PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

Kaz
28-07-03, 09:24
Since the physical effects of stress having been coming out on me in the way of panic attacks and general anxiety, I have found I am more sensitive to alcohol. I had come to rely on a glass of wine to relax me and it had become a habit, now I find it affects me so bad the next day and my attacks are more frequent. I have given up drinking but still feel I need a "crutch". Has anyone else felt the same and found a solution? I don't smoke.[xx(]

love'n'stuff
Karen

Shelley
28-07-03, 10:38
Hi Karen,

I think everyone will agree with me that the day after a few drinks we all feel more susceptible to panic, try taking the Mega B complex vitamins they're good for the nervous system and I have seen a marked improvement since taking them - also drink plenty of water before going to bed and when you wake up.

x

Shell

nomorepanic
28-07-03, 14:43
I also use alcohol to relax me and help me fall asleep and I know it is bad to do this.

I used to drink to see whether the panic went when I was relaxed. If it did then it re-assured me that I was only suffering from Panic and nothing else.

Yes panic gets worse the more you drink and a hangover can make me panic too!

We can all try to give it up but I think in moderation it is ok. Just try not to rely on alcohol to get through the day and the panics.

I should try the mega B complex vitamins as well ! Thanks for the info Shell.

Nicola

Kaz
28-07-03, 14:53
Thanks for your replies - I will definately try the vitamins. I have a cabinet full that rarely get looked at but I'll to get into the habit of looking after myself again.

I'm feeling quite shakey this afternoon. My daughter and I have been toying with the idea of getting a cat. I feel if it is an affectionate one then it would help to reduce anxiety whilst stroking it. So we headed out to the local cattery but unfortunately I had to stop driving several times because I felt so light headed and panicky. Then of course we had the drive home again as well. I hate the thought of losing my independence by not being able to drive far so I'm determined to not let this beat me.

love'n'stuff
Karen

Shelley
28-07-03, 15:37
Karen

Keep up the driving, I stopped for nearly two years and have just started again..small journeys with someone in the car...keep at the driving, just make sure that you are mentally and physically able/perpared when you get in that car!

x

Shell

Joanne
06-08-03, 02:28
I rely on booze! It helps me fall asleep...and feel more relaxed.
I know it's not the ultimate 'answer'.... but it's a quick fix. That's socially acceptable too!
When I move into my new house in a few weeks- I am going to knock it on the head! Hopefully with the help of you folk in the chat room! You can all send me to bed at 12.....feeling confident!
Good Luck, Kaz. I know how u feel
Joanne xx

nomorepanic
13-08-03, 20:12
I think alcohol effects different people differently and a small glass is not a problem. I like to drink to relax me too and help me sleep but you do need to ask yourself whether you are drinking just to relax you and get you to sleep?

Treat alcohol with the respect it deserves and don't overdo it cos I know that a hangover is good fuel for a Panic attack and then you feel even worse!!

Take care all

Nicola

Steph
15-08-03, 15:27
Hello
I haven't been on here for over a week because the other week I went to see Robbie Williams in concert and I felt that I needed to have a good drink, as I was kinda worried about having a PA there as there was going to be a lot of people there etc... SO I got drunk and the next day I was felling very hungover --- in fact (this has happened before) I was being sick and then I passed out hit my head on the radiator and smashed my eye on the thermostat below... ended up in hospital had a neck brace on and stitches in my head!!! I wonder if this happens to any of you when your feeling sick, is this another symptom of PA's??
Anyway im all better now and back at work!!!
I am now very worried about drinking again I must say...

stephx
[xx(]

SD

Shelley
15-08-03, 15:33
Steph

I can only speak for myself and I have never passed out after a hangover - I would go and see your doctor - I personally dont think it's panic attack related.

hope you're feeling better - drink in moderation.

Ive just been told that Milk Thistle (if taken before a sesh) really helps with hangovers - holding a bit of a social experiment this evening will let you know if it works!!

x Shell

Shell

Meg
15-08-03, 16:42
Hi Steph,

Highly unlikely to be PA related.

Some people when they pray to the ceramic God, forget to take big breaths, which can lead to lightheadedness and faintness, there is also a slight % of people who affect their vaso-vagal nerve when they forward bend to vomit which in turn can lead to passing out.

It's always best when needing to throw up to get your body as low as possible- less distance to travel against gravity..

Milk thistle is a liver detoxicant so will help with alcohol 'digestion' which is why it's good to take pre binging as is some Vit C.

Glad to hear you're ok now. It's not the alcohol but the quantities !!

Joanne
15-08-03, 22:48
I take 3 milk thistle capsules per day. However- I can't say there is any noticeable difference. It may be helping internally- so I'll carry on taking them.
p.s....It took me ages to find vegetarian M.T capsules, Holland+B did eventually.

Joanne x

bishop
17-08-03, 20:55
if i have a couple of drinks i start to fall asleep,so when i cant sleep i ll have a tipple just too drop of to sleep quicker.
bish

Steph
19-08-03, 12:08
Thanks thought it might not be related but it's worth asking hey?
I will go out and buy some of these tablets today too...
Radar yeah I do tend to kneel on the floor most of the time coz I have experienced this a few times - it also don't matter how much I drink the night b4 sometimes I can only have a couple and have a hangover and then pass out the next day!
I have been to the doctors and I do have an appointment at the neurologist but it's when I’m on holiday so suppose I'll have to wait another 6 months now for another appt!!

By the way I still haven't had the appointment for the counsellor (via GP) its been a good month now, how long would you say is the norm to wait anyone????

Shell how did the experiment go?
steph x

SD

Shelley
26-08-03, 12:45
Steph

Experiment was okay...did feel a bit better but was only drinking G&T which usually doesnt give me a hangover - I've been waiting for nearly 6 months.

x

Shell

Steph
29-08-03, 13:42
Shelley

So you have been waiting for 6 months to see someone or waiting six months to get drunk ha ha !!
No seriously 6 months that is a very long time isn't it surly that can't be right??
You know what I haven't had a PA since the begining of July is that the norm can they go away for months and then come back when you least expect ??? Im off to USA next week so am hoping everything will be fine - bit worried about the plane journey even though I have never had a problem with flying before now! Any ideas on what to take or do for the journey?
x

SD

bishop
17-09-03, 17:44
hi steph

well done,i also was PA free for two years,then they started again in august last year,i also thought well thats the finish, but guess what they came back,boo hoo ,well must dwell in the past,as the song say things can only get better.
bish

vengababe2003
25-09-03, 14:06
Hi I'm new to this group,I used alcohol as a crutch too, but it got out of hand, I relied on it too much, and it became a serious problem for me, I couldn't stop at one drink I had to have more, which led to feeling more edgy the next day, so I had to have another drink, eventually after spending a few times being rushed to hospital, I new alcohol was not the answer to help the panic, I still think about it if I feel panicky, but try to do something to take my mind of it.
Venga

bishop
25-09-03, 15:06
hi venga
no alcohol is not the answer but when you have had a really bad day if you are like me you say sod it,if it gives me a good nights sleep it helps
bish

jimmy_blue
26-09-03, 10:57
I'm new to this group also. I started using alcohol as a way to surpress my social anxiety when I was very young (9 years old). By the time I hit 25 I was drinking like a fish and using drugs to try and enhance the relaxing effect. In my view, drinking alcohol to change the way you feel or adjust your emmotions is rarely a good thing. For me it was step one on the rocky road to dependancy. Like many people have said regarding this topic, hangovers have taken on a whole new meaning!! These days if I over indulge, the next 2 days seem like one long anxiety attack.

Jimmy Blue

Meg
26-09-03, 12:06
Alcohol is a popular and easily available 'sticking plaster' treatment for this level of anxiety.

It is also a potential disaster. It promises much initially, but is always a disappointment later. From a psychiatric point of view - It is a DEPRESSANT drug.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Shelley
03-10-03, 11:12
Hi Bish

It's actually been nearly nine months all in all waiting to seen someone - was told by my doctor it could be up to 18 months - I have had the assessment, that was back in April which concluded that I did need help and was suffering from panic / actue anxiety (at the time I was quite bad, had taken myself of meds - over a period of time of course) - in the meantime, I have paid out for hynotherapy and lots of vitamins which have helped me so much. Just a quick point about the milk thistle, they are my new best friend, if i take to of the high stregth the night before and the day after I'm more or less 100%xx

x

Shell

lea
10-10-03, 21:34
hi Kelly,
if u feel u can't stop drinking, that u drink 2 much and that when u don't drink u shake and sweat; it means that u r physically dependant to alcohol. In this case, u should go to a Center for Alcoholics to get a medical, social and psychological exam and then u will set a therapeutical project.
Wish u all the best

diana
11-10-03, 01:49
:(Hello all, I also stopped having PA`s for 5 years, guess what? Now they r bac. I`m not sure why, but I am working on them. I recently started taking Kava Kava. It really seems to work, I mean it really does relax me. Has anyone tried this herb, if so what was your experience? I do not drink or smoke, so I am trying all of these natural cures.

Meg
11-10-03, 18:37
Hi Scared ,

Kava Kava is a brilliant herb for anxiety.
It has currently been pulled off the market in the EU and I think Canada, pending further investigation into 3 serious adverse effects

As the herb is not medically prescribed or monitored there is no standard reporting procedures for when things go amiss. There are many anecdotal suggestions that the incidents may not have anything to do with kava kava at all but be alcohol related instead as all the incidents had liver involvement.

It's not yet been reviewed formally.

Glad it works for you as it has done for many many thousands of people before you but just do be aware of the concerns.

As for your panic attacks - what change has either happened or is just around the corner in your life ?

Well done for geting straight in there and working on them.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...