PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics side effects help

countrygirl
04-07-10, 15:56
I posted that I have a vaginal abcess and my Dr has prescribed me max dose co amoxiclav which is amoxicillin with another drug. I started them friday afternoon and today have been hit with side effects. I have in the past had bad wind and loose bowels with antibiotics but possibly becasue I am on max dose it seems much worse than I have had previously - the noises and am constantly farting:blush: its so embarrasing thankfully am at home and I also feel slightly sick and don't want to eat but have to eat when I take the tablet three times a day. I also just feel ill which I didn't do until these xxx things kicked in. In the past the wind and icky feeling has passed in a day for so so hoping.

I am terrified of getting nasty side effects - read the info leaflet that came with them and am now constantly checking myself for rashes and bruises - ever since I read that if you get a sore throat rash and temp stop taking them my throat has hurt!

suzannacorfu
04-07-10, 18:04
Calm down countrygirl! I hear ya!! I am the same but amoxicillin is hard on the stomach that's why you have to eat well. Try and eat some yoghurt or yoghurt drinks like Actimel because the antibiotics destroy the flora in your stomach and bowel and for this reason you get the farting etc. I find actimel great.
I never read the leaflets anymore! I just get all the symptoms! And I also NEVER visit the web for them!
Suz

Rachel W
04-07-10, 22:02
Hi,

ASDA actually sells an organic probiotic yogurt which is really creamy and yummy. It comes in a huge tub but is only good for 3 days after opening it, however it is really well priced and you can always add fruit or something to it but tastes fine the way it is. They also sell those little yogurt drinks too that come in tiny plastic bottles in packs of 10 or more (?).

blueangel
05-07-10, 00:03
I have to take erythromycin when I need antibiotics as I'm allergic to penicillin. It can have pretty dire side effects on my gut :ohmy: and unfortunately, most of them seem to do this to some extent.

the probiotic yogurts are a good idea and remember, you only have to take them for a few days!