PDA

View Full Version : Fear of exercise?

pinkynicca
29-06-10, 05:20
hey all, does anybody have a fear of exercise? perhaps worried about getting your heart beating hard, i use to work out alot, lost 100lbs, but lately been putting weight back on because of scared to run, i gotta stop and check my pulse. i wont go into detail but, there no possible feeling that will make me feel better, either its to fast to slow, to soft, not pounding hard enough, got a pain on the right side of sternum, almost feels like i can feel it in my back, now im freaking, also had a flutter or something when in a full sprint, im so outta shape right now... im sorry im sure this post sounds dumb but your replies really do make me feel better. thank you all.

StoneMonkey
29-06-10, 07:58
Hey Pinky,
Its hard to say anything on the heart with exercise (Always consult a medical practitioner and all that).
I have ran with a racing heart and it did make me feel hotter and more uncomfortable.
With regards to weight loss there may be other alternatives to running.
It may not be the highest calorie burner. This is from memory but I think I read that an hour jogging only burns double an hours fast walking. Sprinting is different as it is more explosive.
I must admit I do love running for the high.
You could look into resistance training. There was some evidence that the gals looking to loose weight should get off the tredmills and head to the weights room.
I think they were saying that weight training the major muscle groups like Leg press, Squatts and chest press burn some serious calories with heavy weights.
Its might be worth a look. :)
Simon.

molly36
29-06-10, 16:11
Hi there i too have the same problem at the moment ,every time my pulse goes up i freak.I have the treamill in the house and i constantly stop to check my pulse as i am terrified of it racing as im scared it wont go back down .I now only walk on it .I was the same as you i was very fit last year cycling 15 miles a day up hills and everywhere until this anxiety got a grip of me again.I also have chronic hyerventillation syndrome which makes me feel so tight chested i get scared to exercise .All i can say is try walking at your on pace ,it taes a little longer to get fit but you will get there kind regards molly xx

leodaly123
30-06-10, 09:05
I have a simular problem Molly. I always get pains in my arms and get a tight chest and feel out of breath when I do any level of fitness (even when getting up and walking to the Kitchen in the morning). I'm only 26.

blueangel
30-06-10, 14:06
I have been having this problem for a good while as well. I have no idea what started it off, as it just appeared randomly, but I get very twitchy about exercise - it seems to be flights of stairs that I find particularly scary and I worry about passing out. Stupid woman.... :wacko:

jothenurse
01-07-10, 00:38
I also have this problem. Before my anxiety/panic disorder became bad I was in excellent shape. Ran, walked, mowed the lawn, shoveled snow. Lots of pep. I started having tachycardia from panic attacks. Many EKG's - all normal. Just a fast heart reate (up to 160 bpm one time). They said I could exercise. Lost 20 pounds because I was so scared and was afraid to exercise because I get panicky now when I feel my pulse go up. I am now very underweight. I have pushed myself some and can now take walks or walk on my treadmill. I mow the lawn, though I have a self-propelled mower, but only do a little at a time and then stop if I feel my pulse going up.