PDA

View Full Version : Doing nothing is the food for anxiety

The Raven
01-07-10, 17:03
Hi folks,

I have been doing a diary on the medication thread (for Cipralex) about the battles I have had in first of all trying meds and then tryign to beat my depression, anxiety and panic (which I call my DAP) without meds.

Anyway, I just did my latest thread about an issue and I wonder if other people agree with what I said.

One of the worst things about DAP is it leaves you with no energy, no enthusiasm and leaves you thinking about yourself and your problems all the time. It bores me to death the amount of time I think about myself and my problems and you can see why we sufferers ofen refer to this as the 'selfish disease'.

Anyway, today has been my best day in a long time - probably a month - and that is because I have kept myself so busy I haven't let my DAP get a foothold . I included this line in my diary and wondered if anyone agrees/disagrees.....

"Totally unexpectedly I am probably having my best day in ages. It has not been anxiety-free (oh no, far too much to ask) but I have made myself really busy due to work circumstances and have not had much time to indulge in the self-analysis that sadly characterises my DAP (depresion, anger and panic) when I let it.

I have often said to myself that 'laziness is the food that feeds my DAP' because when I do nothing (and that is usually because I just don't have the energy to do anything) I feel much worse.

Today I made myself so busy that DAP hasn't had a look in."

I wonder if this is one of the tricks to help us beat this horrible thing? Make ourselves so busy we just don't let our problems get a 'sniff'. I know it is easier said than done but if I compare today for example with a recent weekend when I had no plans and ended up feeling truly horrible because I had nothing else to think about I know which was better from an anxiety point of view.

So, 'laziness is the food that feeds depresion, anxiety and panic'. Agree?

Kind regards

Sam

PS You can find my diary if you are so minded at http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=678748#post678748

supersezza
01-07-10, 17:19
Agree a little bit....nothing leads to well nothing!

I find it hard not to burn myself out though.

noticing thoughts and challenging them or just watching them sometimes helps me.

interesting idea though.. : )

JaneC
01-07-10, 17:22
Hi Sam, largely agree from my experience. Most of the time I feel better when I'm doing stuff, especially when my mind is occupied or when I've given myself a kick up the butt and got something useful done. I'm just not 100% sure it everybody is capable of getting on with life this way and I do feel some people (inc me, I think) have to watch they don't end up doing too much and getting stressed out.

Just my view, glad you are having a good day, hope you have many more x

Oddfish
01-07-10, 18:47
I agree. I find it very difficult to motivate myself and to avoid isolating myself and wallowing in my problems when I am depressed. In one way it is comforting but ultimately you are not achieving anything and avoidance generally makes you feel even more anxious about doing things. If you can busy yourself it is easier to cast aside the self-obsession, even if it is just a little thing, and I always feel good afterwards. Too much though and it goes the opposite way - burn out.

Kieran
01-07-10, 20:08
Yup, agree totally.

You do nothing you think about your problems and its a bit of a viscious cycle.

It's difficult because you have no motivation to do things, which makes it harder for you to eventually do stuff. Just getting over the first few hurdles is probably the worst of it. After that, you begin to realise that doing things is fun.

simona57
03-07-10, 11:21
i quite agree with JaneC and i advice you to take the meds and the treatment. It happens like feeling lazy,depresion, anger and panic. I agree with you and i advice to take the treatment.

:ohmy: