PDA

View Full Version : Eureka....I think I've cracked this anxiety thing.

Dafyddjohndavies
24-06-10, 11:08
Hi all,

If any of you have read my hyperventilation syndrome thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35632) you will have already seen that i've been trying to sort out my issues objectively for the past year.

Background

I've been going through anxiety and panic problems for a long time and have had a lot of problems with breathing / Hyperventilation Syndrome. Since seeing a CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) therapist I have been documenting all my breakthroughs and failures in a diary, and have finally come to a point where I feel I have figured this/my anxiety issue out.

Now to get to where I am at the moment, you should first get to the point where you accept that you have anxiety, and not some other disease, or heart syndrome etc. If your still questioning whether it's something more serious you have not accepted, it's time to go see a CBT therapist and sort out your thought patterns first.

If your usnsure whether you have anxiety then check here and check out the multitude of symptoms:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

What's the eureka moment?

I've been noticing patterns over the last year and trying to figure out why I feel ok sometimes and shit the other times. For example when I feel good generally (used to feel bad all the time, CBT helped 200 fold), I get to a point where I think... "Wow I feel great, I wonder how long this will last..." then the second I think it, the horrible breathing patterns return, and I return to a very depressed and down person who is cut away from the world. I could never understand what I was doing right at the time of feeling great and then struggle to try to figure it out.

I also noticed that when I eat food my breathing seems to regulate itself and again I feel better for a little bit until I stop eating. I also feel pretty good when I'm concentrating on something and not really thinking about my breathing. There were loads of patterns that after a few months of documenting each issue I could see what was affecting me.

I noticed that when I eat I am forced to breathe through my nose and my breathing regulated.. when concentrating I breathe through my nose, when I feel bad I breathe through my mouth. I also noticed that the process of smoking forced me to breathe through my mouth and I believe that's is what started this all off.

Mouth breathing is such a major problem and I had no idea. People give you all this advice and all these different directions and all you need to do is breathe through you nose.

If you look at the symptoms you get from mouth breathing you may notice that all of the things listed apply to you:

- Unexplained anxiety
- Trouble with sleep, concentration
- Constant yawning/sighing, sneezing
- Dry mouth and throat
- Bad breath
- Pressure headaches
- Noisy breathing
- Muscle pain, general fatigue
- Increased mucus production

Now I've been trying to focus on breathing through my nose and it's difficult to get used to. If you want to check whether you breathe through your nose or mouth then just put a hand over your mouth tightly and see if you get the urge to pull your hand away and breathe through your mouth... I bet a lot of you will not be able to do it.

I'm not going to lie to you, doing this is difficult and does not feel pleasant to begin with, but stick with it until you body get's used to it. When you start breathing through your nose your breathing will increase as you anxiety levels increase.. this is because you feel like your suffocating, but your not.

Fight through the horrible feelings and know that this is good for you. When you start getting used to it you need to slowly slow your breathing so that you get to a point where you can hear your in breath. This takes time and patience so just stick with it. You should start feeling the effects of feeling very relaxed and happy as soon as you slow the breathing down enough.

To get used to this nose breathing you should put your tongue to the roof of your mouth to stop air coming in through your mouth:

Like in this diagram
http://www.liptrainer.com/images/oral04_01.gifhttp://www.liptrainer.com/images/oral04_02.gif

I've been doing this for 3 days now and I feel 90% better, I'm in the process of slowing down my breathing so that I'm calm and peacful. It has taken time and anxiety is still an issue but it's and issue that seems to be diminishing.

I'm looking into the buteyko (http://www.buteyko.co.uk/) method soon, and will be following their guidance so I will update this thread again if anything positive comes from it.

Hope you all try this because I think it might be the cure. Don't expect it to be a magic cure however because they don't exist, this takes time to fix.. I've been on this journey of trying to heal myself for the past 2 years and talk to anyone who knows me and they will say I seem 200% better than I was prior to it, but I'm still not at my desired place just yet.

Let me know what you think,

Dafydd x

gypsywomen
24-06-10, 11:27
sounds good will give it a try great post

MidnightCalm
24-06-10, 12:28
I have always breathed through my nose, sometimes I have no choice but to breathe through my mouth because of Hayfever and a blocked nose. I know this won't make a difference for me.

Vixxy
24-06-10, 14:49
Same I breathe through my nose. Whenever I get a cold or blocked nose I find my anxiety goes up as I just cant seem to breathe properly through my mouth XD
My problem is youre supposed to breathe out of your mouth, whereas I dont do that. Not sure if itsa problem or not.
I have to say though, i never hyperventilate. I tend to stop breathing.
I did read somewhere that people who have panic attacks breathe too fast and people with anxiety tend to hold their breath.

Anxious_gal
24-06-10, 15:45
I wonder though when I panic if I start breathing through my mouth?
just after having a mini panic attack on the train yesterday, my hands went numb, a clear sign I was over breathing, I just wonder if maybe I was hyperventilating without realizing it?

Dafyddjohndavies
24-06-10, 15:56
I wonder though when I panic if I start breathing through my mouth?
just after having a mini panic attack on the train yesterday, my hands went numb, a clear sign I was over breathing, I just wonder if maybe I was hyperventilating without realizing it?

I put £100.00 on it that you do.

You can never get a deep enough breath when breathing through your mouth, and that tends to intensify anxiety into panic (in my experience).

supersezza
24-06-10, 16:14
I found in through the nose and out through the mouth helps me calm down...7/11 breathing is good, as in 'in' for 7 through the nose and out for 11 through the mouth...do it for 15 mins and see the difference!!

Dafyddjohndavies
24-06-10, 16:18
I found in through the nose and out through the mouth helps me calm down...7/11 breathing is good, as in 'in' for 7 through the nose and out for 11 through the mouth...do it for 15 mins and see the difference!!

I started off with all the 7/11 and in and out through the mouth and I found in an anxious state it used to make me feel worse. So I now purely breathe in and out through my nose, and instead of trying to 7/11 I just hold on the out breath for as long as is comfortable and hold on the inbreath. It's much easier and requires little effort and seems to work well.

StoneMonkey
24-06-10, 16:56
Hi Dafydd,

Good positive post. Racdun (Rachael) recomended on a thread of mine "Close your mouth" by Patrick Mckeown which is the Buteyko technique.
Nose breathing is the way to go but it is also reprogramming the brain to accept less oxygen.
It features a "Control Pause" which is how long you can last after an out breath before breathing in again. Healthy is 40 to 60 seconds. The first time I tried it I lasted 9 seconds before I freaked and my brain thought I was suffocating.
Getting the carbon dioxide levels as they should be should relieve a lot of symptoms.
The thing that really appeals to me about this is that if you can chart the 20 minute a day exercises to monitor improvement.

I have never been one to take my pulse but under these exercises you take it before and after. The first time I tried it my pulse was 94 per minute before and 78 afterwards. Ok perhaps you could get the same effect from 20 minutes relaxation or meditation but that has got to be a good gauge of a positive effect.

AmieeKid also offered some good exercises. When I am watching TV now I nose breathe and alternate blocking off one nostril. This really reduces the intake (more retraining).
Something else i wasn't aware of was that one nostril always appears more blocked than the other. According to the book it changes sides regularly I was quite suprised to find it did with me.

I think retraining will take a long time and a lot of commitment but i am glad to have something real to work on. This may not be the whole answer but it can only help to regain control of the breathing and carbon monoxide levels.

Thanks for sharing.
Simon.

Dafyddjohndavies
24-06-10, 17:11
ecomended on a thread of mine "Close your mouth" by Patrick Mckeown which is the Buteyko technique.

Just bought that.. thanks :)

I've also just booked myself on a Buteyko course in July... Not sure how much it will cost me yet but it's something I think is going to help.

I will document the weekend for those that are interested.

Thanks for the message simon,

Regards,

Daf

StoneMonkey
24-06-10, 18:16
Hey daf,

Rachael said that the course would be the best way to go to get the full benefit. Im still too chicken for that so its down to you and I would love to know how you find it.

I only got the book two weeks ago so am exploring. The way I disiplined myself to do the exercises was to put the worksheet onto the computer along with a stopwatch and go into headphone mode with some chilled music.

I really think you are onto something. This is my highest rated recovery technique along with exercise.

Simon.

Dafyddjohndavies
24-06-10, 22:33
Hey daf,

Rachael said that the course would be the best way to go to get the full benefit. Im still too chicken for that so its down to you and I would love to know how you find it.

I only got the book two weeks ago so am exploring. The way I disiplined myself to do the exercises was to put the worksheet onto the computer along with a stopwatch and go into headphone mode with some chilled music.

I really think you are onto something. This is my highest rated recovery technique along with exercise.

Simon.

£390.00....uh... think i'll stick with a book!!