PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine and sore gums

Gordon64
21-06-10, 21:17
Hi

Apologies if a thread exists already on this but interested if anybody had same experience as me on Mirtazapine. I found it actually eased my depression symtoms quite quickly but couldnt live with a burning sensation in my mouth-gums and teeth felt awful. Am not talking about usual dry mouth which is common with all AD's this was something else entirely. That and a knockout effect unlike any other AD I've ever had (and I've had a few!) unfortunately meant I couldn't continue with it and am now on Citalopram. It's a shame cos it actually has some good properties imo. Any feedback would be useful.

ElizabethJane
21-06-10, 21:40
Dear Gordon I am taking mirtazapine and have not experienced sore gums. I do occasionally get a metalic taste in mouth but usually attribute it to the lithium I also take. When you took your meds did you take them with plenty of water? Burning sensations and soreness can sometimes be attributed to not enough liquid with the tablets. I hope your doctor/psychiatrist made a note of this unusual side effect. I had hallucinations when trying to come off the mirt. My psych said I was the first patient of his to experience this. Take care. I hope the citalopram is suiting you better.

Gordon64
21-06-10, 22:03
Thanks ElizabethJane- your comments are interesting not least because if Citalopram fails (and I'll give it every chance) then going back on Mirtazapine may be an option. Maybe wasn't taking enough water with it but no other AD has affected me with the severity Mirt did. Seem to recall seeing another comment from somebody on another site suffering same symptoms but must admit most people seem to cope ok on it.