PDA

View Full Version : Calf muscles twitching like crazy - CANNOT be anxiety

Gareth
01-07-10, 13:24
Hi,

So I wake up this morning and my calf muscles, all over both calves, are going absolutely crazy with twitching. Been going on about an hour now and showing no signs of slowing down. Getting worse if anything.

You cannot tell me that this is anxiety. I am on 30mg of Citalopram which helps my anxiety greatly, but still I get this random symptom.

I can see from Google that this is ALS... I am sure of it this time. How on earth would anxiety in the mind make muscles twitch like mad, first thing in the morning, when I am rested and had a good night's sleep?

I don't really care anymore. Bring it on. Hopefully it will be fatal quickly.

countrygirl
01-07-10, 18:59
Oh yes I can!! almost all muscle twitching is from a harmless source be it tension/ just plain tiredness/ lack of vitamins like magnesium. If you as someone without health anxiety if they ever get twitching muscles they will all say yes at times but they don't worry about it.

If you don't have definite weakness in your muscles as in falling over or dragging your leg! then twitching muscles is annoying but harmless.

I can get terrible twitching in my leg muscles for weeks on end and I will also get it in other places at same time like half way up back/ lips and eyelids. The lips one is good as everyone can see it happening:blush:

Even though you are taking a antidepressent that helps anxiety it is not a cure all and you will still have overall body tension. The more you worry thel onger the twitches last I'm afraid.

suzannacorfu
01-07-10, 19:55
I"m with Countrygirl on this one Gareth! Muscle twitching is a sign of anxiety. Don't forget that not all anxiety is obvious to us. We can be extremely tense without "feeling" anxious! Sometimes when I wake up in the morning my whole back from neck to pelvis twitches! I agree with the Magnesium that Countygirl mentioned. I take supplements
Suzi

nomorepanic
01-07-10, 20:03
This is from the symptoms page on the left:

Muscles, muscle tension, stiffness, muscle twitching, tight scalp or neck

What you feel:

You feel like your muscles are always tight or strained, sometimes to the point of frequent pain, or even persistent and ongoing pain. Some may also find the pain so restricting and debilitating that it prevents physical activity, and sometimes to the point of becoming bed ridden. It's also common to experience pain or cramps in any of the body's muscles.

A particular joint in your body feels unusually stiff and sore, or hard to move. It may even feel arthritic. Sometimes you feel you may be 'seizing up'.
For no apparent reason, a particular muscle will begin to twitch. This twitching will continue for an unusual amount of time before it stops of its own accord. Sometimes it twitches so long it becomes sore, and may continue on and off for days.
You may feel that your scalp is sore, has shooting pains, or that the back of your neck and head are very tense. Even though there is no apparent reason for this, they continue to.
What causes this:

Stress biology causes muscles to contract (tighten) so that the body is more resilient to an attack. The higher the stress biology, the more tense the muscles will be. Some people experience mild tenseness while others may experience great pain, sometimes to the point of immobility. Others experience uncontrollable muscle twitching. It can be one particular muscle over and over again, or it can be a wide variety of muscles. Sometimes the twitching can last for days.
Regular exercise helps to keep tight muscles relaxed. Some find relief through massage therapy or warm baths.

As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.