PDA

View Full Version : really scared to death :(

passingby
25-06-10, 17:58
Hi.
I have never posted on forum before so please bear with me. I have been on Setraline for 9 years after trying lots of other drugs. usually on 50mg to 100mgs but the last 12 months I have been on 200mgs. Went to the doctors tonight and he wants me to stop the 200mg overnight ?? WTF ??? and start on Citalopram tomorrow. I have googled this like mad as it doesnt feel quite right??!! If anyone has any experiences of doing this I would be very grateful if they could share . Love JPB XXXX

jaded jean
25-06-10, 18:46
Hi passing by.
Firstly:welcome:to NMP. make yourself comfortable- as you will get loads of support on here.
I was on fluoxetine for 11 years and it stopped working- then put onto mirtazapine 'overnight' and the same again onto citalopram . the side effects differ to each person but with the rapid changeover I would would say the doctor knows what he is doing. But on that note go back to the doctor and ask if it is ok, I should think it will be as he wouldnt want to put you through any more anxiety.
Keep strong.
Jean:flowers:

Raindog
25-06-10, 19:26
Hi JPB,
Yes, good old Dr Google™, he's probably responsible for scaring more people when they start taking meds than anything else. Welcome to NMP and you've found a good site to help you get through what lies ahead. I would suggest you read PsychoPoet's Citalopram Survival Guide that is stickied at the top of the Cit forum, well worth a read and should help you get a better perspective on what might happen.

Not everybody gets side effects, some people sail through taking Cit and find it starts working pretty quickly, while others may gets spooked by reading some of the negative experiences on forums and convince themselves that they are having every side effect under the sun.

You may find your anxiety is raised a bit over the first week or two, that's something you can get through. Just put up a post and ask for some help if you are feeling more anxious, a lot of us have been through it and it does fade once the meds start winning the fight.

There are plenty of us here willing to offer support and advice as you progress, including myself and Jean, so don't be afraid to come here and ask for that if you feel you need it.

Better days JPB
Shaun

KK77
25-06-10, 20:11
Have a look at this link and print it and show your doctor. Suddenly stopping such a high dose of medication and starting another one without a washout period is asking for trouble. You may be lucky and get away with it but on the other hand you may not.

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=1637482568

passingby
26-06-10, 10:59
Thanks Jean, Shaun and Melancholia. After reading your posts and links I will continue with the Sert until I ring the doctors on Monday . You are ace thanks so much for the support . I feel less anxious now xxx