PDA

View Full Version : Peeing constantly on Prozac

Gordon64
27-06-10, 00:38
Well Prozac ain't going to be for me either.

Back in October I started to take some Prozac which I still had left over from a previous depressive episode-I then had two nights solid of going to the toilet to pee what seemed like every 5 minutes. I didn't make the connection with the Prozac and had prostate tested etc... I was clear.

Came off Prozac and onto Mirtazapine and problems eased but again didn't make the connection because doc put me on Tamsulosin so assumed that had eased the problem. Have never had strongest bladder (probably anxiety related) but no real problems since UNTIL TONIGHT-and guess what? I took a Prozac this morning.

Funnily enough I was on Prozac for years and remember going to the loo a helluva lot but not as much as this.

I have just checked the net and it appears it is recognised that in a very small number of people Prozac can have this extreme reaction-would appear I am one of the unlucky ones.

Having to pass water every 5 mins ain't my idea of fun so back to the docs on Monday to get onto something else.

So weary right now but not panicking cos haven't had this on Mirt, Cit or Sertralene so know it's the Prozac.

I don't want to put anybody off Prozac cos it works wonders for some and not everybody will be affected this way but out of interest would be interested to know if anybody else had to give it up cos of this.

Really weird but I'll get onto something that works for me I know I will.

sequeena
27-06-10, 00:47
Hi I'm currently on 20mg of prozac and yes I've noticed an increase in my toilet trips. I'm not sure if it's because of the meds or because I drink a lot of water :roflmao:

Gordon64
27-06-10, 01:00
Hi Sequeena

It's really strange isn't it?-I've not had this problem on any other type of AD but it was sufficiently bad last October I thought something was seriously wrong hence the prostate check and also got checked out for possible urinary infection.

For me it's a dealbreaker I'm afraid-no point taking a medicine designed to ease my depression and anxiety when it only increases it cos I cant sleep for constantly going to the loo. back to the drawing board then...

sequeena
27-06-10, 01:05
Hi Sequeena

It's really strange isn't it?-I've not had this problem on any other type of AD but it was sufficiently bad last October I thought something was seriously wrong hence the prostate check and also got checked out for possible urinary infection.

For me it's a dealbreaker I'm afraid-no point taking a medicine designed to ease my depression and anxiety when it only increases it cos I cant sleep for constantly going to the loo. back to the drawing board then...

Not that I'm the best person to advise what meds to take but have you tried citalopram? I was on it but had to switch to prozac as my body was turning the citalopram into a sedative. It was great because I have insomnia but I would literally sleep for 9 hours, get up and take my tablet and zonk out for another 10 hours.

Gordon64
27-06-10, 01:14
Yeah I tried Citalopram but the Night Sweats were something rotten-absolutely soaked.

I feel as if I'm "dissing" every AD put to me but seem to be prone to side effects. Best AD I've tried recently was Mirtazapine but it gave me severe sore gums and mouth also lethargy was pretty bad BUT it did help me function fairly well. Somebody has already suggested taking the Mirt in another form so that might be a possibility. But the constant having to change AD's in a bid to find the right one is getting me down a bit, still I'll keep smiling (just):)