PDA

View Full Version : Those of you who suffer from migraines...

Lissy43
30-06-10, 20:38
can you explain to me what they feel like?

I am having headaches occasionally, but i've had 2 in the last 16 days and I am a tad concerned. I saw my GP yesterday and he said he thought it was more likely to be tension. He said as they were always changing sides it was unlikely to be a migraine, do they usually affect the same side of your head when you get them?

I am just abit on edge at the moment because I've had 2 in the last few weeks, I am such a worryguts:winks:

i love tea
30-06-10, 21:42
I don't get migraines but one of my best friends does - his start with visual disturbance (flashing lights) and then the headache starts. But it's not just a headache - it's very bad pain, usually in the same place, that normal painkillers don't touch - and feeling very sick. He cannot see well enough to drive during the attacks, or bear bright lights etc. Afterwards he feels very washed out for a day or so.

I really don't think you're having migraines hun - maybe you're a bit dehydrated because of all the hot weather at the mo? :hugs:

Lissy43
30-06-10, 21:53
Thanks hun, your reply is appreciated:-)

I start with like a heaviness in my cheek, forehead, ear, back of head and jaw, all on the one side (was my left this time), it's like a stiff, tight, throbing feeling. Like I need to relax to make it go but it can't. I did notice when I took my mind off it talking to mum it felt alot bettr (although not gone). It always hurts likme a brick rumbling around at back/top of my head on that side when I stand up and sit down suddenly, just for a few seconds, but then it eases off.

I had 4 hrs sleep that night, woke at 4am for the toilet and noticed my head felt fine, I guess a migraine would not go that quickly.

I have no other symptoms, such as visual disturbances or sickness.

My GP thinks it could well be tension, they jsut seem to hit and don't go unless I sleep. They are nasty and feel tight, but not pain as such, hard to explain. More like a tense throb.

i love tea
30-06-10, 21:59
Tension headaches can be horrible things...

When you mentioned that it hurt in your face, I wondered about sinuses too - have you had a cold lately or do you get hayfever? Just a thought.

Hope you're feeling better soon hun :)

Baggs
30-06-10, 22:12
My migraines use to start with a floaty thing in the centre of my vision, then a piercing headache then I was sick. Sometimes vigorous excercise would bring them on. All the best. Baggs.

Lissy43
30-06-10, 23:12
They do say migraine pain is piercing, so very painful I imagine.

Yes I do suffer with my sinuses and hayfever, no cold recently though, and my hayfever hasnt' been too bad, but GP did suspect sinuses and tension.

When i had a headache 3 weeks before this one it was on my right side and it was mainly on the crown of my head on that side, which only hurt when i moved?? like a brick was rattling around, no other symptoms. Again, GP said that's tension related.

Going home
30-06-10, 23:43
Yes your doctor is right, migraines usually affect one side of your head only and ive just got over an attack after three days so i'm feelin a bit delicate just now, but I know i'll be fine in a day or two. I don't get the disturbed vision, and the pain doesn't cripple me so much that i have to lay down in a dark room, but it is still very painfull. I don't really get much of a warning but the pattern is always the same. Always on the left side of my head, starting near the top, then second day down behind my ear and at the back of my left eye. Third day it starts to ease off and usually on the fourth day I wake up with a clear head again, but feel a bit washed out (my word for it is delicate :D) This pattern has stayed exactly the same for me for many years now and it never varies. This is migraine.

The thing is with me though, is that i cannot tolerate strong painkillers, they just space me out and i hate that feeling of not being in control more than the pain of the headache, so i have to rely on ibruprofen and the like. One tip for this is that you can take normal painkillers every 2 hours instead of the usual 4 as long as they are 2 different meds. So I can take paracetamol, then 2 hours later take ibuprofen, then 2 hours after that can take another 2 parecetamol, and these just take the edge off the pain for me.

Yes your headache sounds much like a combination of tension and sinus...very painful they are too.

Anna xxx

Lissy43
30-06-10, 23:59
Thank you.

My headaches change sides. They go over my eye but not affecting the eye. They do go behind my ear, but it affected my jaw alot and back of head, so gp thibks its def tension.

Lissy43
01-07-10, 00:01
Oh and he said migraines don't go after 4 hours sleep;)

Going home
01-07-10, 00:56
That's correct. Anybody who suffers with migraine...whatever their particular pattern is with it, they last alot longer than a few hours at a time....most sufferers go to bed with it and wake up with it for a few days.

Anna xxx

Chem
01-07-10, 01:31
My daughter has suffered migraines for many years. The headaches you describe are definitely not migraines.

Lissy43
01-07-10, 06:39
That's correct. Anybody who suffers with migraine...whatever their particular pattern is with it, they last alot longer than a few hours at a time....most sufferers go to bed with it and wake up with it for a few days.

Anna xxx

Thank you x

Lissy43
01-07-10, 06:40
My daughter has suffered migraines for many years. The headaches you describe are definitely not migraines.

Thank you Chem.

They do sound awful, your poor daughter.

blueangel
01-07-10, 09:28
I've suffered from migraines for many years, and I get the "aura" ones with visual disturbances.

The visual disturbances seem to have quite a well defined pattern, and either start as a zig-zag line which works its way across my vision, or a sort of "wavy spot" in the centre which works its way outwards. This usually lasts anything between 15 minutes and an hour but can occasionally last longer.

The aura is usually accompanied by strange, numb patches on the side of my face affected by the visual disturbances, sensitivity to light, nausea, upset stomach, disorientation and extreme agitation.

I sometimes have problems getting my words out (which really freaks me out as I think I'm having a stroke) and occasionally have had blind spots in my vision.

The headache tends not to come on immediately, but builds up over a period of about an hour or so, and is always on the opposite side of my head to where I've seen the visual disturbances. It varies in intensity, but is always a "hot" pain that not like other headaches, and often it doesn't respond very well to painkillers. the headache will last for anything from 1-3 days and I often feel very foggy and delicate for a while afterwards. I also find a very bad attack can affect my memory, and sometimes I've lost parts of days.

And this lot is why I take beta-blockers to suppress them!!!

Lissy43
01-07-10, 13:47
They sound awful.

Thank you for replying and helping to put my mind at ease. xx