actually nothing wrong with you...when in fact not everything you read on google is true...

I was feeling headaches everyday, pressure in my head, behind my nose and eyes...and I felt every twitch and pain imaginable in my head.

I went to see the doctor 4 times, (two different doctors twice) plus I have my eyes tested..

The last doctor I saw I actually told him my exact fear...and he said to me with patients who have brain tumours a doctor will look for localized symptoms such as muscle twitching/ tingling, slurred speech and vision problems.

The only time headaches concerns doctors is when they are waking you up at night
Also, usually pain killers have no effect on headaches associated with brain tumours.

I didn't have any scans done, and well he's the doctor...and if he thought something were wrong he would do what needs to be done to find out.

So it took me a few days, but I accepted more so then not that there was nothing wrong with me...and you know what? The symptoms started to ease and I feel much better....my constant headaches have finally ease and I am feeling fairly much my normal self...

I to was feeling memory loss...like I couldn't remember anything...I felt like I was going absolutely stupid. But when in actual fact my anxiety had taken a hold of me so bad...that I wasn't able to focus on anything...hence why I was forgetting things. But now I feel much better.

Also, sometimes although we do not feel "anxious" your sub-conscious may be thinking about your fears when you actually think you're not...

As my mother has told me many many many times the only way your anxiety symptoms will go away is when you accept 100% that there is nothing wrong with you and this is simply anxiety.

All the best to you, I hope this was of some help.

Cheers,
Electric Blue

sarahsutton
21-06-10, 13:49
hi natalie,
i think that it is something to do with anxiety and that u should tell ur doctor just so he can make sure that it isn't anything more serious.
hope this helps