PDA

View Full Version : dentist.....teeth to be removed on sat!!!

mummy4
01-07-10, 18:50
hi all i have posted few times regarding the dentist (as i am very scared)

went for a consultation in june and was told because my bmi was high (around 39 :blush:) the dentist was not keen on sedating me which i have to say im not too bothered about.

i am going in this sat at 10.45am to have 1 wisdom tooth removed (bottom right) and also 1 bad tooth removed (upper left second one from the back) this is going to be done with a local in each gum, now is this the same thing they use when they give you a filling?

people have been telling me having a wisdom tooth out is awful and im more worried about this this one than the other tooth that is to be removed, is this true?

am interested in hearing anyones advise or anyone who had had a tooth/teeth out with just a local if so how was it for you, as bad as you expected it to be?

both my teeth are chipped and are basically half teeth which is making me worry a little more as im not sure its going to be very straight forward xx

diane07
01-07-10, 19:21
I've had all four wisdom teeth taken out by local and it was fine, its a bit stronger stuff that they use for having a filling done and you'll be numbed up so you won't feel a thing.

Don't worry about your tooth being chipped the dentist will still be able to get at it.

you'll be fine.

di xx

mummy4
01-07-10, 19:25
thanks di :)

im also worried the stuff they use will make me feel dizzy for some odd reason, so does it?
i have a real fear of being dizzy and fainting and do not want to feel like this through having the local xx

mingsy
01-07-10, 19:38
:)Hi
Try not to worry, easier said than done I know. I worked in dentistry for 20 years. A local anaesthetic is the same as what you have for fillings. As for the teeth being broken, you don't actually remove the tooth by the crown of the tooth, but just below gum level. Wisdom teeth are sometimes more difficult, one of the main reasons are that they are impacted ( growing at a funny angle ), but more often than not they just more akward because they are so far back in your mouth.
As for sedation, ask if they can give you Gas and Air ( what you have in labour), this just takes the edge of things and is perfectly safe and leaves your system straightaway.
Good luck

diane07
01-07-10, 19:43
No mummy, its never made me feel dizzy at all, i normally tell the dentist to let me sit up after the injection just to give the injection time to work, before you know it it will be out.

di xx

Vixxy
01-07-10, 20:35
Hi Ive had 8 teeth out in total. All 4 wisdom teeth and 4 teeth because I had a brace fitted when I was younger.
Ive only had one taken out with a local, although this was before my anxiety started, so I cant really give any afvice other than at the time I was fine. It just felt like someone was tugging at my head lol.
The only problem I had was that I bled too much, hence why Ive had the rest done under general so they can stitch me up again. Dont worry about bleeding, its just me. Im a bit broken lol.
I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago, and I didnt need to take a single pain killer once I was home from hospital. Which is silly as everyone says its the worst teeth to have removed. Pfft lol
Just buy yourself some soft cheese, mousse, ice cream or yoghurt to eat for a few days :)

mummy4
01-07-10, 21:10
thank you so much for the replies.

jane, thanks for your advice. i wont be opting for the gas and air though ( i have never had a single thing with all 4 of my daughters lol)

the things im worried about most is feeling dizzy (though i am a lot anyway due to anxiety) and being pinned in the chair for a while oh and the needle as i hate the bloody things lol. any idea how long it will take for the numbing to take effect and the process altogether???? x

diane07
01-07-10, 21:44
the numbing takes minutes hun, the process depends, sometimes it takes a few minutes sometimes it takes a bit longer, in all honesty i hate having teeth pulled, its the thought of having it done that makes me so anxious, but to be fair everytime i have had it done i always think, you silly moo di, it wasn't as bad as you thought.

I totally understand your fear, and a great psychotherapist told me a few years ago, stop going through the process in your head as i may aswell have had that extraction done over and over again before i'd even had it done, its just hard, but i bet it won't be as bad as you think.

I actually remember having one tooth taken out and i didn't even realise he had taken it lol!

di xx

mummy4
02-07-10, 09:37
thanks so much di your post means so much. today i am a little nervous with it only being tomorrow but not as much as i thought i would be. am trying to think positive as best as i can. apparently everyone gets allocated a 45 min time scale whatever they are having done so am trying to think hopefully they will get me in and out in a hurry!! x

diane07
02-07-10, 10:02
honestly hun, i too have thought that way, and i'm normally concentrating so much on what hes doing, before i know it, the time has gone by in a flash and its all done.

I was taught when i sit in the chair, to close my eyes and imagine its all done and i'm walking out the dentist and how good it feels, to concentrate on how bright everything looks outside, sounds silly but it helped me massively, i was told to think and concentrate on that on the days leading up to going, it was like a form of relaxation, it may help you too.

di xx

mummy4
02-07-10, 11:44
i will try that! may also take my ipod along!

just spoke to a friend and she said 'when i had a tooth out it was much worse than i expected it to be' great, not! but i know it does not mean it will be that way for me.

also spoke to my dad he said 'i had 5 teeth out at once and he just made me sit in the chair after incase i felt dizzy or faint' omg thats my worse fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! x

diane07
02-07-10, 13:00
oh i try not to ask anyone about the dentist, someone always comes out with some sort of horror story lol, its similar to when your pregnant and someone tells you how awful their birth was..............your like.............cheers, great, thats just what i wanted to hear..............not!!

barbn
02-07-10, 13:48
I have had a total of eight teeth removed - all four of my wisdom teeth (went just fine) and 4 other teeth before I had my braces put on (yes, I was an adult with braces). Now, my dentist has this wonderful stuff he rubs on my gums first - that numbs where he is going to give me a shoot - I rarely even feel the shot itself. And I have never felt any type of dizziness!! You are going to feel a bit of pressure and a pull here and there - but no pain. It doesn't take long - I think it took longer to wait for me to numb up then to actually pull the teeth. I like Diane's idea - close your eyes and tell yourself - this is a very small part of my life and before I know it I will be home and this will be over with!! And you know what - befor eyou know it it will be Sunday and you will be telling us what a great job you did!! ;-)

mummy4
02-07-10, 23:00
aw thanks for your reply :)

am really nervous this evening but am hoping its one of those the thought was much worse than the situation things!

well done you for having 8 teeth out :) makes me having 2 out look like a right wimp lol am so glad i have got a morning appointment as i really cant wait for it to be over!

should i feel ok after??

Megan73
02-07-10, 23:19
Good Luck for tomorrow, you will feel so pleased with yourself once it is done.

I had 4 teeth taken out with a local, although it was a while ago.

Just ask your dentist to put some numbing gel on your gum first as this will help with the injection. It won't be sore but you will feel a painless sensation when he/she gets a grip of your tooth and rocks it to pull it out. I felt nothing and it was over in seconds I assure you.

My dentist realises I really don't like going and says if I ever need him to stop he will and it is that reassurance that gets me through it, knowing he will stop immediately if I ask. So if you do feel uncomfortable agree with him/her that you will raise your hand. Having that control will make it so much better.

As to dizziness you won't be as you aren't having any drugs that will make you light headed.

I hope it goes well and you go through with it, good luck and don't dwell on the procedure tonight, every time that thought comes into you head either think of something of the present moment or how good you will feel after the event. I know putting it into practice is not easy, been there but all the best for tomorrow.

Megan:)

mummy4
02-07-10, 23:22
thanks so much megan xx

diane07
03-07-10, 08:49
Thinking of you today mummy4,

let us know how you get on.

best wishes

di xx

mummy4
03-07-10, 16:39
hi all

i got to the hospital at 10.45am and waiting for 45 mins then was called upstairs where i had to wait for a further hour!! i was so tempted to walk out several times as i found the waiting the worst part.

i met the dentist who was lovely and i explained i was very nervous and he siad 'oh dont worry you will be fine' i thought yeah yeah i bet they say that to everyone!!

anyway i was called in at 12.30 (by which point i was starving lol) and i sat in the chair and started to cry a little. i had 1 injection in the outside of my gum which was fine and 1 in the roof of my mouth (ouch that one bloody hurt lol) there was lots of pulling and before i knew it my tooth was out!!!!!!!! i sat up and waited a min and i was back out with my hubby in the waiting room!!! i then had to wait 10 mins to be discharged.

i was supposed to be having 2 removed, the one which i did and my wisdom one but the dentist said as they were on opposite sides he would just take 1 at a time.

i will have to wait for an appointment to have the wisdom tooth out but i can honestly say after putting this off for a year, and when i think of all the pain i have been through because of my horrid tooth, i dont know why i put it off for so long as it really was not as bad as i expected. it was worse waiting to be discharged where i was so hungry lol.

glad its over now and the numbing feeling had just gone :)

thanks for all your messages xx

mingsy
03-07-10, 17:25
:hugs: WELL DONE:hugs:

doodah
03-07-10, 17:49
Just read your posts and wanted to say WELL DONE to you!!! I bet you're so relieved you've had it done and it's out of the way now. At least, when you have the other tooth out, you know that it won't be as bad as you imagine.
:yesyes:

mummy4
04-07-10, 09:17

well today i am worried............no pain at all and have not taken any pain killers but when i woke this morning i feel really dizzy like a drunk feeling????????? anyone know what this could be????? i also keep getting a sweat on xx