PDA

View Full Version : ok here we go......

micheal88
22-06-10, 18:37
Hi people, I have a phobia of medication and can never seem to take more than one anti depressant before i quit them and feel like the side effects are too much and just dont feel ryt.

so for the people in my situation who are petrified of medication im going to record my experience as i go, Some help and support to keep going through the side effects will be grately appreciated.

I have been described 50 mg sertraline, im going to snap them in half for the first few days and take them on the night time. The first one im going to take is tonight.... i am scared that they will send me mad or make me feel weird or ill end up in care or something.. all the worries are going through my mind now but im trying to ignore those thoughts and take my 1st half.....

i shall report back on here tomorow of how im getting on.....

cheers

m

linworth
22-06-10, 18:40
HI micheal,

You will be ok, i know where u are coming from exactly the same myself regarding medication, but here iam five years later after starting sertraline 50mg, dont even give it a second thought now. I know it is easier said than done, but try to relax, distract yourself, good idea to take at night, then go to sleep. Let us know how you have got on (which will be fine by the way?

take care lynne

micheal88
23-06-10, 14:43
cheers for your post lynne.... nice to know opther people got through it..

Day 1

Had a weird sleep felt very confused and weird... today i have the constant yawning sensation and constantly feel sick... dont feel myself and feel a bit weird.. the hot weather isnt helping its just too hot... feel a bit dizzy and quiet horrible.. bad thoughts and anxiety still with me .. mind racing etc.... scared to take the next tablet, i feel like the more i take the further i change from being myself to maybe a zombie or something.. its scaring me but the show must go on... i plan to take the next half tonight just before bed again.... havent eat all day so will try and eat half a sandwich hope the sick feeling passes as the days go by...

cheers

jaded jean
23-06-10, 16:51
Hi Michael88.
You are NOT alone with this. When I was prescribed prozac 11 years ago I thought it was the be all and end all of medication -full stop! I stopped drinking -smoking my social life as I thought this was the wonder drug that would solve every thing
In the past eight months tho I have been tried on 3 different types of A/D;s the first I just took one and said no I cant handle it . the next one was 2 months then a higher dose= 4 months in total. stopped that one didnt think it was working . now on citalopram and that was the clincher - I was back at the doctors within 4 days saying I cant do this any more and was told ...nicely I might add that this is it you have to fight thru it. and I did . it was the highway to hell to quote a phrase but it has started to work -to the degree that I am back at work after 7 months off.Its a sod when you have to bite the bullet and do it as I had always said I cannot take it as I have no control over what it is doing inside my body.
I still dont take any onther meds not even painkillers. just deal with it. thats my way tho.
keep strong and you will get thru it with a little more faith in yourself
Jean:winks:

lucyeast
23-06-10, 22:03
good luck it really does get better it just takes time.
take care and hope you start feeling better soon

micheal88
24-06-10, 16:48
thanks...

Day 2

Had the worst headache throughout the night and day.. and dizzyness.. voices in my head seem quiet a bit more intense like talking and my minds just constantly racing... feel like im not in my body still and just dont feel right.. but still i have been doing a lot of glossing which coulc be adding to this. feel like crap at the minute.. confused and just like a zombie... however im impressed that im into my 2nd day its the furthest ive got lmao.... still having bad images and thoughts they seem a bit more intense now im on the anti depressants... going to take another half tonight.. sick feeling and yawning sensation have calmed down just bad headaches. thanks for the support people...

micheal88
26-06-10, 11:08
Day 3 and 4

still just feel crappy not much improvement sick feeling has left will keep you updated

micheal88
27-06-10, 18:50
Day 5

feel really stressed and cant keep still or sleep. anxiety and bad thoughts at a high.. heats not helping.. i really hope these things start to work

micheal88
28-06-10, 19:13
Day 6

Feel scared and panicky... feel like im in a bad dream.. kinda can feel them working but still feel crap. keeping it up and hoping ill get better

Jem21
28-06-10, 19:59
You will get better, just remember it's still really early days it's only day 6 for you so they will only be just starting to get into your system slightly. You're doing really well to have kept taking them..... keep going you'll get there!

micheal88
01-07-10, 10:37
Day 7 8 9

still no good feel stressed and sick, cant sleep feel horrible. bit heard it takes up to 2 weeks for the side effects to wear off

linworth
01-07-10, 19:32
HI Micheal,

Are u taking anything to help you sleep, because it is awful with no sleep, i had a terrible day yesterday because the night before i couldnt sleep, last night i took something the doctor prescribed ( i am med phobic big time aswell) and had the first proper nights sleep for two months, ok i was awake a 6.30 with knots and panic, but got up, got dressed, took the kids to school and even went shopping, yesterday i was so low, crying all day, quite desperate, could only just get myself in the shower, So i think a good nights sleep will help you a bit, iam going to take my sleeping medicine each night, till i feel my increase of sertraline has kicked in, as i think i deal with my anxiety better on a goods night sleep. Let me know how you get on, also on your still on the 25mg? i am about 5mg away for the 100mg the doc wants me to me on.
take care lynne x

micheal88
04-07-10, 23:05
thanks lyneee. sleep has improved a little now ikm slowly ajusting to them. how are you lynne you setlled on the new dose yet?

Day 10 11 12 13

Slight improvemennt today... still not good but can feel some improvement... i hope it keeps improving like this ...

micheal88
06-07-10, 17:26
Day 14 15

still on a good turn with a few bad points... so basically a bit better but still bad ... will keeo this forum updated

micheal88
07-07-10, 18:24
DAY 16

depression is less just feel like i cant sit still very agitated

linworth
07-07-10, 18:50
Hi micheal,

well day 5 on the full 100mg, sleep, fingers crossed a bit better, but the other night i was twitching all night, which kept me awake. Out and about doing things, but just with this nagging in my head that i am going mad ! and dont feel like me ! Not back at work yet, but really want to, going to try tomorrow. First day on my own in the house today, felt sick this morning, but then got stuck into boring housework and was okish. Having low moods, but not lasting for ever, so fingers crossed i am on my way ..
take care and keep me updated lynne x

micheal88
07-07-10, 23:46
great to hear linne its jus getting from a to b that is the hard part lol. well get there

micheal88
11-07-10, 19:41
DAY 17 18 19

depression feels a bit better still restless and no sleep..

linworth
11-07-10, 20:38
Hi mike

ws wondering how you were getting on, seems like they are working for you, from what i remember sertraline are slower acting, could be wrong, my gp said at least four weeks before i felt better. Well i went to work for a few hours, gave me the lift i needed. Feeling slightly better each day, dont get me wrong, agitation still there and low moods, but not quite as bad. take care lynne xxx

Angelai
11-07-10, 20:43
Great thread, thanks for keeping us updated. You are doing brilliantly :yesyes:

I'm on day 29 so not far ahead of you. It really helps to hear of other peoples experiences.

x

micheal88
14-07-10, 10:40
Cheers.. nice to now your getting better linne, angelai how are your meds going ? were they bad at first?

Day 20 21 22

Well i would like to say before i started these meds i was so scared of them, and trust me the thought of being on meds made me ill... however i dont mind taking them now i dont feel addicted or anything.. i still have my anxiety.. but the depressing feelings when i wake up have dissapeared ... my sleep and stress and restlessness are still bad... but im hoping over time each problem will fade out with the meds...

i might stop taking halves if im still feeling bad in a week or two not sure..

if your starting sertraline keep it up it does get better

twilight
15-07-10, 12:05
Hi micheal it's great to read someone elses experience of this med. I'm on day 6 and considering stopping-see other thread, i feel utterly awful and constantly on edge waiting for something bad to happen and I'm scared :( I'm on 50mg xx

micheal88
15-07-10, 16:26
Hi twighlight im sure my day 6 wasnt that good either but just keepo with it.....

DAY 22

Ocd is still quiet bad anxiety and depression is not as bad today.. could these meds be working i dont no .... will keep taking them and see if i keep improving..

micheal88
17-07-10, 15:37
DAY 23 23

still stressed and feel out of body... kind of fed up and restless.... mind is all over the place... but still just going to chill out and see how i get on... should be working by now..

micheal88
20-07-10, 16:50
DAY 25 26 27 28

anx and depression have lowered but still feel ill all the time and feel so restless my mind is all over the place.... might try taking them whole from tomorow not sure??

linworth
20-07-10, 19:12
Hi michael,

Glad you are still improving. I have been to docs today, after a bad few days. Went back to work last week, but on friday morning (day off) had huge panic attack, where i just couldnt bear myself, its gone downhill from there. Off work again, major panics, cant eat etc.. and very low mood.
BUT, the doctor who has treated me years ago, said i am not as bad as before, i will get better, it peaks and troughs, till it eventually evens out. I have been on the increase for 18 days now which she said is not long enough yet to get the full effect, and as you are not far in front you will be the same. Still got the constant fear, but I KNOW it will fade.
take care x

micheal88
20-07-10, 21:32
great to hear linne.... these meds are given for a reason i supoose

micheal88
22-07-10, 11:17
DAY 29 30 31

Depression still seems to be here... seem to not care o much about anxiety although its still there a bit weird lol.. going to take the tablet full tonight i hope

Thumbelina
22-07-10, 12:07
thats - a very goog thread,
you check your own progress.

with you all the best

micheal88
23-07-10, 14:16
DAY 32

feeling a bit better today... going to take the tab whole tonight wish me luck lol

micheal88
29-07-10, 23:37
DAY 32 33 34

feeling ok ish
taking full tablets from nw

DAY 35 36 37

can feel side effetcs like before but not as bad and im feeling a bit better.. dont want to get my hopes up tho ... but so far so good

micheal88
30-07-10, 18:24
DAY 38

still stressed and feel like im not me... you guys no the feeling.. not sure what to think at the min will keep you updated.. either way the meds are not as scary once ur taking them.. lol

micheal88
01-08-10, 01:27
DAY 39

Feel quiet good today.. bit of a bad start but feel a bit better

micheal88
02-08-10, 00:14
DAY 40

Had another better day... wow dont want to get hopes up yet but well see

micheal88
02-08-10, 19:43
DAY 41

still not sleeping properly.. but feeling much better although still a long way of normal... either way i feel better on meds than when i wasnt on them... so if u arent taking them and you have tried everything else i would take them.. the side effects go

micheal88
04-08-10, 15:32
DAY 42 43

bad couple of days feel crap maybe because me and my girlfriend are splitting up its making it all worse

tinkytink
06-08-10, 22:00
Hi just to say your posts are great and you have helped me, i am on day 5 and feel like a zombie and feeling what's my life about etc but your diary has picked me up. how you feeling now? xx

lalala
10-08-10, 13:37
Sorry to hear about you and your girlfriend, Micheal.

ditzygirl
21-08-10, 16:19
Thanks goodness I'm not alone, now on day 2 and tbh scared. Have done prozac and citalopram before and the first couple of weeks are horrid so let's see what happens with this one.
Feeling a bit spaced out and sick but I am eating little and often - I'd rather be sick on a full stomach than an empty one!!!!! A few bouts of shaking but better if i try and eat a little. Very dry mouth too.... hooo hum the things we do to feel better!!!!

micheal88
25-08-10, 16:32
hi not been on here for a while but im well settled on this medication now... i have improved and if you compare this to my first post i made the right decision.... guys keep at it... im still not great but i have had a few great days and few bad days... i think the bad days may be getting less. this medication definately helps even tho at first it makes you feel crazy and zombie like. good luck guys

Cat80
26-08-10, 14:27
Thanks for this very helpful post, I have just been prescribed 50mg of setraline and am so scared of taking them as I always react badly to meds. I am starting mine Monday night after I have got the bank holiday out of the way. Just hope I can stick it out as pretty scared to start them at the moment

ditzygirl
26-08-10, 16:01
well im on day 7 and still feeling spaced out but have been out today - not easy but I did it. I am not going to let this get the better of me!!!!!!!

Cat80
26-08-10, 16:15
What's the best time of day to take these? My sister had them at night and never had any side effects from them at all. Just not sure what is the best time to take them

ditzygirl
26-08-10, 18:17
I take mine at night too, I'm not sure if this is correct. good luckx

micheal88
27-08-10, 09:40
take at night time before bed.. the first two nights are bad but honestly does get better.. it feels as if the side effects wont go away but they do trust me i dont even think twice about taking them now xx

Cat80
27-08-10, 12:32
Thank you so much Michael. It's the nausea and the extra anxiety that is worrying me as I have this with every SSRI I have tried.

ditzygirl
27-08-10, 16:53
Cat - I am now a week into taking 50mg of setraline, I have tried citralopram and prozac and reacted badly to them and tbh i wasn't hopeful about this one either but desperate times call for desperate measures.
The nausea has subsided, the increase in anxiety is not too bad either. The worst part for me is the sleepiness but am reassured this will improve.
I hope I am not speaking to soon but so far I am quite positive about this drug!!!!
Good luck and let us know how you go.x

Cat80
28-08-10, 17:42
Thanks ditzygirl. I am starting taking mine in 2 weeks as I have an event to go to 2 weeks today so Dr said I can just start them after that. So scared but going to give them ago. Please keep us update with how they are working for you and so glad your side effects are easing already. Can I just ask if you have been sick on them or just felt a bit queasy?

ditzygirl
30-08-10, 12:07
I haven't been sick but the feeling was pretty strong, I have been trying to eat little and often and this seems to be helping.

I was expecting a rough 2-4 weeks but so far its not been nearly as bad as the other drugs I have used.

Fingers crossed it keeps improvingxx

Cat80
31-08-10, 10:22
Thanks ditzygirl.

Not sure if I can cope with the feeling I am going to be sick all the time as that is one of my triggers of panic. Just don't know what to do :(

micheal88
05-09-10, 09:53
i no the feeling i have tried them all and i just cant take it its like they send me mad.. i think snapping them eased me into it... it is horrible tho starting them and you keep putting the start date of etc xx

Jebdog
05-09-10, 15:41
How are things going for you now michael88? Do you feel like the seralatine has helped?

micheal88
06-09-10, 11:36
yes definately. i doubt i would be here now... its still not nice knowing your on medication and im still ill. but it is easier im doing things i never thought i could.. it does have downsides at the first but they fazed out.. i may have to up them soon to see if that helps me more..

ditzygirl
06-09-10, 16:28
Sertraline is defo working for me, I only been taking 2.5 weeks and feel so much better already. I am forcing myself to go for long brisk walks too to try and help. Three weeks ago I didn't want to leave the house so this a a big improvement. i am still having wobbly moments but I am going to persevere and see how I go.... watch this space!!!!

micheal88
07-09-10, 10:37
well done thats great to hear what mg are you on

ditzygirl
07-09-10, 15:59
I'm taking 50mg and am hoping not to up it but I do want my life back so I am going to see how the next couple of weeks go and then disguss with GP.

I even forced myself into shops today which has been a problem for a while - it was ok but I am kicking myself for not getting help sooner!!!!!!!

micheal88
14-09-10, 00:54
well done. were all in this boat together. lets all keep this forum up to date with our progress.

i am now staying on my own and going out alot more the depression and ocd have improved although in still have bad days.... i may get my life back im not sure but more hopefull than ever at the minute

MidnightCalm
14-09-10, 12:51
How long do the side effects take to lift?
I'm experiencing really bad headaches and nausea, I get hot sweats and a burning feeling sometimes and my muscles are hurting, I just feel awful :( I'm going to be taking my 4th soon. I halved my 50mg to 25mg but it's not really making the side effects any more bearable.

MidnightCalm
14-09-10, 13:05
and I've had a bad stomach :/ I usually have an off one but it's been worse. Is this to be expected?

micheal88
20-09-10, 14:45
well im no doc but i felt like i was dying it was painfull hedaches and dizzyness confusion etc... but feeling alot better now just got to get through them mate

kanga
21-09-10, 16:49
Hi

Just been reading through this thread as I'm new to NMP and also on Sertraline. I'm on 200mg which is apparently the highest dose they give of this! I don't remember having the side effects you're all describing but then I've been on and off various tablets for ten years now. This is definitely the best for me but maybe my body/mind is too used to it as I'm having anxious moments (but not as bad as without the tablets/lower dose of them).

I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably spend the rest of my life on anti-depressants and just compare it to people who have to take meds for high blood pressure or other physical ailments. It just annoys me that I have to spend £7 odd every 4 weeks for the priviledge of being mentally unstable! Oh well.

Hope you all get to a point of stability and balance soon - thinking of us all.

Kanga x

unspoken
21-09-10, 21:29
Hi Kanga. Do you ever get any other medications prescribed? If you do, get a Prescription Prepayment Certificate. If you get more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months or more than 14 in 12 months, it works out cheaper. I refer to it as my 'loyalty card' and getting a minimum of 4 prescriptions a month, it works out as very good value. You can buy them online.

Or move to Wales - prescriptions are free there :winks:

I'm on Sertraline 100mg and I think it helps me but I still suffer some anxiety and depression. I think I am better off for taking it though.

kanga
22-09-10, 09:23
Hi Unspoken

Luckily I don't have any other meds to pay for so the prepayment card isn't cheaper for me - thanks for thinking of me though. Kanga x

Cat80
23-09-10, 13:12
I have just started 50mg this morning. Took my first tablet 4 hours ago and apart from slightly queasy and a bit woozy doing ok. Just don't know if I am doing the right thing in taking though because I all I keep thinking about is the horror of having to stop them as I know withdrawals are terrible.

MidnightCalm
23-09-10, 13:56
Starting at 50 was too much for me had to halve them, might go up to full, you're lucky your side effects are minimal x

x-amyb-x
24-09-10, 10:21
Ok so ive been prescribed 50mg of sertraline, took my first one about an hour ago, now im worrying after reading everyone elses side effects.

My anxiety is usually worse when i go out but now im feeling really anxious in the house, but im panicking after taking these tablets, im just sitting here waiting for side effects to kick in.

My ears keep ringing will this be a side effect?

and will i have withdrawel symptoms if i stop taking them after one day? Im starting CBT so i dont know whether to see if that will help me so i dont need meds and just take propranolol.

Im just worrying that these tablets will make me worse, even though i struggle with anxiety I was coping, so i dont want these tablets to make me worse and put me back to square one.

I know all this probably doesnt make sense I just wanted to get all my worries out, so any advice would be great :)

Cat80
24-09-10, 11:02
x-amyb-x I was the same as you, trying to cope alone with my anxiety etc but I tried so many things and was told the best combination was tablets and talking therapy.

Side effects can be scary but they do go and Setraline is supposed to be one of the best meds out there for helping with depression and anxiety. You will get through the side effects and then within a month or so feel more relaxed and cope better.

I took tablet 2 just about 2 hours ago and so far again feel ok, just really tired but I know that's normal. I was going to take my meds at night as I know side effects aren't always as bad but I don't want it to stop me sleeping as I don't sleep well anyway so taking them in the morning with a hearty breakfast of porridge as I know taking with a large meal helps the side effects not be as bad

x-amyb-x
24-09-10, 11:31
Thanks, its good to know others are in the same situation. I might try eating something actually as i feel a bit nauceous so it might make that go away. I feel a bit spaced out and woozy, its not awful but still not pleasant. Im hoping it wont last all day though.

I suppose I should persevere with them and see how I go because i do need to get over my anxiety and this might be the only way.

Please keep me updated with how you are finding your side effects and things :)

Cat80
24-09-10, 11:59
I will do amy.

I take mine every morning with a big breakfast, I rarely eat breakfast but am making myself eat porridge or cereal as milk is good for calming your tummy so am hoping it stops me feeling queasy. So far so good.

I've been struggling with anxiety for almost 4 years (probably more but only diagnosed 4 years) and have tried various meds with no effect other than horrific side effects from the very first dose. I am on dose 2 now and so far just woozinesss and a bit queasy here and there. I have read sertraline is great for anxiety and depression and 50mg is a good dose to start on so hopefully it will work for us and we can get through this

x-amyb-x
24-09-10, 17:42
I dont think I will be able to continue to take these tomorrow. I have never felt so odd and nauseous in my whole life. I feel awful. I never get side effects with any medication so i dont know if im panicking over nothing, but i just feel so ill and i can stand the thought of feeling like this for ages.
Silly anxiety!

x-amyb-x
25-09-10, 09:46
I dont think im going to take sertraline anymore, even after one day i know its stupid but i really cant stand the thought of feeling like i did yesterday. im in a dilemma, what does anyone think i should do, the side effects were just totally awful for me.

Cat80
25-09-10, 16:44
The side effects will be bad when first starting but once you get through them after a couple of weeks you should start feeling better and more relaxed. All medications have start up side effects but once you get through them you will feel so much better

unspoken
25-09-10, 22:06
Some of the side effects can be psychosomatic. Like you are anxious about the side effects you've read about in the leaflet, so the anxiety causes you to feel sick, panicky, dizzy etc. Try to stick with them for at least a week.

micheal88
01-10-10, 15:27
amy just look at my day to day diary and follow it..... trust me tht feeling does go i had it it is horrible but now i feel alot better..

MidnightCalm
01-10-10, 16:13
are you still on 50mg?

Cat80
05-10-10, 16:00
I stopped mine as I spent 4 days of barely eating as I felt that sick and couldn't sleep at all

pretoria
05-11-10, 13:11
Hi guys

My name is Nathan, I was prescribed Sertraline a couple of days ago to help with anxiety, a little depression and quite bad OCD. I have been on Seroxat (paroxetine) before and every time I went on them again the side effects got worse. I was prescribed Seroxat at 13 years old for bad panick attacks, which looking back now was such a harsh drug to prescribe me at that age. I have just taken my 2nd tablet this morning, was prescribed 50mg but snapped the tablet in half as with Michael and a few others on here a combination of a phobia of taking medication and previous bad experiences with ssri's have left me over cautious.

1st Night:

Well compared to Seroxat (and considering I halved the dose to sub-theraputic dose) Sertraline seams to make me feel less sick. Though the spaced out feeling, anxiety and weird head is there. Last night I had a panick attack which felt like lot's of shouting in my head and weird sensations. The yawning I find kind of annoying. Seem to yawn a couple more times than I normaly would and seem to get weird spasm feeling in my chest and forearms and my legs would go a bit weak, anyone else get this?

Thanks xx

fairyqueen
14-11-10, 10:15
Hi nathan - I'm on day 11 of Setraline and feeling anxious and out of it. Like you I had tried Prozac previously and it just does not suit me. So this is my 2nd time on Setraline - it worked well the last time but I dont remember the side effects being this bad - or maybe its just the anxiety and depression that are bad and I'm blaming the meds???! Anyhoo - I am having muscle spasms too - I have restless legs - especially at night and tend to kick a lot - so DH tells me! :blush:
I feel quite sick aswell but am glad my appetite is reduced cos I was comfort eating prior to starting the meds! How are you feeling today?

micheal88
04-02-12, 19:02
Quick update~~

Still on 50 mg.. Not perfect but I am starting work for the first time in 3 years in 2 days. I have started a diary for that in the general anxiety section if you are interested.

Good luck all and healthy thinking