PDA

View Full Version : Going back on Prozac after 4 years off

Gordon64
25-06-10, 17:30
Hi

Just decided to go back on Prozac which I last took about 4 years ago-sadly doesn't mean I was med free in this time as I've variously been on Citalopram (hated night sweats), Mirtazapine (worked but sore mouth/extreme lethargy), Sertralene (wound me up like hell), Duloxetine (first and only time I took it I puked like hell and had diarrohea).

My point is I am desperate as I am clinging onto my job and really struggling to cope with life in general-although I used Prozac for many years in the fog of the past few years with depression/anxiety/changing meds I really can't remember how effective it was for me. It must have done something as I just about functioned through a turbulent time in my life though I do recall not particularly liking the emotionless state it seemed to put me in. GP (who has been great with me) was happy to indulge me on this one but got the feeling he definitely had a preference for the newer AD's but as I say they haven't been too successful for me.

Guess what I'm looking for is reassurance from any of you current Fluoexetine users that it has helped you and still does the trick as an effective AD.

Getting desperate if this doesn't work might have to go back to the drink!! (Only joking knocked that on the head a while back)

Any feedback/thoughts appreciated.

KK77
25-06-10, 18:39
I'm sorry to hear that you've given up on the citalopram, Gordon. You seem to have had a bumpy ride with meds... I call it the medi-go-round. I've been on all the meds you mention including some others. Duloxetine was by far the worst. Almost projectile vomiting. Unfortunately I think that mixing all these meds makes us worse. My head was all over the place and I'm sure it was because of the interactions of coming off one and starting another too quickly. I'm on sertraline now.

Fluoxetine is a very long-acting med. It stays in your system for weeks, so my advice would be to stick it out and not change to another AD as you could get terrible side effects. It didn't suit me but it's helped many people here and I'm sure you'll get some positive feedback. Compared to duloxetine it was a stroll in the park so I'm sure you'll be just fine. And the fact that it's helped you in the past is always a good sign that it will again.

Gordon64
25-06-10, 18:54
Cheers Melancholia

I had taken Cit before but forgotten how bad the night sweats were!! Although I'm a bit wary of Prozac too cos when I first had a relapse back in October last year the waterworks really went too and I know Prozac can lead to frequent urination but willing to give it a go. They tested me for any prostate trouble but was given all clear so think it was just stress at the time.

You hit the nail on the head with the old medi-go-round comment-I think half the trouble I'm having is going from one med to another-it's no wonder I'm confused and anxious cos all that stuff's floating about my system.

Doc has given me 7 days supply to see how it goes and I plan to take the first one tomorrow am -must admit I'm apprehensive. I know the Prozac lasts a long time in the system so wary of trying anything new if it doesn't work it's magic too soon-it really is a nightmare at times isn't it?

But I really appreciate your reply-this site has been a real find- just to know others can share their concerns/experiences has been a real help to me.

G

JaneC
26-06-10, 01:01
Hi Gordon, I'm a second time around Fluoxetine taker and it's definitely helped me a lot (again). The bad news is that it took a little longer to work this time, although my doc suggested I might have been having ongoing discontinuation problems from the tricyclic I had been taking. in my experience, you might need more than 7 days to find out if it's going to work but good luck!

Gordon64
26-06-10, 13:51
Hi Jane

Thanks for your reply-yeah I know it will probably take more than the week to kick in but definitely going to stick with it this time. It's funny but I've been through a whole load of more new fangled modern AD's and here I am going back on the old stalwart!

Am keeping as positive as I can-I was out for a coffee with a friend earlier and she has been on Prozac for many years and she reckons it has helped her cope with a variety of issues. If only there was a magic pill out there that was fast acting with no side effects but imperfect as it is I know I need it just now.

Hope things work out for you too Jane.

G

jessy
26-06-10, 15:54
Hi Gordon, ive been on flouxitine for 12 weeks now, i am ALOT better now then i was, it did take me about 4 weeks to feel any difference.. I did have some side affects but my panicking made me worse...Even though i still struggle some days, ive gone from 3 panic attacks a day to maybe 2/3 a week, my doc as just upped mine to 40mg aday, so im hoping to feel even better soon.....try stick with them for a few weeks, hopefully they'll work for you too..xx hugs xx

Gordon64
26-06-10, 16:20
Thanks Jessy

I am going to see it out this time-I am glad they have helped you. Am hoping 20mg may be enough for me but if I have to go up to 40 eventually so be it.

Hope you keep progressing.

G

jessy
05-07-10, 21:21
hi gordon, i ws just wondering how your doing on your prozac ?

Gordon64
05-07-10, 22:09
Hi Jessy

Had to give up on the prozac-was making me go to the loo too often!! Back on a low dose of the Mirtazapine-ticking over at the moment but always prepared to go back to doc if I feel I am struggling.

Thanks for getting back to me

Gordon