PDA

View Full Version : What to do about ginger?

ElizabethJane
26-06-10, 22:38
This true story is about a neutered ginger tom. He has ginger and white striped tabby markings. He is a bit on the large side as he enjoys his food. He forced himself into my sisters kitchen in the winter because he was cold and hungry. He lives with her own cat 'Saffy' 'Ginger' as we dont know his name has been living with my sister for six months. She does not know where he has come from and he has paws firmly under the table. The problem is that my sister can no long afford to feed two cats especially 'Ginger' who is a really hungry cat. The cats protection have a FIVE month waiting list before they will take him on. So what shall I do. I already have a cat a small black cat called 'Phoebe' How will she get on with poor old Ginger. How will Ginger get on being taken to a third new home? Will he be aggressive towards Phoebe or eat birds/next doors guinea pig?? In my heart I want him but then he will need to go to the vets for an mot injections. The feeding part wont be too bad as I will wean him onto the 'hills' diet so there is less likely that he can gorge himself. Cats protection will come and scan his neck to see if he has a micro chip and possibly an owner. After all this time I think not. What would you do? If I dont take him then we shall advertise him free to a good home. Poor old Ginger. If I take him on I will change his named probably to one sounding the same like Jasper or Casper or something?

ElizabethJane
26-06-10, 22:40
He has found an old dog bed which has claimed his own. His is so long that his body fills over the sides!!

Danath
26-06-10, 23:26
see what your options are with the pdsa hun, they've been really helpful for my cat

pollyanna
27-06-10, 19:54
Hi EJ

Poor old ginger, i think your sister has done well keeping him sheltered and fed up until now, if you cant find him another home, would it be possible for you to help out your sister with gingers food bill etc, it would save the uprooting of ginger and all that entails to him and your own cat phoebe,... just a thought.... its a tricky one, you want whats best for everyone all round, but you are torn in a few directions.

let me know how it goes... hope he finds a permanent home soon xx

P x

jamesolivers
18-07-10, 08:47
Ginger is a tuber which is used in medicine, herb or delicacy. Aromatic, pungent and spicy, ginger adds a special flavor and zest to Asian stir fries and many fruit and vegetable dishes. I like this. I actually cool mine off for iced ginger tea as well.

Bluebelle
18-07-10, 22:48
I LOVE this is story !

This little story had completely restored my faith in humans ! You and your sister are angels on earth for taking time with "Ginger". This is a beautiful example of truly caring and compassionate people. Well done on both of you !

It sounds like he has a gentle personality and could be okay with your Phoebe- initially there are always some hostilities but they could have a good friendship.

It sounds like he hasn't been "missed" from his previous home if his owners haven't posted or searched for him- so I would KEEP him !

Sometimes advertising for a new home is challenging-especially if you're like me and don't want people phoning or visiting.

Maybe you could try adopting him and if eats birds or fights with Phoebe you could try advertising for a new home. I can't imagine him eating next door's guinea pig- how would he get inside to get at the guinea pig?

Let us know what happens!

YvonneBelle
18-07-10, 23:01
Ooh, I've been torn in just the same way! In my case I phoned the vet and asked their advice and they gave me a list of possible places that re-homed without putting animals down and I went with my gut and found a really nice place that re-homed "Pud" successfully.

As for Ginger - it sounds to me like both you and your sis have a very soft spot for him and would be reluctant to see him go!

Also, cats have a habit of choosing their owners. If you re-home him he won't have a choice, someone will choose him. That was my dilemma because in a way Pud chose me but then I rehomed her (I couldn't afford to keep her, plus I'm allergic and I felt soooo guilty at first but now I don't regret that decision at all).

Ginger sounds like a lovely cat...

I would think of every possible way of keeping him (like sharing the food bills) and yes, PDSA or other charities for cheaper vet bills. If neither of you can or want to, then as a last resort research places that re-home pets and do house checks. If you're anything like me you'll be fussy about his new owners!