PDA

View Full Version : Constant eptopics.

sammie23
03-07-10, 22:16
For the past 4 mon ths iv been suffering with chest pain and eptopic beats :weep:...
Anyhow iv had ecgs done and they have all come back fine, but recently iv been suffering with them really bad. Last night i has 6 eptopics, 1 after 1.. It frightened the hell out of me.. Iv just had one writing this. I have about 30 of them a day. Is this normal? Does anybody else suffer with these like i do :scared15: ????????????

itwillgetbetter
03-07-10, 23:32
Hi,

I too suffer with missed heartbeats it feels like my heart has stopped for a couple of seconds the BANG it fires up again. This can go on for several minutes. I must have 100's in a day and I am often worse just before my period. This has been going on since October 2007. I went for an ECG last week and i felt it was happening all the time I was wired up to the machine..... the ECG said my heart was fine, if anything my pulse a little high.

I often get dizzy and lightheaded but i put that down to anxiety and adrenaline like a wave over my body, i also increase my breathing which i think contributes to the dizziness.

Anxiety can make our bodies do all types of strange things.

Take care xx

countrygirl
04-07-10, 13:24
I have had ectopics for over 25 years and at their worst I get them every 3rd beat so imagine how many of them that is in a day.
I have had endless 24hr ecgs and an echo and they who up every time I have the 24hr ecg but am always told they are a normal abnormality in other words they will not harm you but they do feel very very unpleasant.

One cardiologist said to tme that in general only anxious people feel them - they see people in hospital all the time with constant ectopics but because they are harmless they don't even tell the patient. the only time the cardiologist would be interested is if you had evidence on your ecg of some other heart defect but otherwise as he said they are harmless but horrible.

I have never found out why mine get better and worse - I do have some very single day but do get weeks on end of the really bad ones which are constant. I have tried everything from cutting out caffeine to eating bananas for potassium but never found a sure connection.

Maj
04-07-10, 20:34
Like countrygirl I also suffer from ectopics, every third beat. Almost every day. They did stop for a week or two a few months ago but then came back with a vengeance!! I am convinced that they definitely are caused by anxiety and that your heart seems to get into a sort of pattern which it takes time to get out of when the adrenaline is too much. I'm convinced of this because I don't actually fear them but I find them unpleasant and I hate how tired they make me feel at times. They say when you stop being afraid then the symptoms go, but this is a devil of a symptom that point blank refuses!! My last reading from a monitor was 6000 over 24 hours. I'm still alive and kicking, but agree that they are so uncomfortable at times. They are worse when I'm tired. I'm trying my best just to live with them because I refuse to let them spoil my life. Please don't let them make you stop doing anything. Don't let them win.
Myra x

Going home
04-07-10, 22:14
Can I ask if any of you suffer with your stomach or have digestive problems like feeling very uncomfortable after you've eaten? This can also trigger ectopics. I suffer with them too, have done on and off for years and can still get them in runs that last for days, but have discovered...with the help of my doctor...that as well as gettting them if i'm stressed or anxious, i can also get them if I feel bloated after eating. This can be because of the vagus nerve which runs the length of the body and if this nerve is irritated it can affect the heartbeat. Its not dangerous just very uncomfortable. I started to take an ant-acid chewy tablet (Rennies or anything that makes you burp and so relieves the pressure) a few times a day and I couldn't believe it when the ectopics slowed right down. Just a thought.

Anna xxx