PDA

View Full Version : eating problems

jothenurse
02-07-10, 22:38
Has anybody had trouble with eating? I have through this panic disorder, but I was getting a little bit better, especially eating a little more at night. I am suppposed to be taking some folic acid (vitamin B9) and B12 because my levels are low. I do have a med phobia. I have tried the folic acid about 4 times this past week and I always think that it bothers my stomach. Same with the B12, though I used to take B12 all the time but I had to switch brands so of course now I am afraid to take it. Lately when I try to eat it's like I'm afraid to because it's like, what if I get the gags or an upset stomach? I get really panicky when I have an upset stomach. But, I have lost 20 pounds and with the vitamin deficiencies I really need to get myself to take the vitamins and to eat more. Any help on this? I would really appreciate it.

jothenurse
03-07-10, 13:50
Thank you for your reply.

Vixxy
03-07-10, 14:51
Hey Jo. You're just going through a bit of a blip, you were starting to improve and this has just knocked your confidence. It seems trying to take both meds is putting a lot of pressure on you, so why not just attempt to take one of them until you feel safe with it and then start the other one later on.
I find that only eating stuff that I fancy helps and I listen to relaxation tracks before I attempt to eat.
You'll be ok :)

jothenurse
03-07-10, 17:09
Thanks for the suggestion.

Dahlia
03-07-10, 19:17
Hi Jo

I don't like eating when I'm anxious, and can get anxious when I've eaten - and I gag quite a bit too. Years back, when I wasn't eating, a dietitian suggested a drink called Nestle Build-Up. I don't know if they have them in the States, but they are milkshakes which have lots of nutrition in them. They come in packets, and you mix them with milk. I think they are meant for convalescents, but I think dieters also drink them instead of eating a meal. You can buy them in pharmacies. Anyway, she said it was a good way to get nutrients when I couldn't face food. For some reason, a drink didn't seem to be as bad as actual food for me.

Dahlia

Dahlia
03-07-10, 19:21
This is the stuff I'm talking about....

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/nestle-nutren-build-up-nutrition-shake-strawberry_1_27496.html

And here's some on a US chemist website:

http://international.drugstore.com/templates/stdplist/default.asp?catid=28334&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-MCN&trxp1=12347&trxp2=28334&trxp3=2&trxp4=ML

jothenurse
04-07-10, 00:05
Ok. Thanks.
I know I have to eat because of my vitamin deficiencies and my weight loss. But it almost makes it harder to eat because there is so much pressure to eat. Plus, I know I need to take those vitamins, but then I wonder if they make my stomach worse. They probably don't. It's just my anxious feelings about them.

daybyday
04-07-10, 00:59
I lose weight with anxiety also. And I don't need to lose. I will look for some drink I think that will add calories and weight. When I eat, it is healthy foods, and of course those are not fattening. :shrug:

jothenurse
04-07-10, 01:02
I'm just trying to figure out whether the vitamins make it worse or if it's because I think they make it worse. I know I should take them, but am afraid it will make my stomach worse.

daybyday
04-07-10, 01:44
Did you do the b12 injections? I would think that would bypass digestion.

jothenurse
04-07-10, 02:17
I didn't need the B12 injections. When I took the B12 since last July, it got my level back to normal.

Dahlia
04-07-10, 12:12
I lose weight with anxiety also. And I don't need to lose. I will look for some drink I think that will add calories and weight. When I eat, it is healthy foods, and of course those are not fattening. :shrug:

See my post above. These drinks are for people who have no appetite, or people who need to put on weight. As I say, a dietician recommended them to me when I wasn't eating, as a way to gain weight and also ensure I was getting all the right vitamins, minerals, protein etc.

jothenurse
04-07-10, 12:44
I have tried several different types of nutritional drinks, Ensure, Boost, and others. The only kind that tastes a little bit ok for me is the instant carnation breakfast. I can only take sips of this though because you mix it with 8 ounces of milk, and I just can't drink all of that.