PDA

View Full Version : Offensive OCD Doll on TODAY WITH DES & MEL!!!

Allie
15-02-06, 01:19
Last week a range of so called 'WEIRD' action figures were featured on the daytime television show TODAY WITH DES & MEL, in which a doll with 'OCD' complete with free wet wipes was featured as part of a so called 'LIGHT HEARTED' article.

As a sufferer of OCD and related conditions, I was really upset that such an item should have been featured as it openly made fun of this very real medical condition.

I was in tears and also very angry at the fact that host Des O'Connor quipped and i quote ' How could anybody live with somebody like that?'

Knowing that this sort of opinion has been aired freely on daytime TV, does anyone else agree with me that this was most inappropriate in nature, a senseless jibe and most ultimately uninformative to those who may not know of OCD and anxiety conditions thus creating a misrepresentaion of the condition ?

What can we do to ensure that OCD sufferers are treated with the respect we deserve and not merely treated as freaks to be made a mockery of in future?

I am most concerned!

Please let me know you thoughts.

Allie

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

Phill2
15-02-06, 03:31
When Monk the OCD suffering detective was first on TV I was appalled but now I watch it every week so can say "At least I'm not as bad as him" but I must say the doll sounds inappropriate.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

Trish
15-02-06, 09:29
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I was in tears and also very angry at the fact that host Des O'Connor quipped and i quote ' How could anybody live with somebody like that?'
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Allie why don't you email the programme and let them know how you feel? I do not suffer with OCD, but i can understand you being upset by the remark.

Go on give them a blast...

kate
15-02-06, 10:49
I had already read about these dolls on an OCD forum that I visit.

The members there had mixed reactions to them. Some of them actually thought they were amazing and laughed at them. I must admit they shocked me personally.

It seems to me to be another case of taking the p**s out of mental illness.

Kate

Allie
15-02-06, 23:40
These dolls just hurt my feelings. The fact that someone thought that it would be funny to make money out of having a laugh at someone elses expense is too much for me to handle at the moment.

I can take the proverbial out of myself but find it inapproriate when people who have no real experience of such matters find things so funny! I mean can you imagine living with Des o'Connor for example, an absurd hilarious nightmare for most of us, but think of his family...!

My mom sent an email to the programme but it has not been replied to.

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

Chardonay
16-02-06, 22:50
That is just an insult on people with ocd.
I have suffered with it fot the last five years and do have to carry wet wipes with me.
How would the people who designed this doll feel if they had it.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror