PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a Newbie

angelvickie
14-02-06, 17:05
Hi All,

I became a member in 2004 but havent been able to get on here for a while & never got to post before.

I might aswell start off with my story...so from the beginning....

On the 24th August 2001, I was travelling in my (now ex) partners car on my way to great yarmouth on holiday (Im from kent, so was about a 3hour drive). My friends were travelling in the car behind us and about 15-20minutes away from where we were staying....we were involved in a car accident...our car ending up being the one stuck in between my friends car (who were behind us) and the car in front.

I wont go into too much detail of the next few days but...I ended up in hospital and managed to finally get home to Kent on the Monday (the accident happened on the friday). For about 6months after the accident....I began having panic attacks and suffering anxiety in any car that I would go in, but not knowing what was going on, I tried ignoring it, hoping it would go away. This ended up with me splitting from my partner and left not knowing what was happening to me.

To cut a very long story short, I was diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety disorder and depression finally in 2003...after a good few trips to the doctors (who told me I would be fine everytime I went and not to worry)

I have good days and bad days and over the last 3 years, since I was diagnosed, the good days have been out numbering the bad days (with a few re-lapse's in between).

At the moment I have re-lapsed and worse than any time before. I find it difficult to leave the village that I live in when its at its worst and over the last year have only managed a few longer journeys. I start to worry before I leave the house about the journey that I am going to take, or if i know the journey I am going to take, I try planning stops for me. Hence, I know every pot hole and sign in a 2mile radius where the roads are so clear in my head. I suffer from panic attacks in the car, these start off by my legs becoming numb and i start feeling hot and shaky and just want to get back to my house (safety zone).

As soon as I turn round and know I am heading home again I start to feel a bit better. Because my house is my safety zone..I have slight agoraphobia aswell now. 2 weeks after the accident happened, I had my driving test booked, which I didnt take. So last year, 6th January 2005, I managed to take my test & pass (Looking back...god knows how I managed it), after having alot of help from a very understanding driving instructor.

So nearly five years on after the accident, I feel that I am no better, but everybody is always telling me I am getting there. Its just a very slow and very hard process on the road to recovery.

I can relate alot to nicolas personal story and sat crying for 10minutes after I read it, just to know that I am not the only one who has and is going through it (as it is very lonely...especially when no-one else can understand...as you all probably know.

Anywayz....think thats all for now

Ty for taking the time to read my introduction :)

Vickie xx

Karen
14-02-06, 19:18
Hi Vickie

Welcome back to the forum.

Have you had any therapy to help with this?

Karen

"I love you in a place where there's no space or time
I love you for in my life you are a friend of mine
And when my life is over remember when we were together
We were alone and I was singing this song for you."

angelvickie
14-02-06, 19:46
hi & ty,

I had to go and see a therapist to be diagnosed for my solicitor. They advised me to go to cognitive behavioural therapy but my doctors wont help so I've been looking it up on the internet.

So far all I've done to try and help is counselling (which didnt really help me too much), hypnotherapy (which didnt have any real effect) and the main thing I try doing is going out for drives with people and on my own, trying to go a bit further each time.

I have journeys that I am comfortable with but on bad days I really have to push myself to do them. The reason why I have re-lapsed recently is due to my car being off the road. So when it comes back out, I'll have a bit of freedom & independence back, but it has pushed me back a bit.

Vickie x

nomorepanic
14-02-06, 20:52
Hi Vickie

Welcome back. Can you remember your previous login name on here atall? or the email address. I can then look you up. Are you the Vickie I used to write to ?

I am currently undergoing CBT for my driving issues (sorry my story made you cry).

I hope we can work at getting you back on track again and give you all the support you need again.

Nicola

angelvickie
15-02-06, 02:53
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Vickie

Welcome back. Can you remember your previous login name on here atall? or the email address. I can then look you up. Are you the Vickie I used to write to ?

I am currently undergoing CBT for my driving issues (sorry my story made you cry).

I hope we can work at getting you back on track again and give you all the support you need again.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 14 February 2006 : 20:52:14</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi,

My name and email address were the same as the one I am using now.

Please dont feel bad....I was crying out of relief in knowing that I'm not on my own. Yours is the closest story that I've read and related 2 & its just good to know that someone else can understand.

Vickie x

jackie
15-02-06, 16:51
hi vicky and welcome back.

hope you dont mind a few newcomers who are willing to help if you need it

have you ever read claire weekes books, im always going on about this book but it really should be read by everyone

take care
jackie

angelvickie
15-02-06, 17:55
Hi Jackie,

Thankyou for the welcome. I dont mind anyones help and also here to help everyone else if any one needs a chat or anything.

I've got the book by Claire Weekes 'Self-Help for your Nerves' and Im also reading a book by Paul McKenna at the moment.

I didnt even realise the book was by Claire Weekes until I just looked at it lol. But it helped me alot and I'm 3 chapters into the Paul McKenna one and it seems to be helping at the moment....so fingers crossed.

Vickie x

jackie
15-02-06, 20:25
vicky is that the one with the cd attached, if it is have you used it. i have the book but havent read it yet. what do you call it?

jackie

Tomimo
15-02-06, 21:56
Hello :)

I'm realtively new so don't remember you from before. I have found this place a brilliant source of support and encouragement and I'm sure you will this time too.

Annie x

jill
15-02-06, 23:06
Hi Vickie

Just want to say welcome back.:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Sue K with 5
16-02-06, 00:11
Hello

and Welcome to NMP ! Thank you for sharing your story, its hard at times to put it all into words and you did it so well.

Take good care and keep sharing this is a great place and you will learn so much from others who have had the same experiences as you

sue with 5

scknight

angelvickie
16-02-06, 01:38
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">vicky is that the one with the cd attached, if it is have you used it. i have the book but havent read it yet. what do you call it?

jackie

<div align="right">Originally posted by jackie - 15 February 2006 : 20:25:25</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Yep its the one with the CD in the back 'Change your life in 7days' I think its called. Im reading it through first of all and finding it helpful. I havent listened to the CD yet but I will the second time I read it through.

Ty for the welcomes Annie, Jill, Sue x

Vickie