PDA

View Full Version : Hello! My first time on NMP and my first day on beta blockers!

izzywizzy
28-06-10, 19:55
Hello All,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am twenty something Mum of two, who has pretty much had anxiety in a variety of forms since I was a small child.

After four weeks struggling with some full on physical panic attacks I finally gave in and went to the docs! He's put me on propranolol 10mg x3 daily. I've taken my first one and it seems to have taken away the adrenalin rush/palpitations. I'm sitting here a little bit tight chested though, and naturally slightly concerned. Anyone been on these and have any advice?

Looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing and listening to anxious tales!

Thanks for reading N x

diane07
28-06-10, 19:56
Hi izzywizzy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Baggs
28-06-10, 22:55
Welcome to NMP. I hope that this site helps you as much as it's helped me. All the best. Baggs.

giggles
28-06-10, 23:02
its my 1st day here too. i have suffered anxiety panic attacks and agorophobia for 25 yrs

nomorepanic
28-06-10, 23:12
Hi and :welcome:

Have a read of the posts in this forum - dedicated to this medication....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Veronica H
29-06-10, 10:59
:welcome:to NMP. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax

izzywizzy
29-06-10, 22:21
Hello All,

Thank you for your replies. Looking forward to getting to know you all. The beta blockers have been great today, as it was my first day back on placement (i am a student nurse). Only got 6 more shifts before my summer break and I'm praying I can make it until then without falling to pieces! Still having lots of problems with swallowing and breathing, which seemed to have got worse as the day goes on. I've had to suck Polos virtually all day just to keep some saliva production going!

I have had anxiety in the past, but it has been more about thoughts and the occassional notion of wetting myself in public or fear of writing obscene emails! (Seriously the list is endless- I will not bore you all).

I have always managed to eventually tackle my anxieties in the past but these physical reactions are really tricky! I have been trying to 'allow' the feelings but it's thus far not working. Any tips on how to deal with the swallowing would be great, as I feel like my throat is going to close up or I'm going to choke on my food!!

Welcome to fellow newbies as well by the way, lets hope we can all get through this by helping eachother.

Take care,
Izzywizzy x