PDA

View Full Version : new and need help! :-)

irishjenny
22-06-10, 21:14
hi all...am new on here...short version!
suffer from panic attacks, but only every couple of months. feeling a bit lost and down recently, and things seem to be geting worse..when i try to sleep i tend to drift off and then wake up trembling and incredibly anxious. this has been getting worse and worse. I seem to get through work during the day ok,but in the evenings feeling very down, lethargic and anxious. could not face leaving the huse yesterday so thought time to see the doc!
anyway - he has referred me to counselling, which i think will probably help. but he also prescribed mirtazapine which he said was a mild antidepressant that had a sedative effect. having looked it up on the net, i am a little scared to be honest!! do you think this is the right thing to do? dont want to be tired and hallucinating all the time! I just feel really confused...i think i am mildly depressed but...help!!
J xx

Gordon64
22-06-10, 21:26
Jenny

I'm probably going to muddy the waters further but I was on Mirtazapine for a while so here goes (from my experience)

PROS-You'll get a good night's sleep-15mg and you'll sleep like a baby

Quite quick to act-they worked on my symptoms quicker than any other AD I've tried.

They do help with that horrible nervy morning feeling you describe

CONS- Lethargy is even more pronounced with these than others

I experienced sore mouth/gums with them (many folk don't)

They are a powerful sedative so if you're working it can be a problem

The truth is (as you'll see from the medication forum) is that lots of people have no problems with them and they do help

Unfortunately all AD's have advocates and doubters in equal measure-it really is a case of taking a measured decision.

I don't know if this helps but you'll see on the Mirt forum that Elizabeth Jane has been on them for a while-might be worth getting her feedback?

Good luck-everyone here is really supportive-it's a great site.

irishjenny
22-06-10, 21:40
thansk gordon. i think i might start trying to help myslef before taking them - ie cutting down on alcohol/coffee/cigarettes, going for walks in the evening, having long baths etc....and take it from there.
J xx

Gordon64
22-06-10, 21:45
All good things to be doing Jenny-I know it's boring but alcohol and AD's together really not a great idea. Personally I find a good walk really helps too. PS-I'm not trying to come across like a schoolteacher re the drink-I drank like the proverbial fish for many years but eventually knocked it on the head due to depression.

Anyway good luck and hope you get some respite

G

Baggs
22-06-10, 22:04
Mirtazapine worked for me and it was magic. All the best. Baggs.

lynn1960
22-06-10, 22:09
mirtazpine worked for me never felt better

ElizabethJane
22-06-10, 22:40
:welcome:Hi irish Jenny and welcome. I dont think that I would describe mirtazapine as a mild anti depressant! If your doctor thinks that you would benefit from taking it then I would certainly give it a try. As Gordon says the lower doses are the most sedating and you should begin to sleep well. As with all anti ds you need to give it time time for your body to get used to the drug and time for it to begin to work. You probably will experience side effects in the first few weeks but there are benefits. You depression will lift and that tearful anxious feeling will go. I would avoid alcohol in the first few weeks of starting the medication. These days and I'm on 45mg mirtazapine I have a glass of wine occasionally. Take care and let us know how you get on. EJ.

irishjenny
22-06-10, 22:50
thanks all....no alcohol scares me lol....been using it as a crutch! will see how i sleep tonight and keep you all posted!
Jenny x

JT69
23-06-10, 08:58
Hi Jenny,

I am too on mirtazipine, 30mg at present for around 4 months. It got me back to work after having 5 months off sick with depression/anxiety. Yes at first I had the tiredness and very drowsy but after a couple of weeks that does go, as far as other side effects go, weight gain can be a problem but then it can with most AD's!! It has far fewer side effects than SRR's.

I agree with Eliabeth-Jane I would not describe it as a mild anti-depressant, just a different type as most people do get prescribed srr's initially but they can give some pretty awful side effects when first taking them.

We are all different though.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care.
Jo.xx