PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety ruling my life!

tnt808
14-02-06, 01:11
Hi,
I am new to these boards, and very scared to be writing to you all. I need help. I have an incapacitating fear of flying/and or/cruising, the two being my only option as of now. Being that I live on Hawaii those two are it. 3 yrs. ago my husband, daughter, and I had plane tickets in hand to leave the island. Hubby is in military so we were being stationed somewhere else, I couldn't do it. The fear was so great that I couldn't do it. I was a wreck for 3months even before leaving the island. Not sleeping, eating very little, communicating with anyone wasn't there. Now I am being faced with it again. I went to the military doctors 3 yrs. ago. They were going to let me try cognative therapy although it was so booked that I was left to my own devices. I just wish someone would recognize this as an illness and not a choice. I feel completely alone in this. The thought of me not getting on the airplane or the cruise (yes, we bought a cruise too, just in case) would be devastating to our lives. My husband's military career would be over! I know this is all my fault, but why don't more doctors recognize this as a disease and help!! All I want is to be pointed in the right direction.
Thank you

Forrest
14-02-06, 03:25
Hi and wecome to the board the things you say about planes is a real axiety problem with alot of us!!!Your not alone with this but your chances of having a plane go down are very rare alot of us now days have alot of axiety over planes now since 9-11 when i get on a plane i get the doc to give me somthing to relaxes me!!!Your more of a chance to have problems in a car then you would a plane one thing is to try and work on your fears of things and once you do that there isnt nothing you cant do!!!!I even now get into very small planes now with out any problems!!!

tnt808
14-02-06, 18:23
Nigel,

I am not sure which is more frightening the thought of an airplane or the thought of what could happen on the plane. They seem equally scary. I haven't gone deep into this fear, I haven't had the doctors want to take a moment to allow me. I don't want this anymore, this shouldn't be defining me and yet it's such a huge part of who I am right now.
I just want to be able to talk to someone who allows me to tell my story and then at the end tells me that I am not going mad. It's getting harder on my marriage. My husband's lack of understanding is putting us a world apart. I try to come up with the right words , but I seem to fall short. My children are suffering, and being pregnant this isn't good for my unborn child. I am tired of feeling like I am 2 feet away from falling far.

tnt808
14-02-06, 22:06
A big thanks to those of you who have taken the time to reply. I appreciate the support.
Nigel,
Thank you for your kind words and letting me know that people are here for me.
Thanks,
Tina