PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety makes me tired and totally unmotivated!

jen2503
04-07-10, 13:42
Is unmotivated a word?! you know what i mean anyway!!

does anxiety make anyone else feel tired,or drained? some days i have so much energy and then others like today i feel rundown as though i just need a break to recooperate.

i also have completely let myself go in the last few weeks. anxiety has come back with a vengance every 2 to 3 days in the last two weeks and ive just looked in the mirror and i look awful!!! my skin is greasy and dull looking. my hair has gone horribly frizzy and yucky and i look like a bloke without make up on. i swear i never used to look this bad!!

i need to start making an effort again. but the problem is with no motivation its hard to care or bother! im bad with housework at the moment too and the house really needs a good clean but i cant find the motivation to do it but then it makes me grumpy when its bad yet i still cant seem to get off my backside to get it done! im stuck in a viscious cycle!

please someone tell me im not alone?!!

Oddfish
04-07-10, 14:42
I have the loss of motivation thing through anxiety and depression and I know how frustrating it is when you really want to do things but can't get yourself going. When I was at the point of looking at myself in the mirror in utter horror, I started to put my makeup on even if I wasn't leaving the house to make me feel better. For chores I'd have to put on my ipod or take the stereo into the kitchen and crank it up with some cheesy tunes to get me through.

MidnightCalm
04-07-10, 15:25
I find myself wanting to do the things my friends are doing but not being able to gather the motivation to get off my bum and do them.
Some days I feel fine and then I'll get really anxious, when that calms down I get pretty tired, I just feel like sitting on the sofa or even sleeping and then I get really annoyed with myself about doing nothing, wasting my life just sitting around, it's a viscous circle.
I've found that when I'm not feeling anxiously ill and I'm rested I start getting the depression, it's stupid how I can never be fully okay.

BubbleBonce
04-07-10, 15:39
You're definitely not alone. I would feel happier if I did a few things around the house......but I can't be bothered.
:blush:

YvonneBelle
04-07-10, 16:05
Hi Jen,

A few weeks ago I suffered a total energy drain and couldn't be bothered to do a single thing! I spent whole days just lounging around, not getting showered, not going out and when I looked in the mirror.... Jesus, the Medusa has probably had better days. :D My face was grey looking, my hair frizzy, bags under my eyes, small puffy eyes, drawn face.... yeuk!! I couldn't even put makeup on without making a complete hash of it.

I'm starting to regain energy since starting Citalopram, getting counselling, plenty of walks in the fresh air and sunshine and joining the local gym for a cheap summer deal.

However, I'm still being a bit lazy around the house. I still sometimes can't be bothered to wear makeup and I have a huge amount of paperwork that I'm still avoiding.

And I bought the soil to re-pot my plants a week ago and still haven't done it. (Actually, I plan to do that today!)

I just about make the bed in the mornings and get myself ready to go out. Anything in the house just feels like a chore.

So yes - I totally understand where you are coming from!! I'm not a lazy sort of person and usually get plenty done in a day. But during the past few weeks everything has been a struggle and I've been feeling good just for getting up, showered and out to the shops!

I would really recommend some form of exercise. Forget the housework and just go for a walk. The housework won't feel any the worse for it but some fresh air might make you feel more like doing some when you get back. Or just do one thing a day, like hoovering or putting the washing in rather than thinking I need to do this, that and the other.

Yvonne :)

jen2503
04-07-10, 16:15
Thank you all for replying.

I did manage to clean the living room wall today cos my daughter had drawn all over it just over a week ago and ive left it but i thought to myself 'im doing that right now' and i did, and it looks lovely and clean and so i feel good for doing it. ive also bleached the toilet and cleaned the bath so thats better than usual. i know its going to take an awful lot of effort but i suppose ive done ok this afternoon.

your right yvonne, after i had a little walk today walking the dog when i got home i decide to clean the wall. maybe i should walk more and get some fresg air instead of sitting around moping about it but sometimes its so hard isnt it. i feel like id got stuck in a rut of messy house and messy mind. step by step may be the best way but it is a pain. id love to be one of those women than run around all day picking up after everyone and making sure everything is in its right place! thats how i want to be but i suppose i shouldnt try to rush myself.

i have got my hubby to agree to help me knock down our shed tomorrow!! and move the sofa tonight so i can then try and sort out the pile of washing while watching tv later and also clean the stain off the carpet too. but i wont push myself too hard cos i dint want to fall back 20 steps because ive worn myself out!

and as for my face (lol) i was talking to hubby and even though he told me im still as pretty as i alwats was (he has to say that cos hes my husband lol) he has told me to order whatever i want from asda this week in our weekly shop cos he has saved some money for me to treat myself so im going to get some facewipes and some lovely face cream and new make up!

i love this site, you are all so wonderful. i feel better already. thank you xx

YvonneBelle
04-07-10, 16:22
and as for my face (lol) i was talking to hubby and even though he told me im still as pretty as i alwats was (he has to say that cos hes my husband lol) he has told me to order whatever i want from asda this week in our weekly shop cos he has saved some money for me to treat myself so im going to get some facewipes and some lovely face cream and new make up!What a lovely hubbie! (Does he have a brother? lol)

How nice. Go ahead and treat yourself! :flowers:

jen2503
04-07-10, 16:31
What a lovely hubbie! (Does he have a brother? lol)

How nice. Go ahead and treat yourself! :flowers:

Lol unfortuantely no he doesnt but you can borrow him next time he annoys me lol

:roflmao:

I have ordered some lovely stuff so im going to be all pampered tomorrow when it arrives!

simona57
05-07-10, 15:19
I was also getting tired and boring. It was making me grumpy when its bad yet i was not able to seem to get off my backside to get it done! Now i am feeling better since 6 months. I think you should take a simple test at the below link. Hope that helps you to figure out what exactly your action should be against anxiety.

:shrug:

Kieran
05-07-10, 15:54
Hi Jen.

This might sound stupid but, if you read what you have put in the OP - what advice would you give?

Sometimes taking a step back and looking at the situation is the best thing you can do.

There have been points in the last few months where I have been a proper mess. Flat has just been disgusting, eating/drinking junk, no exercise, no fresh air. Generally looking and feeling awful.

No matter how much a lack of motivation is affecting me, I have to do my best to at least get started. Once you get started you find things start rolling in one after the other a lot easier.

I cleaned my room, cleaned the kitchen. Bought new bedding, air fresheners, candles - the works. So the flat is better.
I went out and bought plenty of fresh meat, fruit and veg and began drinking more water. I also started going back to the gym. So I start to feel physically better.
I started going out for walks or just sitting on the grass with friends during the day. The social interaction, fresh air and sunlight helps so much too.
I also bought some nice toiletries for myself haha. Pampering to the max. It really did help. Because I was taking care of myself I felt so much better.

It won't take the problems away completely, but taking care of yourself and your environment is a massive step in the right direction.

Sorry to ramble on but hopefully somebody finds something useful here.

jen2503
05-07-10, 16:03
Thank you Kieran

You didnt ramble on atall and it is very useful thank you. you are right, i managed to find a lttle motivation to completely spring clean the whole of the downstairs of the house today. i am now completely knackered lol but it feels good to be able to look at it nice and clean and smile knowing i did it.

We started a new mediterranean diet two days ago and i think its just starting to kick in help me a lttle as i have more energy now than before so hopefully thats now helping too. I'm going to sleep well tonight though!

I have started walking the dog daily (my husband usually does it everyday) which means im getting some fresh air each day and tomorrow i will be spending most of the day in the garden knocking down our shed!!

I know i dont want to do too much too soon but im quite proud of myself and i havent had an anxiety issues since yeasterday morning now so im very happy today.

Jen

Kieran
05-07-10, 16:14
Sounds great. I'm sure you'll start to reap the rewards soon :)

jen2503
05-07-10, 16:18
Sounds great. I'm sure you'll start to reap the rewards soon :)

Thank you. i hope so :bighug1:

shinderuko
02-08-10, 21:21
I'm so grateful I live with grandparents who insist I get up, get showered and get dressed every day. Otherwise I'd live in my pyjamas for days on end.
When I do summon the courage or energy to leave the house I feel like I need a long sleep to get over it. It's ridiculous. Glad I'm not the only one though lol.

Rachel_123
02-08-10, 21:39
girl, i know exactly what it feels like to have no energy. i wake up in the morning and im tired. i go to bed and i'm tired. i feel like i constantly need to give myself breaks because i don't have the energy of other people.

maybe its just a matter of being good to ourselves and giving into what our body needs??