PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone, looking for some advice... and support if possible

sequeena
27-06-10, 00:43
Hello everyone, my name is Sarah, I'm 21, I live in South Wales with my fiancé and our 3 dogs, 1 cat and 5 kittens :)

I am suffering from what my doctor has called 'severe depression'. I am currently taking 20mg fluoxetine (was on 20mg citalopram but my body turned it into a sedative so all I did was sleep).

I'm not sure how much info I am allowed to put here but basically I was sexually abused for 10 years by my step father. In March it all came out and I (along with my niece - another story) was taken to a SARC center.

Since then I have self harmed and that is why I was put onto anti depressants.

I am receiving help from my GP, victim support and I've just got in touch with Mind. I've been assessed by 2 mental health nurses but won't be able to see a psychiatrist for about 18 months and SARC are great ... but they cannot help with what happened to me as my case is ongoing.

I never was an outgoing person, I'm 21 and done all my partying days but I have totally cut myself off. I cannot bear to go out alone (I do try to force myself for the sake of my dogs). I cannot be around strange men, I can't sleep, I either don't eat for days or over eat, I am anxious all the time etc.

I feel like a shell of my former self. I don't do any of the things I used to do. I haven't worked since May 2009 due to other problems and my OH earns enough to keep us both but I feel like a failiure and a waste of space.

I don't have anyone to talk to either. My OH bless his soul has been so understanding but he has said to me NOT to tell him the details of what happened to me as he's not yet sure he would be able to look at me the same way (it sounds terrible I know but he's worried he will look at me and see HIM which I understand). My mum is pushing me to tell her what happened but I just can't bring myself to tell her. Why is it I can tell the police all the details but not her?

Anyway, thanks for reading. I really appreciate it :)

nomorepanic
27-06-10, 01:13
Hi sequeena

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

bucketofsnakes
27-06-10, 02:04
Hello Sarah
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you find some support here, Your story is very sad and I can relate to your state of mind. You sound very depressed and you clearly feel that your life is on hold. I have a feeling reading your post that the mental health proffesionals ought to consider an anxiety disorder. There is a helpful section on this site describing the different anxiety disorders.
Jan

sequeena
27-06-10, 02:39
Hello both thank you for your replies :)

I think you are most probably right Jan. It's literally only when I'm sleeping or safe with my OH that I do not feel anxious. It's starting to take over my life :(

bucketofsnakes
27-06-10, 02:59
Your so young and you have a future, anxiety makes us old, I hope you get the help you need.

sequeena
27-06-10, 03:26
Thank you :)

To top it all off one of my neighbours is having yet another rowdy party. I rang 999 who told me to ring 101 (understandably) yet to ring 101 costs 10p a minute. I have no credit in my phone and my OH is at work. I now have to suffer through this which is only adding to my stress (I have to go out with my dogs when it is dark and I am not comfortable being so close to strange drunk men) :mad: