PDA

View Full Version : new member

zx123
30-06-10, 10:51
Hi,

I am thirty four years old and I live in south Wales.I have had social anxiety/confidence issues for many years.

I used to be outgoing as a child,but when I was eleven I was moved to a new school ,and that's where my problems started.
I started to get bullied and so I started to withdraw from people and stay indoors all the time.

When I was in school I would never join in with activities and I used to sit in the corner of the class ,
and not talk to anyone because I was afraid if I drew attention to myself they would bully me more.
After about three years of this I started to play truant,and then I had a home tutor until I was sixteen.

When I left school at sixteen I didn't have any qualifications,just very bad social phobia
and for the next ten years I drifted from one thing to another,youth training schemes,
which I would run away from,day hospitals,hypnotherapy, but nothing seemed to work.
It was the mid nineties and I don't think people knew much about social phobia/anxiety at that time.

Eventually when I was about twenty five I started to take medication for my social anxiety problems,
and I found that it did help a lot, I started to go out more and more and meet people.
In fact I felt so confident at that time that I enrolled on a course at my local college,
I did an art and design course,which I completed and passed.
I met some nice people there and I found it to be a very good learning experience.

That was a few years ago now,and since then I have done some charity work,and some other things,but at the moment my life just seems to have come to a full stop.
I dont go out as much as I used to,I just seem to spend all my time in the house.

Thanks

nomorepanic
30-06-10, 10:53
Hi zx123

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes